• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine Rebuild After Hydrolock event

K_C_M

Hi All, I am rebuilding my GTR1000 (Concours C10) after a hydrolock event on no.1 cylinder I knew it was bad and I've spent a while getting the parts together to put her back on the road.
I've got the head done and still retained Steve's torque cams with new valve guides. The cylinders are being bored out for the Wisco 1039cc kit to give a few more cubes, but now I have to get the conrods together and as you might expect one of them is bent!
Does anyone know if I can use the rods from a zx10b ninja and if so do I need to do any work to the crank and which shell bearings to use? Or do I have to stick with the standard c10 rods, if so do I need a set or is it OK to replace juts one rod?

Thanks.
Kevin

I suspect the stock rods were used.
Where did you get the 1039 kit, {ie; did you recently buy it}
I would think the kit would have instructions with it.
If not, I assume you can contact Wiseco for instructions.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, the rods have not been replaced yet. I want to know if the zx10b rods ( as a set of course) can be used as a direct replacement for the stock conrods and if so, what shell bearings would I need. I have a replacement used stock rod out of another C10 engine, so I can use that, but then it might not be an exact match for weight and balance to the existing rods in my engine. Any thoughts?

The pistons were only just purchased from Wiseco through Dynoman's website. The kit came with instructions of how to prepare the cylinders and install the pistons, but nothing to advise on the crank shaft shell bearings as the overbore kit doesn't depend on the conrods or the crankshaft.

Thanks,
Kevin.

My suggestion would be to compare the weight of both rods. If they are the same, then you're good to go!

Doug

Ok, I understand now.
NOTE: I have parts to build a 1052 so I have a little knowledge about your build..
The parts I have are are ZX-10B Rods and {I think} ZRX-1100 pistons. (??)
(My memory isn't current; I balanced everything, and got things ready to do the build, but I've never {10+ years) got around to doing the install}.

Important; The ZX-10B Rods are used in my combination because the "wrist pin hole" in the ZRX pistons are not in the same location as the Connie OEM Pistons. (The ZX 10B rod/ ZRX piston combination puts the top of my piston at the top of the cylinder.)

On your 1039 set, I suspect that the "wrist pin hole" in your new pistons are in the same location as the Connie OEM Pistons.
(The OEM rod/ Wiseco piston combination should put the top of the piston at the top of the cylinder.)

Read your instructions carefully, and/or contact Dynoman/Wiseco to get clarification.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted. Very useful info. I'll go with the stock conrods as I don't want to risk getting the wrist pins out of position. As you mentioned, the Wiseco pistons are designed for the stock conrods.
My bike is due in the garage in mid November. I'll post again on this thread once the rebuild has been completed.

Kev.