• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 rear wear bar location?

KretonsLC

I could swear I remember seeing these a few months ago, but now I can't. Does anyone who rides RS 3s know where they are? There's supposed to be a continuous groove where I've circled, but pics of new RS 3s don't show a wear bar there.

Attachments

• Rear tire.jpg
    Rear tire.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
See if (maybe) this helps -- see pic down the page...

I was just looking for it myself as I have a state inspection coming...

About 750 miles on each Bar has less deep groove running across it

Attachments

• frontRS111.jpg
    frontRS111.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 296
  • rear RS 111.jpg
    rear RS 111.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 313
About 750 miles on each Bar has less deep groove running across it

Those aren't wear bars. Wear bars are never that close to the edge of a tire and are always recessed within a tread groove. Your pics are actually part of the tread pattern.

It's not easy to find on the front tire, but here's a pic of it. You can see it's much closer to the center of the tire. I've emailed Dunlop to see if they can provide a pic of where the rear ones are located.

Front tire wear bar.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks - just noticed your post and viewed the pic. I'll go check in a bit and see if I can find the rear ones.

Dang! I looked at each groove on both sides of the tire where the pic showed them to be, and no luck. As I mentioned in my OP, I could swear I saw them earlier this year, but it may have just been the front tire. At any rate, based on where they're supposed to be according to the motorcycle.com pic, the rear should last at least as long as the front, which looks like it'll need to be replaced in perhaps another 1k miles.

At that point I'll have put 12k or so on them which seems pretty decent mileage-wise. I usually got about 14k with Michelin PR 4s, but that was on my Bandit 1250 which was about 200 lbs. lighter than the Connie.

Here is the rear. Oh, and it's kind of a moot point. Your tires are toast. I'd replace them.

WuLlliN.jpg

2jaBvkc.jpg

8bBcwQ1.jpg

Also, on the sidewall of all tires you will notice small pie shaped triangles with the pointed end in the direction of the tread. Those triangles correspond to the tread wear bars are located so when you take your bike for it's inspection the guy at the shop knows exactly where to look for them.

Thanks guys. I haven't revisited this thread lately, but the other day I was talking to my son about the issue and just happened to look down and see one. Weirdest thing after all that hunting. There must've been some kind of dust or dirt that had obscured it before.

Tireguy - I'll definitely remember the tread direction indicator tip when looking for these in the future - thanks.