• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Electrical gremlin

swampcat

Street Cruiser
I've run into an interesting little gremlin that I thought I had fixed but it's popped up again. Before I start diving into things I thought I'd ask the hive mind for advice.

A little history...

When I went to put the bike on the trailer to head to the National last month, it wouldn't start. I turned the switch on I got all the usual lights, but pressing the starter resulted in everything — including the clock — going dead. After sitting for a few minutes with the switch off, I could repeat the cycle. I was about to leave the bike but my wife pointed out that a number of C10 experts would be gathered where I was going, so I listen to her, push the bike on the trailer and head east.

First night out, halfway to Lake Guntersville, I tried starting the bike while it was sitting on the trailer and it fired right up. Smile on my face, I continued on toward the rally. When I arrived at the lodge I rolled the bike off the trailer and went to start it to move it to a spot closer to my room. Well, it wouldn't start again. Same symptoms.

I could hear what sounded like a little pop coming out of the bike, so I started tearing it down to trace the wiring. Mike Laven (Bugnut) comes by and helps me look. We think we find an accessory wire connected to the battery that is slightly frayed. I tape the frayed insulation, relocate the wire, and I have ignition. I put it all together and I'm a happy camper all week at the rally. Starts right up as usual.

Today, I head out into the garage to get it ready to ride this weekend. Same thing as before the rally: hit the starter and the lights go out. I take the gas tank and the tool tray off to start looking around. The wire I relocated is fine. Key on and the panel lights come on so I hit the starter. Big spark on the negative terminal of the battery and then dead. I let it sit for a few minutes and try again. Big spark from the negative terminal but the starter works. I try again, spark and dead. I pull all of the "excess" wires off the battery leads (my accessories fuse box, the "frayed" wire (which goes, I believe, to the hardwired fan switch Steve installed when he owned the bike), and the camera power, plus all corresponding negative connections).

I try a couple more times and once I get the starter (with spark on the negative terminal) and the second time just spark and then dead again.

Yes, I've checked the terminal connections and they are tight. Obviously there's a short in the system somewhere, but where? If a fuse was blowing I might have an indication where to start. None have blown during any of this. At the moment I feel like I'm going to have to go through the whole system.

So, while I do that I thought I'd also see if the combined experience of the group might have seen something like this before and can suggest the best place to start.

Thanks!

One more note on this J-Box (and there’s tons of information on the site related) mine starting going bad intermittently. Cold day no prob, hot day get back from riding didn’t know if it would start without fiddling with on /off of thumping the box….

Finally I decided to try just flowing all the connections and I was surprised that it worked, permanently for years - until I sold - new owner probably no issue either I bet….

There were a number of micro cracks in the joints you could just barely make out with some sideways, squinting and imagination but that’s all it takes for a gremlin to get in.

If you got a spark then that is where your problem is. I would start by
looking for a loose or broken connection. You say terminal is tight.
That includes the bolt, the crimp to the wire & look for a brake in
the wire inside the insulation. Should not have to look any further. Only
parts involved are the battery connection, the wire itself and maybe
where it attaches to the engine block.
Good trouble shooting and have good 4th.

Thanks, y'all. Good starting points. Fortunately I have a spare J-box if needed as well as being able to reflow the solder on the current one (pun intended). I'm going to start with the battery first and work outward from there.

Happy Fourth! It will be for me; I get to meet my youngest granddaughter for the first time...she was born just before the pandemic started.

Finally found the time to do the work. Bud, you called it. My year-old battery had developed a cell that was marginal. New battery and cleaning up the contacts and it starts right up without the fireworks.