• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dunlop RS 3 report

nickrides

Well Well Well
I see these Dunlop Road Smart 3 Ads Claiming 12,000 + miles, Ha!
What a load of you know what.
I did a 420 mile Western Colorado loop Wed and when I got home the rear was worn past the tread layer into a lower layer and the front was worn to where the wear bars are flush.
Mileage on this set?
These are not cheap tires.
But they handled great , just not anywhere near the life I was looking for.
Signed
Back to the tire machine.

Thats about what I got on the last 2 sets. I have a new set of the Road Smart 2's to install build date 2019. They are the new versions. They were 164 shipped. My installer charges 50 bucks for both ft/r if I hand carry them in, wheels off the bike and the tires in hand.

I'll let you all know how the 2's work. Trip is planned for mid-May bit due to CV-19 may be pushed up some.

https://www.americanmototire.com/

no sales tax last time i purchased.

The RS 3's were the last set I mounted, not sure how many miles they have right now, maybe 3K, but they are showing the wear. I like how they stick and feel though!

I ordered a set of RS2's from Dennis Kirk yesterday, had a healthy discount on the front- 59 bucks!
Will mount these up  next week and document how far those go.
I'm just kind of shocked how quickly the RS3's wore out.
I saw a couple ads that, I think. they were claiming as far as 15 k on the rear, I was a third of that.
I do get after it some in the corners but i'm sure 90% of my miles were just cruising straight.
All my bikes seem to get somewhere in the 5-6 k range and the RS3's were no different.
Nick

I think I have around 5000 on my rs3's and hoping for a 1000 more but that new flash maybe the death of the rear! 6,000 is abou tall I get out of rear tires.
Wayne

It was interesting when my RS 3's wore out- The tread was gone in areas and there is another black layer down there that popped up before I got into the cords, Does this make sense?
The tread was gone but under it is another rubber layer before you hit the cords.
I'm going to try and mount my new tires myself, i'm going to try and cut the old tires off  [ ha! that sounds like a battle ] and put the new ones on using the ziptie method, I'll post if Im successful.

Nickrides said:
I'm going to try and mount my new tires myself, i'm going to try and cut the old tires off  [ ha! that sounds like a battle ] and put the new ones on using the ziptie method, I'll post if Im successful.

I've never cut a tire off the rim, but I have cut several open. The main body cuts easily with a sawzall, but the belt in the bead takes bolt cutters. Just a heads up.

You will EFF up your rims trying to cut a tire off...just fair warning. Even with a careful hand and a Dremel cutting disc, a tiny gouge on the bead likes to cause air loss.

Just for comparison i got 7000 out of mine.  The rear was dead although the front was not.  It was not all twisties but it was not commuting either.

I love my Dunlop RS 3's. They handle great but if I got 9000 miles I would be happy.  When these are done will I get another set? Yup.

Anybody have any additional comments on how these tires perform in the wet, in the twisties, on long sweepers, or in relative comparison to other tires??

Just trying to get a feel for what the III's are all about.

thanks,
gr

ghostrider990 said:
Anybody have any additional comments on how these tires perform in the wet, in the twisties, on long sweepers, or in relative comparison to other tires??

Just trying to get a feel for what the III's are all about.

thanks,
gr

They are great tires that perform extremely well in all the above situations. I liked them at well as the 4GT's and the Pirelli Angel GT's A-Spec's.

Yep, great tires I have a new set of the 2's that are queued for a trip. I suspect they will be just as good as the 3's.

I used to be a Michelin man. Bought them because of the long mileage. started with the 2's and ended with the 4 Gt's. I needed a set of tires and decided to try the RS 3's. I like the way they feel, no problems with the wet. I've come to the conclusion that tire mileage is trumped by overall confidence the RS 3's give ME. I enjoy the C14 again. It is almost like going from the 09's OEM tire to the PR 2 11 years ago.

Last years Bun Cooler.... It was a wet one. I left the house in the rain with a brand new RS3 in the front that I did not have the time to scrub in a bit before taking off. The tires stuck in there and never felt a glitch in the roughly 350 miles I did that day in the rain. I found out my $100.00 water proof gloves are not water proof. The boots however hung in there.

Like some others I took the opportunity to buy a set of RS2's on sale.

Another thing I noticed. I had to air the PR's no matter what version every other day or so. I let the bike sit for almost a week and found the RS 3's did not need additional air. I probably lost more air just checking them. And yes I was replacing the valve stem seal that Murph has.       

I ordered a set of RSII's from Revzilla, and then got informed 3 days later they couldn't fulfill it due to rear tire being out of stock.
:mad:
They're now out of stock at Motosport as well. 

So, I did what I wanted to do to begin with, and bought the RSIII's.  SOlid $100 more, WITH a discount.  :'(
And the Dunlop $20/40/60 discount was over on April 30th.

Now I gotta buy me own tools to do the mount and dismount.  This should be interesting!

Thanks for the input on the skins fellas.

I'll report back when I get some miles on em.

gr

I wonder if those RS 2's are out of stock because there selling alot of them
Inexpensive and nice
I really like mine
Nick

Nickrides said:
I wonder if those RS 2's are out of stock because there selling alot of them
Inexpensive and nice
I really like mine
Nick
Most assuredly.
Interestingly, its the REARs that are out of stock.
You can still get the front, and I literally have one sitting in my kitchen.
Seems revzilla cancelled my rear, but still fulfilled the front.  ::)
If I knew i could get the rear in a reasonable amount of time, I probably would have just kept the front, and waited.
BUt I don't like mix-matching tires, and the front is cooked right now.
**** move revzilla, **** move.

gr

Quick Ride Report on the RSIII's.

Wow.  Very impressed.  First different tire in many years/miles on this bike. 
I'm well aware of the "new tire" phenomenon, where brand new tires ALWAYS transform the bikes ride quality and handling, simply because they are new tires......

These new skins were butter smooth on the highway and on the backroads.
Tip-in was quick, smooth, and predictable.  Held good lines when leaned over, and aimed through tight corners and sweepers predictably.
I put over 300 miles of mixed riding on these, and they handled everything well.  Oh yeah, I was TWO UP.  ;)
Even hit some moderate rains though the day, and it never slowed me.....much.

What impressed me the most, was how sticky the edges are.  After the ride, I examined the scrubbed edges, and they are FAR stickier than the Angels EVER got! That pleases me. :)

Also, it was very clear to me that the softer sidewalls of the RSIII's did not transmit road harshness through the chassis like A-Spec Angels do.  This in turn soaked up more road imperfections, and seemed a bit smoother through corners and less than perfect pavement.
I ran 41 psi front and rear.
Why 41??  Because my digital tire gauge and my TPMS units can't seem to agree.  :-[
ANd full disclosure: I'm running Traxxion front emulators with an Ohlins Rear shock.

Clearly more miles will tell the story of how these tires TRULY perform, but for a guy that hasn't bought a set of Dunlop tires.....EVER, I'm quite impressed.

gr