• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ear plug advise

strum

Guys I have some high frequency loss and I use foam plugs . But I struggle to hear my wife through my sena when I have em in. Ive been looking at Pinlock,Eargasm and such but since Ive never tried any of these type Im not sure which and the reviews are all over the place.
I know Im at the right place here because yall are all a bunch of old deaf guys like me .  Thanks for any advice

Is it only your wife you have trouble hearing? Does music or nav come thru just fine? I know sometimes my wife does not have her microphone positioned properly in front of her mouth, also make sure the microphone is not backwards.

As far as ear plugs we use the ones that they form in your ear canal, forgot the name, but they fit great.

I hear her and other riders we are linked with but at hwy speeds (70+) it gets harder.  The foam type for me blocks to much sound.

strum said:
  Guys I have some high frequency loss and I use foam plugs . But I struggle to hear my wife through my sena when I have em in. Ive been looking at Pinlock,Eargasm and such but since Ive never tried any of these type Im not sure which and the reviews are all over the place.
I know Im at the right place here because yall are all a bunch of old deaf guys like me .  Thanks for any advice

What?
I bought a set of Westone AC 20s.  Kinda spendy but I can listen to music and converse with another rider with out all the noise , and I wear hearing aids when not riding!

This might be redundant, but have you positioning your speakers in your helmet DIRECTLY over your ears??

Sometimes the pockets in different brands of helmets don't always line up with ears properly, and require some fine adjustment.  I know it took me some fiddling to get mine in a better location than just dropping them in the pockets (Arai Signet X).

Some guys upgrade their speakers to get more volume, or add an in-line booster/amp.  But that may get you in trouble quicker with too many Db's and not enough attenuation.
Also, more wattage/ohms will kill the battery on your BT device sooner.  Several guys upgrading to bigger speakers have cut their battery life in HALF, which can be annoying.

Lots to consider, and not JUST ear plugs. 

Personally, at speeds over 50-60, I can't really hear music or intercom all that well.  Between wind and earplugs, I can just hear such things - and it does become something of a compromise.

Truthfully, money BETTER spent for me, would likely be a better windshield.
Finding that pocket of dead air would make all of these issues go away -- but who wants to have ZERO wind in the face in the summer???

In a perfect world, I'd have a high end set of CUSTOM molded IEM's, like race car drivers wear.
but I live in the real world, that just hasn't been in the budget.

just some thoughts for your consideration.

gr

Yes I have played around with speaker location. And I have a v stream shield but I'm running factory right now in ths,summer to get more,air. Really the foam plugs,are ok just too much. I'm thinkng about buy ing a pair of the eargasmd I guess. I realize these won't work miracles but a little help is all I'm after.

I’m using the Pinlock ones and I’m happy with them. More comfortable for long periods than foam. They cut enough noise to be useful and still allow you to hear GPS directions, music and intercom. I’d buy them again.

I have custom molded plugs I got at an audiologist, and they do a great job of cutting the noise, but also seem to still transmit conversation and other non-harmful sounds somewhat. I think maybe it’s because they are in complete contact with the ear canal, and the material is somewhat firm, so they sort of act like a sound conductor for the ‘good’ sounds. I don’t have the silicone material, but the firmer, cheaper material. They are also quite comfortable, even for long periods, and don’t flip out out my ear when putting my helmet on.

Like ghostrider, I'd look at speaker placement.  I use a Sena BT headset and -33db earplugs.  I have no problems hearing the GPS or music.  The only time I have a problem hearing another rider, is when their microphone isn't right in front of their lips and with the foam sock on it.

Sena has a setting to boost the volume as well.  You might want to look into that.

Chris

I use Earpeace HDs... They came out with some motorcycle specific models... Good to let the music through and cut the wind noise a good bit. You have to wet them with water before putting them in but they are comfortable... And fairly inexpensive.

MotoCommuter said:
As far as ear plugs we use the ones that they form in your ear canal, forgot the name, but they fit great.

This is what we have also. I've had mine 5 years with lots of use, I don't guess you can wear them out & very easy to wash. Ours are from big ears, they can also be made with speakers in the ear plug it self. Just have to deal with a wire plugged into to your headset & also a bit pricey.

+1 on the Earpiece. Just started wearing while riding this year. They also come with different filters for those days you don't want to hear the wife. LOL. Foam either block to much volume or not enough. I got the motorcycle ones. Also comes with a nice little case for them.

I understand the dilemma... I have tinnitus and use earplugs whenever I ride above 45 MPH.

I would really try to get the speakers as close to over the ears as possible.
What you want to do is get the voice volume over the other noise (I know, thank you Cpt Obvious!). If you get lower attenuating earplugs, the voice will be louder, but the road/wind noise will go up, and you may have gained nothing, except exposing your hearing to higher noise levels all the time.

If you can get the speakers closer to your ears, then you will increase the voice level over the other noises, and that may do it.
My current helmet is quieter than my last one, but I have been lazy and have not modified it to bring the speakers right over the ears, and I can't hear the headset as well as on my older, noisier helmet.

BTW.. the earplugs I use are 3M Grippers. Most comfortable ones I found after trying many types, and also the highest attenuation. Great for long rides at high speeds.

Picked up set of do-it-yourself, silicon ear piece molding kit, at Bass Pro this week. Easy to make the set, but haven't had a chance to try them yet... $15.99 <fingers crossed>

ron203 said:
Picked up set of do-it-yourself, silicon ear piece molding kit, at Bass Pro this week. Easy to make the set, but haven't had a chance to try them yet... $15.99 <fingers crossed>

I tried that route to because I'm cheap! It just ended up costing me a extra $15.00.  :'( $45.00 for a pro to do it was money well spent.  :)

ron203 said:
Ron, that's what I was using for our trip up to the National (and the rest of the trip, too). I found that I had to really force the putty into the ear canal to get the noise reduction that I wanted. I also had to take a knife to the outside and trim it back after we had been on the road a couple of days. They were extending out a little too far from my ear and pressing against the speakers. Other than that, they worked very well and were comfortable (after modification) for many hours at a time.

Also, should you need to try again (as I did)...cheaper to buy at Amazon.

I wish I hadn't lost the custom ones I had professionally made, but these were acceptable and will make a good backup pair after I replace the ones I lost.

Thanks guys yall are all giving great advise.  I spoke with an audiologist here in town .  $200 for a custom pair which is fair i suppose . They also suggested to come in and try Ear Docs that they have for $15 . Im gonna go there today and try them and talk with them more about the custom ones. 
You guys who have the custom types . Do they go in and out well?  One other thing I dislike about the foams is all the time it takes to get them in.

strum said:
Cliff I looked at the Big Ears.  So i would have to go to them to get them fitted?

I would assume, I had mine made in Cortez at the National. Haven't looked at the site.

strum said:
You guys who have the custom types . Do they go in and out well? 

Yes they go in & out easily, they sorta of screw in to follow ear canal. I have worn mine anywhere from 10 - 15 hours day after day with no discomfort. Being silicone they can be washed all you care to which is a major plus..

strum said:
Thanks guys yall are all giving great advise.  I spoke with an audiologist here in town .  $200 for a custom pair which is fair i suppose . They also suggested to come in and try Ear Docs that they have for $15 . Im gonna go there today and try them and talk with them more about the custom ones. 
You guys who have the custom types . Do they go in and out well?  One other thing I dislike about the foams is all the time it takes to get them in.

I have custom molded earl plugs, and yes, they go in and out very easily. I have one set for sleeping, and one for riding. The ones I have for riding are the Westone 4rt, made for motorcycles. They do not cut the sound as much as foam, but they work well, and allow me to hear sirens, and the music or people talking through my Sena. They have newer models out now as well. I've had mine for about ten years now.

Swampcat said:
ron203 said:
Ron, that's what I was using for our trip up to the National (and the rest of the trip, too). I found that I had to really force the putty into the ear canal to get the noise reduction that I wanted. I also had to take a knife to the outside and trim it back after we had been on the road a couple of days. They were extending out a little too far from my ear and pressing against the speakers. Other than that, they worked very well and were comfortable (after modification) for many hours at a time.

Also, should you need to try again (as I did)...cheaper to buy at Amazon.

I wish I hadn't lost the custom ones I had professionally made, but these were acceptable and will make a good backup pair after I replace the ones I lost.

Saw you had them, that's where I got the idea. Last time I was at the Dr. he looked in my ears and asked if I was around loud noise, was a vet, did shooting, etc. I said I ride motorcycles, shoot, and use power tools and he said, "Oh, you have some scarring." (He rides, too). I'm toying with the idea of asking him to prescribe me some custom fit devices so my MedFlex will pay for it. I remembered you said you had to try twice to get them right, so I'm curious as to my results. I rode the C-14 all day last Friday and it's a problem to me. The Wing is NOT a problem-all the way to PA and back. It's really making me think. (Sorry to hijack your thread Stan-back to you...)  ;D

Just something to try, as mentioned before, speaker placement is important also, you might be surprised at the difference. One of our vendors gave me guidance on this which I never considered prior to.  Place only one speaker in your helmet, then find the 'sweet spot', match the speaker location on the other side, should be an improvement.

Victor Salisbury said:
Just something to try, as mentioned before, speaker placement is important also, you might be surprised at the difference. One of our vendors gave me guidance on this which I never considered prior to.  Place only one speaker in your helmet, then find the 'sweet spot', match the speaker location on the other side, should be an improvement.

Thats a good idea too im sure. I have messed around quite a lot with speaker placement and at this time I feel I have them as good as I can get .
Moved them a little closer also which helped a lot.
  I went to a ear doctor yesterday who sold me some Ear Doc plugs to try . I hate em. One side feels great but the otherside not. Its not the plugs its the difference in ears. my wife got some too . She had the same experience but opposite ears. Although uncomfortable they did a decent job of dampening noise and I could hear the coms better with them .  Like they funneled the sound into my out ears somehow. I went back t the Heros foam before the ride was up .

Strum,

I have a similar issue with hearing loss. Using ear plugs I am unable to hear my wife on the intercom. This doesn't sound like an issue to some, however it is these types of conveniences that make riding fun for my wife so the hunt is on for the fix. The best solution I have found is to use custom molded in ear headphones connected to the intercom system. This allows me to keep the volume to my helmet quite low, incredible clarity with music and my wife's voice, and provide hearing protection from the sounds of riding.

+1 on the molded ones. I got mine from a vendor at the Barber Vintage weekend 3 or 4 years ago. Can hear the passenger and she doesn't have a mike.

antibus said:
Strum,

I have a similar issue with hearing loss. Using ear plugs I am unable to hear my wife on the intercom. This doesn't sound like an issue to some, however it is these types of conveniences that make riding fun for my wife so the hunt is on for the fix. The best solution I have found is to use custom molded in ear headphones connected to the intercom system. This allows me to keep the volume to my helmet quite low, incredible clarity with music and my wife's voice, and provide hearing protection from the sounds of riding.

altho I don't use an intercom, as i don't want to talk to people while I ride...  I have been making my own "plugs" and also form fit "music phones" for super cheap for almost 25 years now... the materials are really cheap, and I think I made at least 20 pairs of custom headphones from cheapo earbuds, and other device Buds...

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-0-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002KHNB8Y/ref=asc_df_B002KHNB8Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813749887&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11848598114141605069&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-434804472143&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Tan/dp/B0006GWRJK/ref=pd_cp_200_3?pd_rd_w=djwaB&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=4N68B78S7TSX5CEC71YZ&pd_rd_r=497ed9a2-d7d4-4d7b-8271-50b8fba7ea73&pd_rd_wg=7WYMG&pd_rd_i=B0006GWRJK&refRID=4N68B78S7TSX5CEC71YZ&th=1

I bought a bunch of kits, for like half that price, over the years, I carry a couple "kits" in my shaving bag where ever I ride, just so i can make them when needed, or hand them out to someone, in trade for a beer or 2...
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

or any such common product, works well.. mix, make a "hole for the ear bud", shove in ear, shove in "speaker", pull out and pierce the "inner ear" section with a "swizzle straw" and smoosh some over the "bud",  then re-insert and let it cure..  The first sets I made, I got bummed, when I ripped the wires out because I forgot to be gentle.. but after making a bunch, and having so many el cheapo speakers, you only loose time and $15 a pop.. meh...  heck, you can buy 4 sets of in ear devices at Dollar General for $20... they all work fine, and even when you damage a set, they still work for "hearing protection..."..
I hate earplugs, but after years of competitive shooting, and the losses I have, I find these work great. Sure beats having raw ears from "helmet speakers" rubbing them, or displacing a "bud" while riding in the middle of a great song...  :rotflmao:

I tossed mine on the table of a vendor that was charging $300 at a bike show, for a "set", and asked him if his were better than my $20 ones.. I pzzed him off, I think..

I purchased a pair of the Eargasms and so Im very pleased.
  They feel good and I and I can hear better than any plugs I've used yet.

I'm trying the Ear Peace brand today and I'm liking those. (Missed you at the Wolf. Btw.)

ron203 said:
I'm trying the Ear Peace brand today and I'm liking those. (Missed you at the Wolf. Btw.)

Yep, been using those for four years now, and I love them! They actually get more comfortable over time!

I had the same issue, I used ear plugs to block out the wind noise, then ran the Sena at full blast to overpower both the wind noise and the ear plugs. So I decided to combine both.

I bought a set of ear phones that are built like ear plugs and fit inside the ear. Then I changed out my Sena base to one that accepts plug in head sets. The combination is perfect. I can run the audio low, still talk to my wife, and the wind noise is cut way down.

Here is what I used.

Attachments

• Sena.final..PNG
    Sena.final..PNG
    244.8 KB · Views: 126
There are a number of things involved in getting good results.

First, blocking out the outside noise.  That's wind noise from your helmet, as well as road noise from the vehicles around you.
Second, getting the audio past that outside noise.

For years, I commuted using a set of high quality noise reduction ear buds.  They were really nothing more than a earplug with a tiny speaker piped through the inside.  The tips looked something like this with multiple flanges to block outside noise.

iu

After a few years of this, I decided I wanted a BT headset and bought a Sena 10C Pro.  That forced me to consider earplugs for hearing protection, instead of the earbuds.

I learned a few things.
  • Earbuds don't give you nearly enough sound reduction as I'd hoped for.  At best, they were mediocre.
  • Earplugs come in various noise reduction ratings.  A -3db difference is noticeable.  The most effective ones that I know of are -33db.
  • Speaker placement is critical.  Slip your fingers under the side of your helmet when it is on, and feel both where the opening of your hear is and where the speaker is placed.
    Try to adjust the speaker so it is centered on that opening.
  • Microphone placement is critical also.  The noise reduction in the BT headsets will block out the communication if the mic is too far away from your lips.  Eat the mic...or feel like you're about to.
  • Don't forget to use that foam wind sock they include.  It makes a huge difference.  There's one rider on this forum that doesn't use one and I can't understand him most of the time.  It's just noise coming through from everywhere around him.
  • Look to the source of your audio to adjust the sound.  My Sena will control the overall volume, but if I'm playing music from my phone, the phone has the most control of that channel.  Likewise, my radar detector controls the volume I hear inside the helmet.
  • As llmotoll wrote, Sena has an audio boost setting in the settings.  If needed, turn it on.