• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Easy Power Mod

croach1776

Tonto
Well after watching Steve's video on the Free Power Mod about 10 times I finally felt confident enough to attempt. Me and Electrical dont get along too well. So got length of wire, heavier gauge then the wiring being modified. Tip naked leads with a little solder, had enough connectors on hand. Fixed up two wire in advance with ring connectors for lead to negative on battery and second for ground to bike frame. Used shrink wrap on all connections. Hardest part was exposing enough of the existing wire to make cut and have enough to use on terminations from igniter and second grounding wire. Crimped both applied shrink wrap and made sure wires were not slipping from crimps. Next connected one lead from igniter to negative battery terminal. Then connected ground from tag end of igniter ground that was cut and grounded to frame as shown in Steve video. Now went to the positive battery lead which had been disconnected and touched to positive terminal and looked for the magic electrical smoke to escape and render my wiring harness or electricals toast, no magic smoke and my clock was working....Voila it worked. Secured positive lead to battery and started her up. Really didnt notice any improvement in starting as she always starts easily (choke applied of course) but it did seem like the lights were brighter and I was able to take her off choke sooner. Ran her till fan came on and I do believe that fan was running stronger. So for cost of some connectors a great mod. Thanks Steve..

Next up installing the fast brake and clutch bleeders and at same time replacing deteriorated dust boots on brake and clutch lines.

I did the mod yesterday and the bike is running great. It was also running really well before I did the mod. Its really hard to be sure that the mod actually changed how the bike runs. Has anyone seen a significant improvement that they can be sure isn't some kind of placebo effect?

I measured the resistance to ground before the mod and it was already very low. I'm not saying that the mod doesn't do anything, I am just not sure.

You only get an improvement if the stock ground to the spark box is poor {resistance increased by corrosion}.
We've seen many that had a poor ground.
As your bike was gunning good, the ground was probably ok.
The benefit in your case, is (if your stock ground deteriorates) you already have an alternate ground to assure good spark.

PS: The placebo effect is possible.
Mine was running good too. {I think I'm convinced} that the fix improved my idle a bit.

Ride safe, Ted

If one has stick coils installed, does this eliminate the need for the power mod?

I have a set of T Cro's stick coils from some years back.......