• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Elgin Iowa RTE questions

JerBear

I've never been to Elgin.  I've driven in the area many time but never there.  Google maps tells me to take some roads from PDC Wi.  I really don't want to drive Gravel if possible,  I know some of the secondary roads in Iowa can be gravel.  Are 205, Gunder, and Agate roads gravel?  If they are I'll find an alternative route.... Thanks for any info, I'm looking forward to meeting some Iowa Coggers.  :)

Prolly not anything more interesting than the few coggers that show up. Basically just a location in NE Iowa to ride some local roads before or after. Rolling hills country, some bluffs more toward Mississippi, Amish country scattered about😋

I've got a buddy at work who was from Iowa. I'll have to look it up sometime. You just  never know what / who you'll see. New tag line: "You meet the most interesting people  on a Connie." Thanks.

Mt Hosmer  Park in Lansing is one of my favorite stops especially on a hot day.  Nice shade and cool water/restrooms at the top of a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.  Be very careful entering the park steep hill and sharp right turn as you enter the drive up.  Keep your bike in first gear at least until you straighten out.

Also Pikes Peak state park near McGregor is got a great view of the Miss River.

Must be the Pikes Peak that Peter Egan wrote an article about. He and a buddy rode from his place to Pikes Peak (not the one in Colorado). Buddy was on a 10 speed bicycle and Egan was on an old Honda (maybe a Dream?). Hilariously good reading. I think it's in his book "Leanings."

One more thing to add, Dotzys has great reviews online for their food/service ect but it was noted on one review to bring cash..  there is an upcharge for CC usage...

Just a FYI

Weather forecast for this RTE is SUPERB!  And those of us coming from the south can stop along the way in Walker IA for their Picklefest.  Yes that's right, Picklefest!