• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine off key on showing rpm

earlgrimm

Ok I am stumped.
putting girl back together after carbs off valve adjustment

today turned on key and tapped started. Turned over fine.
Mounted tank.
Added fresh fuel
Primed
Turned key to on
Presses started button nothing
Just a buzz
Key off no buzz

charged battery
Key on ( have lights on dash)

Relay sticking on J box or diode in J-box shorted allowing voltage to travel in reverse of it's normal flow.
Borrow a J-box to switch out as test. Maybe easy.

Harder. Get J-box schematic. Trace back wires that would close circuit if diode shorted.
Trace back starter and main relays.
If it buzzes you can feel it to be bad.

Of note believe diodes usually fail open not closed but it can happen.

I believe also there is a member here that rebuilds these units. Reasonably sure he or someone else will recognise this failure mode.

Well it was the battery.
showed good voltage but load test dropped it flat to zero

she runs and sounds wonderful
But
Fast oil leak must be from the valve cover gasket šŸ˜±šŸ˜¢

ExcelLent!
Would rather buy a battery than a J-box.
Do find it hard to collate symptoms of tach rpm to a battery issue though..
Interesting set of failure data.

"Would rather buy a battery than a J-box."
One year ago I paid north of $120 for a old school Yuasa battery and the acid to put into it. Larry Buck gets $80 (exchange) for a rebuilt junction box. I've purchased two from Larry Buck over the years for two different motorcycles. Joints aren't just remelted but relays are upgraded with higher quality relays. Once Larry Busk rebuilds a junction box I cross that off the list of things to worry about failing in the future. Larry Buck and Steve Selsick both provide flawless quality upgrades.

Last edited:
Have no issues with Buck at all. Not with his services. Not with his prices.

Two wires to change a battery no matter the price.

Last I pulled a J-box just dealing with getting connector clean was a PIA. Had to pull some
connections from molex to finally clean it like it would need.

Last edited: