• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dropped my bike while parking

BlueJeanZG8

Hi.  I've got a C10. My name is Randy.  I was in my garage, returning from a ride on 8/5/15.  At walking speed, performed a 'Y' turn so I could back into spot.  Sharp turn to right, used front brake to stop (too much). Immediate shift to the right. Bike tipped over.  Bike had cracked fairing scoop, and snapped foot peg / bracket.  I was able to leap off.

Lesson learned - beware use of front brake at low speed sharp turns!  Can cause weight shift and abrupt stop, from which rider can't recover.

It's easy to underestimate the weight of the bike. I feel your pain  :(

The key is to never stop the bike with the bars turned to lock, the weight wants to fall in the direction the bars are turned.

When doing the garage turnabout, I use a slight counter-lean while maneuvering, to feel like the bike is balanced under me.  In other words, a slight lean right while powerwalking left, and vice versa.

Also be very sure of your footing while backing up, I had a drop occur when a boot slipped while backing in a straight line.

I dropped mine at a light when my left foot hit a patch of oil on the road.  Broke my left mirror bracket.  Took it apart and JBWeld'ed it together for 3 weeks until I got my new mirror in.  Better than new now and I'm very cognizant of where my feet go when I stop the bike, anymore.
I'm 5' 7" and 190lbs. so my 2004 1000 is a little tall for me, but I still love it.

I dropped mine today while putting it on the center stand. It's heavy and when it starts to go, nothing you can do. Cracked the lower left fairing. I hope I can fix it with gorilla glue