• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

End of the Line for the Concours 14

Jeff.C

2018 the Concours was discontinued in major markets! But continued to be sold in Latin America, Canada, USA.
I just checked and it's not in The Kawasaki Dealer order sheet for 2023

Agreed in no way should we feel Sad, typical Japanese long long long platform life with a few updates along the way. They have had there new flagships sport touring bikes out for a few years now.

Agreed in no way should we feel Sad, typical Japanese long long long platform life with a few updates along the way. They have had there new flagships sport touring bikes out for a few years now.
The problem is these new Japanese "sport tourers" aren't flagships, but rather sport tourer-lite bikes. The industry bequeathed the "sport tourer" moniker on these 900-1100cc poseurs with chain drive, flashy displays, and saddlebags as optional equipment and the moto press drank the Kool Aid. But while these bikes rival and in some cases exceed the price of a Connie they don't offer near the sport touring value.

Last edited:
I wonder whether the FJR will survive? Over the last 5-6 years it's added some tech the Connie didn't while not going crazy with the latest gizmos, which kept it still somewhat close in cost to the Connie. Maybe it found a tech/value sweet spot that will keep it relevant for at least a few more years.

Last edited:
The problem is these new Japanese "sport tourers" aren't flagships, but rather sport tourer-lite bikes. The industry bequeathed the "sport tourer" moniker on these 900-1100cc poseurs with chain drive, flashy displays, and saddlebags as optional equipment and the moto press drank the Kool Aid. But while these bikes rival and in some cases exceed the price of a Connie they don't offer near the sport touring value.
Agreed it's all marketing monikers and the press and the OEM marketing work together. I used the wrong Moniker when referring to the new crop of Flagship Bikes. there is a difference between "Sport Touring" and "Sport Tourer" and your comment made me realize my writing error.

List of a few Sport Touring Motorcycles
Suzuki Hyabusa- listed this cause the media claims The new Hayabusa offers traditional sport-touring ergonomics and for a few years Magazins went back and forth calling it a Hyper bike or Sport Touring
BMW K1600 GT - listing this one but BMW builds the R1200RT and RP Sport Touring bike as well
Moto Guzzi Norge is- Great machine and had the opportunity to own and ride one every day while living in Europe for a few years
Concours 1400
Triumph Trophy- Discontinued the best handling 700-pound motorcycle
Yamaha FJR- Soon to be Discontinued after years of Magazine writers complaining of no 6 gear and how can you go through life with no 6 gear, Yamaha does a terrible job shrinking the gear size of the five-speed so that they could fit a 6 gear in the original 5-speed case, And have to issue the biggest recall in the FJR history in two parts, blown up bikes get rebuilt along with an ECU flash that limits power output, If it's not blown up it only gets and inspection and the ECU flash to limit HP

It seems like the big Sport Touring bikes are aging out and the industry was leaning toward adventure bikes so glad that died out in a short record time, And are heading back towards sport tourer, Poseurs have to disagree but that's my opinion since I haven't had my Concours long enough to really make comparisons as to do I want to keep a 700-pound motorcycle with just ok handling or move over to Supercharged 200 horsepower 590 pounds H2 1000SX. for me and my thoughts what makes a flagship bike for a brand is the technology put into that model.
Not only will this bike land you in jail much quicker than the Concours it's got some nice features. But I realize not everyone's physical body can ride this comfortably
  • NEW Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
  • NEW Vehicle Hold Assist (VHA)
  • NEW Kawasaki’s Intelligent Proximity Activation Start System (KIPASS) remote key fob
  • NEW USB-style power outlet
  • NEW Grip heaters
  • Kawasaki Corner Management Function (KCMF)
  • Kawasaki TRaction Control (KTRC)
  • Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM)
  • Kawasaki Intelligent Anti-Lock Brake System (KIBS)
  • Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS)
  • Kawasaki Engine Brake Control (KEBC)
  • Integrated Riding Modes

I wonder whether the FJR will survive? Over the last 5-6 years it's added some tech the Connie didn't while not going crazy with the latest gizmos, which kept it still somewhat close in cost to the Connie. Maybe it found a tech/value sweet spot that will keep it relevant for at least a few more years.
The FJR has also been discontinued in Europe.

My buddy met me at the national with his new 2022 bmw k1600gt... every bell and whistle. But at 30 large!!!! I told him he's crazy. Im waiting for his first repair/service bill....lol

If you intend to keep yours long-term, I'd look into buying all the model-specific service consumables (e.g., valve inspection gasket/seal kits, final drive seals, O rings, fuel pump service items, etc) you anticipate needing for the period of time you wish to keep the bike. If it's a very commonly used part across many late model lines, I wouldn't be as concerned about squirreling stuff away.

I've been doing this with my Valkyries for a number of years now. There are two of three different models (Tourer and Interstate) in my garage and one day I'd like to find one of the last year Standards to reprise a custom I built for an old, dear acquaintance a while back. Similarly, I have 1ea Gen1 and Gen2 C14 in the collection, and want a black Gen3 to build into another summer touring mount. Thus, it won't terribly break the bank to have a common spare water pump or whatnot in the stash "just in case".

My buddy met me at the national with his new 2022 bmw k1600gt... every bell and whistle. But at 30 large!!!! I told him he's crazy. Im waiting for his first repair/service bill....lol
There nice bikes but prices are up there extremely high tech with adaptive cruise control and adaptive headlamps, some people want that and make the payment

If you intend to keep yours long-term, I'd look into buying all the model-specific service consumables (e.g., valve inspection gasket/seal kits, final drive seals, O rings, fuel pump service items, etc) you anticipate needing for the period of time you wish to keep the bike. If it's a very commonly used part across many late model lines, I wouldn't be as concerned about squirreling stuff away.

I've been doing this with my Valkyries for a number of years now. There are two of three different models (Tourer and Interstate) in my garage and one day I'd like to find one of the last year Standards to reprise a custom I built for an old, dear acquaintance a while back. Similarly, I have 1ea Gen1 and Gen2 C14 in the collection, and want a black Gen3 to build into another summer touring mount. Thus, it won't terribly break the bank to have a common spare water pump or whatnot in the stash "just in case".
Doing that with my VRod, purchased a bunch of spare parts including an complete engine rebuild kit.

I saw that GT 1600 sitting in the parking lot. Man, that was really nice. I was wondering what he paid for it. I imagine you need to set aside a couple grand a year (if not more) for maintenance at over $200 an hour labor. But boy, it sure looked sharp.

Doing that with my VRod, purchased a bunch of spare parts including an complete engine rebuild kit.
IMNSHO, the two biggest faux pas committed by The Motor Company were the mis-marketing and subsequent cessation of the Revolution engined product line, and the introduction of the Livewire concept.

Runners-up were killing off Buell (especially the 1125) and the removal of the FXRS model line. The latter was replaced by the Dyna, and that thing handles like an absolute pig.

The younger crowd wants something that ain't our grandfather's Harley - and they could have had a couple great sport-touring platforms from the Buell and Revolution sides of the house. Alas, not to be - but I can always find a trendy T-shirt or halter top for the ol' lady at their dealershipsboutiques.

Just wondering out loud - as I just bought my 2022, and my warranty is good until 2025 - 2 years after the bike stops being manufactured.......would it still be worth it to extend the warranty for another 3 years? Not sure how long Kawasaki will continue support (parts) for the bike as I'm new to the brand. Cheap enough to do I guess.

Some BMW negativity here regarding cost. I'll never change anyone's mind, but I'll convey my experiences with my 7 year old S1000R which I've owned since new. Labor rates are the same as the other brands the dealer carries. I do my own wrenching and there are plenty of sources for discounted parts, OEM or otherwise, and I don't see them as more expensive than for my C14. And my S1KR has been trouble-free in any case (knock on wood now...Ive been jinxed!). And the "complexity" is no worse than any hypernaked and is definitely simpler than an H2. There are also available aftermarket interfaces with the bikes controllers (GS-911 or MotoScan) that make diagnostics and service easier than the C14. Anyway...that's my 0.02...thought the BMW negativity was a little unfair....Carry on.

IMNSHO, the two biggest faux pas committed by The Motor Company were the mis-marketing and subsequent cessation of the Revolution engined product line, and the introduction of the Livewire concept.

Runners-up were killing off Buell (especially the 1125) and the removal of the FXRS model line. The latter was replaced by the Dyna, and that thing handles like an absolute pig.

The younger crowd wants something that ain't our grandfather's Harley - and they could have had a couple great sport-touring platforms from the Buell and Revolution sides of the house. Alas, not to be - but I can always find a trendy T-shirt or halter top for the ol' lady at their dealershipsboutiques.
First, the Nova Project of the late 70s then which grew into the VR1000 superbike project and the engine was slotted for a Buell then they pulled it from Buell. When the VRSCA was introduced in 2002 it was all the rage with magazines both for the Porsche technology, engine running for 500 hours on the Düsseldorf Test, Frame tubing bent by water flow, Paint, Fit, and finish above anything they built before.

11 seconds in the1/4 mile with a price tag of 17 Grand but unfortunately after the fanfare was over the Harley Faithful did not buy into it. They wanted an air-cooled single crankpin and the exhaust note. Harley's dreams of finally putting the Revo motor into a Tour Glide were killed off by the Number one sold Tattoo in the world faithful, and they thought we ain't screwing with this.

FXRS Frame and suspension was Eric Buell he was the Engineer, but the faithful core group really never bought into a Harley that can go around turns!

Buells I owned two last of the 2009 Firebolt 1250 they were great bikes, Quick and once set up handled really good with beautiful frames and swing arms made by Brembo of Italy along with Hubless super light rims. The Rotax Power 1125 R at the time I owned it thought it can't get any better.
Eric is a brilliant engineer and I was blessed to enjoy his products.

Now with the Emissions, there is no choice but to use the Revo Max motor in future products are they going to build a sports bike I think in Harley's mind they already did with the 2022 Sportster S

2018 the Concours was discontinued in major markets! But continued to be sold in Latin America, Canada, USA.
I just checked and it's not in The Kawasaki Dealer order sheet for 2023
Asking because I just do not know the answer: How reliable of an indicator is this? Does Kawasaki ever formally announce they are discontinuing a model, or does it just not show up on a dealer order sheet? I assume you work in a dealership to have been able to see this.

Asking because I just do not know the answer: How reliable of an indicator is this? Does Kawasaki ever formally announce they are discontinuing a model, or does it just not show up on a dealer order sheet? I assume you work in a dealership to have been able to see this.
The Concours has been in my Opinion on life Support in the North American market, very rare that OEMs make announcements on discontinued products in my experience they leave it off the order sheet and information that’s sent out to journalists and Industry players. If your worried about parts don’t be the Japanese do very well supporting machines with long life cycles

Not worried about parts at this point, more concerned with accuracy of the report. Is it set in concrete based on factual data, or is there still a chance we may see a 2023 model?

If you look at the Kawasaki website, they have some 2023 models listed. The Concours isn't one of them. They list a 2022 and even a 2021. I don't bet much, but I would bet 2022 is the end of the road for the C14.

BMW makes one bike I was interested in, the RT. Starting price when I walked in to the dealer, $30,000. Just about every single thing on it, I didn't need/want. I don't do cell phone apps or hookups to the bike to work on it, I don't do computers to bleed the brakes, I wouldn't be working on it really, so make an appointment, they have the bike for 3 weeks and the parts are from Germany. I looked at the options offered,$$$$ I looked at some BMW aftermarket items$$$$. So, you can call it anything you want, but I call that the truth. I really did seriously consider this bike, as it was to be my retirement bike that I had planned for many years. I bought the C-14 for the EXACT same reason I bought my 2001 C-10, PRICE.

One of my customers had a GT1600 and had a few problems, one of them was 6 the gear was known for exploding so they told him not to use it and replacement parts were not available?

2020 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts. Recall Details

2020 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - SUSPENSION:REAR

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2020 K1600 GT, K1600 GTL, and K1600 B motorcycles. The link strut connecting the rear suspension to the frame may have insufficient strength, which can cause the link strut to become damaged. Recall Details

2019 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - SUSPENSION:REAR

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2020 K1600 GT, K1600 GTL, and K1600 B motorcycles. The link strut connecting the rear suspension to the frame may have insufficient strength, which can cause the link strut to become damaged. Recall Details

2019 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts. Recall Details

2018 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

2014 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2011-2014 S 1000 RR/R/ HP4, R 1200 GS/GS Adventure/R/RT, K 1300 S, K 1600 GT/GTL/GTL Exclusive and 2014 R nine T motorcycles. The fuel pump, and auxiliary fuel pump in certain models, may crack and leak fuel during vehicle operation. Recall Details

2013 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2011-2014 S 1000 RR/R/ HP4, R 1200 GS/GS Adventure/R/RT, K 1300 S, K 1600 GT/GTL/GTL Exclusive and 2014 R nine T motorcycles. The fuel pump, and auxiliary fuel pump in certain models, may crack and leak fuel during vehicle operation. Recall Details

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2009-2011 K1300 (S, GT), 2010-2011 S1000 RR, 2005-2011 R1200 (GS, GS Adventure, R, RT, S, ST), 2006-2010 HP2 (Enduro, Megamoto, Sport), 2005-2008 K1200 (R, R Sport, S, GT), and 2012 K1600 (GT, GTL) motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump as applicable. The affected motorcycles have a fuel pump flange that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running. Recall Details

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2012 K1600 GT and K1600 GTL motorcycles. In certain riding conditions, an incorrect throttle valve control signal may be received by the engine control unit, limiting the engine speed.  Recall Details

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:SOFTWARE

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2012 K1600 GT and K1600 GTL motorcycles. In certain riding conditions, an incorrect throttle valve control signal may be received by the engine control unit, limiting the engine speed.  Recall Details

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - ENGINE

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 model year R-model motorcycles, model year 2005-2012 K-model motorcycles, model year 2010-2011 S 1000 model motorcycles, and model year 2006-2010 HP2 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel. Recall Details

2011 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Last edited:
Anything can happen from now until the November EICMA show that is where OEMs show there new replacement models and standing line up to the industry. No I do not work for a dealer, my company creates, develops the diagnostic and repair software along with electronic parts catalog for the OEMs and the Concours is missing for model year 23

I would love to see a larger supercharged Super/ Hyper-Sport Tourer. Probably will be on par for price as the above mentioned BMW.

Breathe some fresh life into this space, that would be awesome! Just because the machine can make 230 HP and 125 TQ doesn’t mean you need to use it and as Supercharged it’d be sweeet.

Dreams.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Not worried about parts at this point, more concerned with accuracy of the report. Is it set in concrete based on factual data, or is there still a chance we may see a 2023 model?

We will see.
2006 was the last model year of the ZG1000. The ZG1400 was introduced summer 2007 as an early 2008 model year.
Maybe they will surprise us and bring a fleet of bikes to a future national rally like they did in 2007. Hmmm... 2024 is the 35th anniversary of COG.

IMG_6345.jpg

Well, I just completed a survey from Kawasaki about my new C-14, and they wanted to know all about how I felt concerning every detail on the bike, what I thought before I bought it, after I bought it, what else I looked at, what I liked about the other bikes, what I disliked about the C-14, the price, motor, trans, frame, ride, passenger, brakes, etc.... Oh, and they kinda asked me about the KIPASS, like, you know, what I thought about it. I gave a very fair and balanced answer about that piece of S**T, I swear, I used no cuss words. The C-14 may not be in the 2023 catalogue and they may not make it next year, but I would think they are looking to fill this niche with something, just not our C-14 as we know it, because if they were not going to replace it, why worry about what people who bought one think about it?

Well, I just completed a survey from Kawasaki about my new C-14, and they wanted to know all about how I felt concerning every detail on the bike, what I thought before I bought it, after I bought it, what else I looked at, what I liked about the other bikes, what I disliked about the C-14, the price, motor, trans, frame, ride, passenger, brakes, etc.... Oh, and they kinda asked me about the KIPASS, like, you know, what I thought about it. I gave a very fair and balanced answer about that piece of S**T, I swear, I used no cuss words. The C-14 may not be in the 2023 catalogue and they may not make it next year, but I would think they are looking to fill this niche with something, just not our C-14 as we know it, because if they were not going to replace it, why worry about what people who bought one think about it?
Like the way you think!

We will see.
2006 was the last model year of the ZG1000. The ZG1400 was introduced summer 2007 as an early 2008 model year.
Maybe they will surprise us and bring a fleet of bikes to a future national rally like they did in 2007. Hmmm... 2024 is the 35th anniversary of COG.

View attachment 32945
That fleet showed up at Mid-Ohio Vintage Days in 2008. I rode. I was hooked. As was my wife at the time (now ex); she alternated between my '08 and '12 when we went on rides together.

<snip> The C-14 may not be in the 2023 catalogue and they may not make it next year, but I would think they are looking to fill this niche with something, just not our C-14 as we know it, because if they were not going to replace it, why worry about what people who bought one think about it?

IIRC, they sent out a survey near the EOL of the C10.

Did you mention the seat?

One of my customers had a GT1600 and had a few problems, one of them was 6 the gear was known for exploding so they told him not to use it and replacement parts were not available?

2020 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

2020 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - SUSPENSION:REAR

2019 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - SUSPENSION:REAR

2019 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

2018 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

2014 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

2013 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2009-2011 K1300 (S, GT), 2010-2011 S1000 RR, 2005-2011 R1200 (GS, GS Adventure, R, RT, S, ST), 2006-2010 HP2 (Enduro, Megamoto, Sport), 2005-2008 K1200 (R, R Sport, S, GT), and 2012 K1600 (GT, GTL) motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump as applicable. The affected motorcycles have a fuel pump flange that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running. Recall Details

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:SOFTWARE

2012 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - ENGINE

Problem: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 model year R-model motorcycles, model year 2005-2012 K-model motorcycles, model year 2010-2011 S 1000 model motorcycles, and model year 2006-2010 HP2 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel. Recall Details

2011 BMW K 1600 GTL Recall - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Thanks for posting. I had the K 1600 on my shortlist of next possible bikes, but not anymore!

They asked me everything, even my weight,age,size,and about my passengers. Yes, I told them that virtually every single person that bought a C-14, replaces the seat and windshield, lowers the pegs, raises the bars,adds cruise control, and detests the KIPASS with every fiber of their being. I said I would pay $500 more for the bike if a model was offered without KIPASS and if I could safely remove it, I would rip it off the bike and throw it off the tallest building in Ohio into the deepest lake with a 20lb cement weight on it after I crushed it with a steam roller and burned it with an acetelyne torch until it was unrecognizable by any human so it could not be replicated. Of course there are exceptions to those who may enjoy the KIPASS, a minority at best if it was possible to find this out. I did my best to eradicate this evil thing thrust upon us, mild mannered bike riders who crave simplicity and logical innovation.

They asked me everything, even my weight,age,size,and about my passengers. Yes, I told them that virtually every single person that bought a C-14, replaces the seat and windshield, lowers the pegs, raises the bars,adds cruise control, and detests the KIPASS with every fiber of their being. I said I would pay $500 more for the bike if a model was offered without KIPASS and if I could safely remove it, I would rip it off the bike and throw it off the tallest building in Ohio into the deepest lake with a 20lb cement weight on it after I crushed it with a steam roller and burned it with an acetelyne torch until it was unrecognizable by any human so it could not be replicated. Of course there are exceptions to those who may enjoy the KIPASS, a minority at best if it was possible to find this out. I did my best to eradicate this evil thing thrust upon us, mild mannered bike riders who crave simplicity and logical innovation.
Tell us how you really feel about KIPASS.......lol. I havent had mine long enough to not like it, but time will tell. Everything else you stated I have altready done minus cruise.

Some may not be able to detect the slight amount of sarcasm, I obviously did not send that but I was strong in my opinions about it. The day I rode it home I detested it. I get that makers need to attract younger rider/buyers. We, as a group, are getting older and are turning to different types of bikes as our bodies age and we can't do the things we did before and we don't want to do the things we did before. So, as a maker, does Kawasaki and others try to cater to an aging buyer by making a bike that not many will buy as it's aimed at those aging buyers. So put some geegaws and electronics on it and base it on a supersports bike and hope that the younglings that like to yak on the phone while they ride and listen to music while looking at a GPS that shows them to within 10 feet how to ride across the country to a particular address will be attracted to it for $17,000 instead of $30,000 which will attract the older buyers. Right now today, there are meetings and committees being formed and consulting agencies being hired and questionaires being sent to hopefully answer these questions. I have a feeling though that many here may not like what is rolled out, because if we did, we wouldn't be here, we'd be riding something else.

Last edited:
Probably going to keep the 14 for a while but leaning towards a Yamaha Tracer :love:

115Hp 460 lbs. Vs 700lbs to go on the back of RV or trailer I'll deal with the 460 any day VS 700, and Mom can drive it(y)

she has long legs 29.5 but the 14 is way too heavy even though she rides a Fat Boy but a much lower bike.

Nice bike! I assume its a crossplane? I scanned the brochure and didn't see a mention. I had a 12 R1 with the crossplane engine. I miss it :-(

I've had zero issues with either of mine.

FWIW, the stove knob never comes out of the ignition switch.

Had a 19 tracer for a hot minute. Hated it. Pushed my junk right into the seat and nothing could stop it. Wind control didn't exist. Overall pretty happy I sold that bike without a huge loss and sort of regret trading in my 14 fjr for it. I had an 09 concours I sold out to a guy from SC who came to PA and remembered missing the bike. It was the most fun sport tourer there is. Just picked up another 21 this year and am pretty happy with it.

First of all, Mr been there done that I said I'm keeping the 2011 C14 that I've had for 11 years... I've got a good $6,000. in farkles I will never recover, don't need the little money I would get for it and We enjoy the big girl, my Lady likes speed and noise like I said she owns a Fat Bob for 15 years.
She is a tough little girl from South Boston.

I need a bike to take RVing I'm 68 years young and want to spend 3 to 4 months a year on the road and a 700 lb bike is stupid heavy to put on and off and my lady can't drive it she only weighs 100 lbs, she loves the rear seat but when out of town I want something SHE can drive also,

Your 2019 Tracer is WAY different than a 2022 Tracer GT I will buy, new seats I don't have a JUNK problem, I've had a Corban for over 10 years on my 14 because people complained about the SAME problem on the C14,

your old second-generation VS third generation

Third generation[edit]​

2021 (Tracer 9 and Tracer 9 GT)[edit]​

In 2021, Yamaha introduced a completely redesigned bike. The engine has increased in capacity and horsepower, and a new exhaust system helps meet Euro 5 emissions regulations. The frame is also completely new and so are the wheels. The swingarm is also new, and longer than the unit in the MT-09. The fairings, lighting system (based on the R1's), TFT dashboard (2 units, side by side), hand guards, seats and tank are also new, with increased fuel capacity (from 18 to 19 liters). Both versions now include cruise control and center stand as standard. The "GT" version also includes new side cases capable of holding full-face helmets, six-axis IMU with cornering ABS and lean sensitive TCS, cornering lights, heated grips and semi-active electronic suspension from KYB. Notably, the new model is lighter than the previous by 2 kg.

Corbin

Last edited:
After all the work I performed on mine and being a low mileage Police Enforcer converted back to a civilian my Plan is to keep mine, Yes it's heavy but I have other bikes much more nimble and lighter I use daily to commute to the office.

Of course, I want the Next Generation Concours if it's built on the H2 SX platform being Supercharged and lighter than 680 pounds but for today

Connie the Orca is a perfect Sport "Touring" bike to Escape up into the Mountains for weekends with the wife and what little we rode it she was still extremely happy out back after replacing the Corbin cop seat and replacing it with an eBay stock OEM seat that had me sliding towards the tank and then to what I feel is perfect ZX14 seat with no complaints. Besides, starting basic maintenance in march it sat being worked on for what seemed like forever whenever I look at this picture to remind myself life is too short to bitch so now we plan to ride the wheels off of it.
Before this bike, my weekend getaway ride was the 2004 Ducati ST4S Sport "tourer" that had over 100 thousand trouble-free miles probably cause I did the maintenance and repairs and truly regret selling it cause we had a lot of history and parts were getting scarce and costing stupid Money cause that's what greedy people do!

Hope to meet up with some of you in the future

Attachments

• 02D7341B-E9D7-48A9-BF35-F96C86AEB699.jpeg
    02D7341B-E9D7-48A9-BF35-F96C86AEB699.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 118
  • AC273FCC-AED5-4E4C-AD3A-193550C64004.jpeg
    AC273FCC-AED5-4E4C-AD3A-193550C64004.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 118
After all the work I performed on mine and being a low mileage Police Enforcer converted back to a civilian my Plan is to keep mine, Yes it's heavy but I have other bikes much more nimble and lighter I use daily to commute to the office.
What did you do with the radio box, fender support, handlebar switches and all the other LE-specific stuff?

I went the other way with my '12: Kicked my lady off the rear seat and rebuilt the thing into a high-speed pursuit motorcycle, with which I can pursue two of my favorite hobbies - motorcycling and ham radio.

Pics will be forthcoming when I tidy things up a bit more. Yesterday I got the rear lights wired and tested, along with some other items.

Of course, I want the Next Generation Concours if it's built on the H2 SX platform being Supercharged and lighter than 680 pounds but for today

Connie the Orca is a perfect Sport "Touring" bike to Escape up into the Mountains for weekends with the wife and what little we rode it she was still extremely happy out back after replacing the Corbin cop seat and replacing it with an eBay stock OEM seat that had me sliding towards the tank and then to what I feel is perfect ZX14 seat with no complaints. Besides, starting basic maintenance in march it sat being worked on for what seemed like forever whenever I look at this picture to remind myself life is too short to bitch so now we plan to ride the wheels off of it.
Before this bike, my weekend getaway ride was the 2004 Ducati ST4S Sport "tourer" that had over 100 thousand trouble-free miles probably cause I did the maintenance and repairs and truly regret selling it cause we had a lot of history and parts were getting scarce and costing stupid Money cause that's what greedy people do!

Hope to meet up with some of you in the future
Heavy is relative; compared to the Road Glide Special I came off of, the Connie is as light as a feather lol.

What did you do with the radio box, fender support, handlebar switches and all the other LE-specific stuff?

I went the other way with my '12: Kicked my lady off the rear seat and rebuilt the thing into a high-speed pursuit motorcycle, with which I can pursue two of my favorite hobbies - motorcycling and ham radio.

Pics will be forthcoming when I tidy things up a bit more. Yesterday I got the rear lights wired and tested, along with some other items.
This is the second one purchased from the same dealer the first split the frame but that had to do with me playing with lots of nitrous! So from what I remember both were from the same Town in SC and sat at the dealer's storage facility since 2015 due to litigation when the L-E department refused acceptance after Kawasaki engineers performed ( Not The Dealer ) a major recall of rebuilding the entire electrical system.

I purchased them with a new harness to run two batteries but the police equipment like the lights and bars, radio box the cut-up fairings were all replaced with brand new non-L-E Kawasaki parts, the only Enforcer parts left on the bike are the switches and they go with the new installed Harness I already looked into removing then but the connectors and pin-outs are different and the Heli Horizon steer like a wet noodle handlebar have the DIN connectors built into them for the radar gun charger that I will use for my heated gear.
I believe that cop stuff was returned to the town of Myrtle beach but will make a phone call for you since I work with the dealer on projects related to work and we have a good relationship.

here is a link to the story on the major recall

This is the second one purchased from the same dealer the first split the frame but that had to do with me playing with lots of nitrous! So from what I remember both were from the same Town in SC and sat at the dealer's storage facility since 2015 due to litigation when the L-E department refused acceptance after Kawasaki engineers performed ( Not The Dealer ) a major recall of rebuilding the entire electrical system.

I purchased them with a new harness to run two batteries but the police equipment like the lights and bars, radio box the cut-up fairings were all replaced with brand new non-L-E Kawasaki parts, the only Enforcer parts left on the bike are the switches and they go with the new installed Harness I already looked into removing then but the connectors and pin-outs are different and the Heli Horizon steer like a wet noodle handlebar have the DIN connectors built into them for the radar gun charger that I will use for my heated gear.
I believe that cop stuff was returned to the town of Myrtle beach but will make a phone call for you since I work with the dealer on projects related to work and we have a good relationship.

here is a link to the story on the major recall

I have had an email exchange with the owner of that site regarding his involvement with the C14P, the subsequent recall and re-engineering of the Enforcer concept. He's not electrical, though I am (having done the EE thing professionally for over 40 years) but his insight into the recall jibed exactly with my reverse-engineering of the failure mode. The missing piece of the puzzle: All the LE-spec accessory wiring was originally run under the tank - including power leads. Add vibration and chafing...you get shorts. A short of the main power leads to the secondary battery system will definitely cause a main fuse failure.

My power-distribution design routes four individual busses from a Fuze Block underneath the right top fairing cover down the front sub-frame spars, through the battery area and up along the right-side rear sub-frame into the seat area. From there, three run into the top box while one is connected to a Powerlet jack which is mounted in the now-unused seat lock hole in the left side cover. Double and triple shielding is used in places and the runs are securely fastened.

There are a total of 10 control and audio lines run underneath the tank; all are securely fastened and adequately clearanced.

Back to the new harness: I have an OEM-numbered Kawi harness which appears in their 'fiche but which the VP of Fleet Sales and Operations absolutely refuses to acknowledge the existence of. For grins, I bought an OEM "cilvilian" harness from the same year bike and am going to lay the two out on a harness board, side by side...then compare the connectors, additions, changes, etc.

If you ever want to ditch the switches, let me know. I have just about every conceivable crimp tool and connector that's used in motorcycling, and would help you reconfigure your setup. As an aside: I $pent another $500 on crimp tools alone for this project. Gem and Probity used Tyco's Mini Mate-N-Lok series for their accessory lead connections, and I can readily build harnesses with them.

A short thread bump:

If that dealer, you, or anyone else reading this thread has pics of a dual-battery setup as installed in the top box in question...I'd love to see them.

Will update both this and the "What have you done..." thread with the latest battery fun - but in short, I'm puzzled how the second battery mounts - and which size battery was used.

First of all, Mr been there done that I said I'm keeping the 2011 C14 that I've had for 11 years... I've got a good $6,000. in farkles I will never recover, don't need the little money I would get for it and We enjoy the big girl, my Lady likes speed and noise like I said she owns a Fat Bob for 15 years.
She is a tough little girl from South Boston.

I need a bike to take RVing I'm 68 years young and want to spend 3 to 4 months a year on the road and a 700 lb bike is stupid heavy to put on and off and my lady can't drive it she only weighs 100 lbs, she loves the rear seat but when out of town I want something SHE can drive also,

Your 2019 Tracer is WAY different than a 2022 Tracer GT I will buy, new seats I don't have a JUNK problem, I've had a Corban for over 10 years on my 14 because people complained about the SAME problem on the C14,

your old second-generation VS third generation

Interesting... Maybe I'm reading it reading it wrong but your reply seems a bit touchy and I'm not sure why. I never mentioned anything about you selling your bike. As far as been there, done that, I have, which is why I engaged in conversation. I looked at the new gt before buying the concours and had it out on a demo. As for the seat and junk problem no seat in the world would have fixed the issue on the 19 gt... The seat was literally at a 30 degree slope to the tank. There were plenty of females on the tracer forum who were complaining how unbearable the positioning on that bike was. They changed the positioning in the latest release but imo the ergonomics are still uncomfortable.

Before I bought the concours I demoed the new gt and a few others. Ergonomics were still pretty bad for me on the bike. Not to mention in the latest gen they somehow managed to make the bike even uglier. The wind is still an unbearable issue... The seating position still sucks for me, albeit improved, the gear box is still as notchy as my 17 fz9 and what the heck were they thinking with the saddle bags? They gave it looks only a mother could love. The quick shifter and even newer TFT screen (19 had a TFT and quick shifter for only up) were slightly nicer additions over what the 19 had. I actually enjoyed scrolling through the menus with the handlebar scroll wheel.... Makes a ton of sense in the way it was designed. Like I said it was a fun bike but not well thought out overall for a sport touring bike. Though with a nice exhaust nothing sounded as cool running through the gears on that triple with the quick shifter.

Just my belief but for the money there are much better bikes out there like the versys or the new Suzuki that fit the bill.

As a side note I'm probably one of the few here that actually finds the stock concours seat, windshield and ergonomics to be comfortable out of the factory so take all my experiences with a grain of salt. 😀

Last edited:

That tells me something is in the works. I was one of those polled by Kaw back in 05 or 06 IIRC. I was already a COG member and we were already speculating on the forum... would Kawasaki put the zrx12 engine in a new Concours? What about a header and no dual exhaust like on the c-10? (I liked that idea). It was awhile before the c14 debutted, but it definitely took cues from some of the q's we were polled about. If this is SOP for Kaw... something new IS in the works.

Steve

That tells me something is in the works. I was one of those polled by Kaw back in 05 or 06 IIRC. I was already a COG member and we were already speculating on the forum... would Kawasaki put the zrx12 engine in a new Concours? What about a header and no dual exhaust like on the c-10? (I liked that idea). It was awhile before the c14 debutted, but it definitely took cues from some of the q's we were polled about. If this is SOP for Kaw... something new IS in the works.

Steve
I received and took the survey as well and have to say it was very lengthy in nature. I sort of wondered why it was as time consuming after the 4-5th page I filled out. Would make sense what's being said about something in the works.... Someone surely put work into that survey.

Steve
I hope so Steve. I just decided against buying a 2022 BMW R1250RT a couple of days ago, partially based on this thread. I am going to wait until Nov/Dec to see if Kaw comes out with a new Supercharged full electronics packaged next gen Concours. If they do I will buy it right then and there. If not, I will probably place an order for a 2023 RT. I bleed Kawasaki green, so I am sure hoping they don't let me down.

I've only owned what they call today a Naked bike till the C14, no shield or faring of any kind, so when I got on the C14 after not riding for 20 years I was in heaven, I've never bought anything that has given me such satisfaction for so little money, I've been into racing boats mostly $ but motorcycles are the best bang for the buck period.
and this bike is near perfect in every way, motor, transmission, air pocket, indestructible, I've been at the track not wanting to upshift because of the corner coming up and floating the valves or whatever you want to call it, you can't hurt it, It's the perfect package, I was thinking of finding a newer version, strip my bike of it's farkels (suspension, etc) then sell 2011.
When I bought this bike I figured it would be my last, I will always have a !t as long as I can ride but I'm getting something the Mon can drive also to take RVing she has only driven big HD's and I believe she will enjoy a 900 Yamaha, she has Balls for a 100lb 67 year old girl.

More likely, there won't be a "next" Concours.
Then Harley it is for a touring mount.

Specifically, Evo and Twin Cam era stuff. I can open up a JP Cycles, V-Twin or any one of a number of similar aftermarket supply catalogs and source a complete rolling chassis - engine, transmission, suspension, you name it. A trip to the area swap meets will net me all the bodywork I can't get through the catalogs (i.e., OEM saddlebags, fairing and lowers, Tour Pak) along with the required electrical goodies.

I can build a neat, reliable 95" Evo-motored or 103" Twin Cam Road King this way. Add a quick detach Tour Pak/backrest mount, a Memphis Bat Wing, Bob Dron or Hoppe fairing and a set of OEM lowers for the engine guards for cooler weather and the result is a three (possibly four, if everything is powdercoated) season touring mount. It can easily be reconfigured for the ride at hand.

Given the number of manufacturers looking to drop large-displacement motorcycles from their lineups (e.g., the GL1800) I think you'll see a resurgence of the roll-your-own crowd. Too bad the industry had to specialize so much and we have no "UJM" this go-around.

Specifically, Evo and Twin Cam era stuff. I can open up a JP Cycles, V-Twin or any one of a number of similar aftermarket supply catalogs and source a complete rolling chassis - engine, transmission, suspension, you name it. A trip to the area swap meets will net me all the bodywork I can't get through the catalogs (i.e., OEM saddlebags, fairing and lowers, Tour Pak) along with the required electrical goodies.

I can build a neat, reliable 95" Evo-motored or 103" Twin Cam Road King this way. Add a quick detach Tour Pak/backrest mount, a Memphis Bat Wing, Bob Dron or Hoppe fairing and a set of OEM lowers for the engine guards for cooler weather and the result is a three (possibly four, if everything is powdercoated) season touring mount. It can easily be reconfigured for the ride at hand.

Given the number of manufacturers looking to drop large-displacement motorcycles from their lineups (e.g., the GL1800) I think you'll see a resurgence of the roll-your-own crowd. Too bad the industry had to specialize so much and we have no "UJM" this go-around.
Is it official that Honda is completely dropping the Gold Wing?
I haven't found any source for that. I HAVE read that they will stop U.S. production of the Gold Wing and that they would transfer all Gold Wing production to Japan.

Anybody? Anybody?
Anybody have an online link to more recent info concerning Gold Wing production or total cessation of same?

I haven't found any source for that. I HAVE read that they will stop U.S. production of the Gold Wing and that they would transfer all Gold Wing production to Japan.

Anybody? Anybody?
Anybody have an online link to more recent info concerning Gold Wing production or total cessation of same?
I'm interested to know as well

The availability of parts is one of the reasons I've been trying out a Road King. Not so sure it's really an issue though. You can still run and maintain a C-10 and likely will for years to come. The C-14 should be largely the same. Should be plenty of used parts for the next decade or so. It's the electronics that are worrisome.

The Gold Wing is not being cancelled. It appears Honda is only dropping the Trunkless Gold Wing from the Gold Wing lineup.

GWRRA is shutting down this October.

Last edited:
The Gold Wing is not being cancelled. It appears Honda is only dropping the Trunkless Gold Wing from the Gold Wing lineup.

GWRRA is shutting down this October.
Good news (y) and very sad news :cry:.
Thanks Fred, at least for the first part.

Anybody? Anybody?
Rumor around here, Canada, is that the standard shift version of the Goldwing is done. Apparently due to emission standards (worldwide). The DCT can be programmed to shift quicker and the redline dropped, in order to meet the new standards. Or so the story goes.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned or thought that a new Concours model (probably with a different name) could
be an ELECTRIC version. Why not - with gas prices the way they are, it might be worth having a model or 3 in there lineup
that doesn't use gas. Many car manufacturers are switching to electric and in the next 10 - 15 years or so - ALL cars will be electric.
Which also means that the infrastructure for charging stations will be much much more than they are today.
I'm just thinking outside the box as to something that might be possible - maybe they will skip a year or two and then bring out
an electric model - hard to say and I don't have any inside knowledge about what any of the big motorcycle manufacturers have planned,
but anything is possible.
If you Google electric Motorcycles there are quite a few already on the market. So IMHO it's only a matter of time before a Major
Motorcycle Manufacturing Company jumps on the bandwagon and starts producing them.

An all-electric Connie with similar range and capabilities would weigh...I dunno, maybe 1000+ lbs?

You're right Merle. I was being generous...overcompensating I guess for my natural hatred of electric vehicles.

An all-electric Connie with similar range and capabilities would weigh...I dunno, maybe 1000+ lbs?
I can see that happening. Just think, with the right configuration, you pull into a charging station, not to recharge, but to swap battery packs that are already charged. Pull them off like saddle bags and swap in a charged set. Keep rolling. The discharged bags are slapped onto the charger for the next rider.

If batteries keep evolving for the better, it could happen. But for cars, a bit more of a strategic problem. Where would you store a mountain of car batteries to swap with depleted batteries?

I remember years ago reading of a technology where you could pour fresh electrolyte into a tank and run that until the charge was depleted. Then roll into a station to drain the tank of the old stuff. I guess it didn't work out. It's an interesting problem.

Battery packs where the bags are now would have some interesting effects on handling, not to mention the loss of utility.

Problem 1 batteries will be way lighter and last longer charge faster in the near future, being the past owner of a ZERO bike I agree with today's technology it won't happen till the next generation of batteries appears for consumers now only in lab settings.

Problem 1 batteries will be way lighter and last longer charge faster in the near future, being the past owner of a ZERO bike I agree with today's technology it won't happen till the next generation of batteries appears for consumers now only in lab settings.
I'm not sure next-generation batteries are going to bring a lot of joy. Energy density (by weight and volume) of current batteries is over 2 orders of magnitude worse than gasoline. Companies like QuantumScape are shooting for a 50 percent improvement and production is still a long way off. Teslas most recent battery actually took a step backward in energy density in order to improve charge-rate. Cars and trucks can deal with the massive weight inefficiency of batteries better than a motorcycle can, so I'm far from convinced a compelling electric bike is in our near future.

I keep looking for a “suitcase” battery module that standardizes fast change outs. Roll in, swap batteries, roll out. Old module goes in a charging rack like lift truck batteries. Bikes use one, cars use several, trucks- different problem.

I keep looking for a “suitcase” battery module that standardizes fast change outs. Roll in, swap batteries, roll out. Old module goes in a charging rack like lift truck batteries. Bikes use one, cars use several, trucks- different problem.
I've been saying the same thing for quite a while. Saw a video about wireless charging being embedded in the road across the pond. Expensive. I guess it might be plausible in big inner cities.

I've been saying the same thing for quite a while. Saw a video about wireless charging being embedded in the road across the pond. Expensive. I guess it might be plausible in big inner cities.

Wonder what wireless road charging might do to pacemakers?