• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

EU C14

rain dancer

I was on an FJR forum, and saw Yamaha is stopping the FJR after 2020 due to Euro5 standards.  In further reading, saw mention that the C14 won't be offered in Europe in 2020. Didn't see one on their EU site. Anyone know if it's true?

gsun said:
Are the Euro5 standards an emission thing?
Yes, they are very strict for both particular and noise emissions. The manufacturers are going to great lengths to make things like chain guides and valve trains quieter.

Rain Dancer said:
Just Cliff said:
C14 hasn't been offered in Europe since 2017.

Ah, I didn't realize that, thanks fior the info. So I gather larger sport touring bikes aren't selling in Europe?
HeavyRotation said:
gsun said:
Are the Euro5 standards an emission thing?
Yes, they are very strict for both particular and noise emissions. The manufacturers are going to great lengths to make things like chain guides and valve trains quieter.

They don't meet emission standards over there. They are very strict over there as stated above.

I fully expect 2020 to be the last year for them. Hope not, but the writing is on the wall.

BMW went to variable valve timing to meet the new standards. The C14 already has it. I wouldn't think that it would take too much to make it comply. However sport-touring bikes are not big sellers and Kawa has put a lot into the 1000 Versey and the H2 lines so it is possible they will drop the C14 when they use up their inventory.

Kinda related maybe...the new Ninja 1000, the "1000SX" has now been endowed with electronic cruise control. Being touted as a sport tourer.  Kinda sad to see the Concours left untouched while they push the H2SXSE and now the 1000 as their sport touring bikes, and dumping all sorts of upgrades into the Versys.

Clearly 2020 isn't the year for major upgrades to the C14.  Like others, I'm skeptical the C14 will be produced beyond '20.

Unless the C14 goes to "fly by wire" throttle control, there will likely be no cruise control.

Somewhere at Kawasaki is an actuarial spread sheet showing the boomers moving out of the motorcycle market and loss of sales in the current C14 market with the new models replacing the C14.

Motorcycle sales being down worldwide does not help. I heard a few years ago the sales of the C14 in North America was ~3000 or less. Adventure bikes also have taken a big bite out of the declining sport touring market.

just have to mention, and don't mean to siderail the posts here, but I simply love your new avatar photo Craig...

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :beerchug:

Just watched Strangelove again last night, one of my favorite movies for sure,

P.O.E. 

:great: