• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine noise

Mountpac

Big Wheel
http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/shocked.gif
So, I had wwhat sounded like tappet noise in the engine. Slowly getting louder. Took the time and set all valve clearances but noise is still there. Some say it may be the cam gear tension adjuster but I am not sure if I want to go there or not. Some say the Kawi motor is always noisy. Has any one else had a similar noise? In the upper area, left side of the motor.

Robert

Just curious, how many miles on the bike? Either way though, just prior to the cam chain tensioner clicking over the next notch the cam chain can sound quite noisy. You checked your valve clearances, so good there it sounds like (BTDT a couple times myself).
Like magic, you'll start the bike up one time and it will be back to quiet. I've gone through that 3 times on my Connies, and it is pretty noisy just prior to that click over. There are alternative tensioners, and techniques, but....... I've been satisfied with the stock setup and ride away, considering it a character  badge for my Connie  :)

+1 on what Vic said. If it is cam chain noise it should be noisier on cold startup and get a little quitter as she warms up.