• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Elkhart Lake,WI Moto America Bike Races

ZG/ZN Kim

The Elkhart cycle races are June 2,3, and 4 this year.  I have wondered why there has been little interest/talk about them. Looking at the website, I think it would cost $170 for each individual for Fri-Sun night camping and the 3 day race ticket. Maybe a bit too pricey for the COG general population, but not bad for 3 days of professional cycle racing. 
Anyway I am planning to ride up on June 2(Friday) to watch tuning/time trials. It only cost $20 that day. I plan on scouting out the camping area, and hopefully have something to report at the January 2018 banquet. The camping area is track-side, and a small block could be purchased to make it a group event.
I would be leave PdC at 7:00 AM, taking hwy 60 to hwy 23 most of the way to Elkhart Lake. About 3.5 hours from my house. Returning that evening.

I do not think it will work out this year, but I am very interested in next year.  ~6 hours for my drive.  Let me know what you find out about the group camping site.  That could make it even better.

I will be there again this year. I'm going with a group of former racers that make this an annual event. Loads of fun. Road America is a great track for racers and fans. We even watch the MotoGP race on TV Sunday morning before going to the track.

The go karts are a blast, especially against guys that never got racing out of their system. We even got filmed last year. The guy that runs the go kart track said if we did that stuff off camera, we're thrown out.

Oh, there's all that great Wisconsin food and beer, too.

The food at the track is great - real Wisconsin food. Brats, burgers, brat burgers, cheese curds, of course, and fresh corn on the cob dipped in a big bat of butter. Top it off with salt and pepper and it's almost heaven. No wimpy low fat junk that kills you with processed chemicals. This is real food. Good beer selection, too. I think it neutralizes any of the fat consumed, so it's an almost zero net gain. Remember, weight scales lie. Don't set on any for at least a week after the races.

Excellent supper clubs close by if you're staying the night.

The racing is excellent. It's a double header, so there's top level racing both Saturday and Sunday. Getting around the four mile track is a breeze with a motorcycle. No golf carts for real men.

Hope to see you there.

I am doing all I can to make it over. Plan is to arive Thursday
night and leave Monday after races. Will any of you be at a
spicficy place? And time?

Cookie, Rich,

I am  there Friday only, I would be up for lunch(greasy Wisconsin food) at track side. But I have not been there since the early 80's, you guys need to come up with a place. You both would be  huge help in my "COG scouting mission".

Kim,
Sounds like we will miss each other. I'm leaving Mpls Friday morning. Don't know if we'll make it to the track on Friday.

Rich, hard to say where my group will be. We move around the track throughout both days. No set plan. We will be in St. Anna at night. We stay next to Schwartz's Supper Club. It's a great place to eat, but get really busy, especially race weekends.

I made the trek up to Elkhart Lake Moto America track last Friday. The last time I had been there was 1981 when Eddie Lawson was riding his KZ 1000. The track was big like I remembered, but this mission was to look at possibly making it a camping rally point. There are numerous campsites track side, but bathrooms and shower facilities are spotty. No fire pits or picnic tables at the sites. The only camping area with nearby facilities was a wide open, tightly packed area, would be like camping on a grass parking lot.  A 3 day  camping/race cost would be at least $150, beer and brats @$5 each. I think a bit too pricey. Not a place to rally at, but a place everyone should experience.
On a side note, there were a lot of Concours riders there, talked to a couple of them. They were not COG members, but  could be . The race weekend could be a very rich recruiting ground.

Just got back. Great weekend. Was down at the end of front straight and
saw the flaming boot go into the gravel pit.
I camped at Plymouth Rock camp ground right across the road. For 3
nights for my RV with electric was $136.10. They have tent camping also.
I lost the pricing, there site plymouthrock_mgr@equitylifestyle.com
Phone #920 892 4252 or 888 892 4252.
The track length is 4+ miles so take something to ride around on.
Had good time.

I was there on Sunday also, we were at turn 6 so the only time I saw the flying boot was on TV Sunday night, he did a heck of a job keeping that bike up. What a beautiful day, too bad the race was shortened. Already have plans for next year, had a great time!

ZG/ZN Kim wants to make this a COG event next year. It's not a bad idea.
There is motorcycle camping across the road and motels up and down the
road from the track. Next year lets all do it.

RWulf said:
ZG/ZN Kim wants to make this a COG event next year. It's not a bad idea.
There is motorcycle camping across the road and motels up and down the
road from the track. Next year lets all do it.
That's on my radar.

On TDY near Isabella MN