• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Electric Sur Ron

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Got to test ride the Sur Ron electric trail bike today. I R impressed. Bike only weighs about 100 pounds. Very smooth and a lot of torque. Perfect for exploring the hundreds of miles of dirt roads around where I live. I'll have to do some research on this bike, but I'm already sold.
I don't know how far I can go on a single charge yet, but I like how quiet it is.
I'll know more later.

That thing looks kinda cool, but the suspension seems awfully weak.
(Just remembered your not as heavy as most of us..)
I think your limited to about 30 miles.
How will that work for exploring the "hundreds" of miles of dirt roads around where U live?

Ride safe, Ted

That's easy. You put it in your pickup and you drive to a new location (hub) to explore.
You can buy extra batteries and swap them out when you return from your first out and back.
Swap the battery, then head out in a new direction.

Betcha didn't think of that, huh? WINK.gif

Yupp, I though to of that.
$1600 for another battery ended that thought.

Can you charge it from your truck while traveling to a different location or while setting around the campfire?

Ride safe, Ted

If you buy an inverter, you can charge it from the vehicle while driving.
If you have a large enough portable solar array, you can bring that with you and charge one battery while using the other.

Look at it this way. When you are far enough away from the grid, solar and gas generators are not a bad option.
When camping, my solar batteries keep my batteries topped off for as long as needed.
When the trail is too narrow for the truck, the dirt bike is a good option whether it needs gas or electricity.

There are trade-offs no matter what you drive.
You can bring extra fossil fuel or you can bring extra batteries.
The electric bike is very quiet, that I know for sure.

$4100 for 30 miles. :rolleyes:

Seems way out of line to me unless you are not able to use a dirtbike where you want to ride. Even then I'd stick to pedal power before dropping that much cash for a battery bike.

As is the case with my better half.
When you can't peddle and you can't handle gas powered bikes (clutch and shifting), this is a great option.

I will admit, I got one of these over a month ago.
I had my doubts, but I have to say I like it.

I bought this for the Mrs. as a test and she has taken to it like a duck takes to water.
It took her a while and I'm quite sure for the first week or so, her max speed was 1 MPH.

I believe she is now up to 7, maybe pushing 10 MPH.

The bike will do over 30, but it will be a long time before she maxes out speed. She takes it down the dirt road to retrieve mail and visit her friends.
She keeps threatening to get one of her own and I keep telling her to do it. She is left handed and wants me to put the throttle on the left. I'm not sure I want to do that. She doesn't know any better, but I suspect this will be the only powered dirt bike she will ever ride, so why not?

When she actually orders one of her own, we can go on the dirt trails together. I can't wait as it will be a dream come true. She won't ride 2 up anymore, but she likes riding by herself now.

Taking it one day at a time.

So, now I'm thinking, this scooter may be the ticket for milk runs.
It has enough juice to get me to Wally Wurld and back and beats peddling a unicycle 14 miles.
As gas creeps to $10/gal (my prediction), it's looking better and better compared to gas.
I have an array of solar panels to recharge the battery, so this could get quite interesting.

Stay tuned.

Well, electric mountain bikes are an option as well, and are street legal in most places to ride right from the house to get groceries or head for local dirt. Some have room for two batteries. But yeah, probably not as dirt and hill capable as a Surron.

I kinda like this one, but I can already tell I'd need a bar riser, a wider seat, fenders, rear rack, heavy duty locks 'n' cable, and probably mud flaps, maybe even a bluetooth bicycle helmet...I tell ya, the farkling never stops.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, electric mountain bikes are an option as well, and are street legal in most places to ride right from the house to get groceries or head for local dirt. Some have room for two batteries. But yeah, probably not as dirt and hill capable as a Surron.

I kinda like this one, but I can already tell I'd need a bar riser, a wider seat, fenders, rear rack, heavy duty locks 'n' cable, and probably mud flaps, maybe even a bluetooth bicycle helmet...I tell ya, the farkling never stops.:rolleyes:

Don’t forget the LED lamp upgrades and running lights, switchbacks of course, and an extended warranty! 😂 LOL

This is the Electric bike we own.
Had it for a year now and really like it. Kinda heavy. But nice to ride.
The whole thing is well engineered and quality components.
Amazing range!
This seems to be the Electric bike of choice here in Telluride Co.
Nick 2014 C-14

Another side note on electric bikes
For anyone who hasn't ridden one, they are a trip to ride!
On the Rad rovers they have two ways to apply power.
One is a motorcycle twist grip, simple.
Another is " Pedal Assist"
You select the power you want from 1-5, when you start to pedal the motor senses this and adds power.
Its cool as hell and works great.!
You feel like your 16 years old again.
If you interested in this; Demo one somewhere, its really something to experience.
And the range is something to see, its huge on the Rad Rovers.
I did 30 miles on the bike path in SD CA last summer and there was still a bar of power left.
I pedaled some but mostly was on full electric.
Huge range IMHO
Nick
2014 C-14

Doing maintenance on the e-bike. Getting ready for $10/gallon gas...

Here is an interesting forum for ebikes and story on the SUR-RON

The bike is very good at finding thorns from cactus and grease-wood. I end up patching a lot of holes.

:rolleyes: Well it's all Harry's fault*...I purchased an eBike (not a Sur-Ron) and now I'm eBike farkling.
Just like on the C14, I had to raise the bars and get a different seat.

* Dang internet influencers always costing me money...grrrrr.

T

This is the Electric bike we own.
Had it for a year now and really like it. Kinda heavy. But nice to ride.
The whole thing is well engineered and quality components.
Amazing range!
This seems to be the Electric bike of choice here in Telluride Co.
Nick 2014 C-14
That is not a bad price compared to other E-bikes i have looked at.

Just checked the owners manual again. If there is no typo, the Sur Ron has a range of up to 65 miles.
When coasting, kinetic energy is used to recharge the battery. Nice.
I'm waiting for it to warm up a tad before I try riding it into town. Time to farkle it up by adding a mirror.

We saw a bunch of electric bikes in use by residents on Mackinac Island last spring - cars and motorized vehicles are not allowed on the island.

The island has a lot of pretty steep hills.

These things zipped right up them no problemo, even accelerating.

No idea on range. It appears you can also recharge by rotating the pedals while riding - even if coasting - but I don't know for sure. They sure looked fun.

I started looking at bikes like yours and ended up with a Zero S with the 14.4 double size battery 6 months ago...

I sold it last week, It was a real blast around town but I drive wide open and It eats the battery fast, and It was double the stock 7.2 battery, 75 mph on

On the interstate,
it drops real fast...

In my opinion they should be 1/2 the price they are because of real-world driving range is pitiful ... I'll get another one when better batteries come out.

Last edited:
I could totally see owning a Surron if I had some land with a trail network and just wanted to tool around silently, especially in the mountains.