• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Evel Knevel Museum-Topeka,Kansas

ZG/ZN Kim

In the early 70's besides good music, there was Evel Knevel. He was in his prime back then, being on ABC Wide World of Sports quite often. Seems all I can remember is him making a jump then crashing. Last weekend my wife and I stopped by the Evel Knevel museum in Topeka. It was cool, good investment of $15. They have reproductions of most of his jumping bikes, explain the good and bad with them. From what I could see, none of them had any rear suspension. They have 90 second videos and displays  of all of his big jumps, at least 15 of them. He made a jump in the Houston Astrodome, in front of 90,000 people(not sure where they put them all). The Cesar's Palace crash is still amazing that he survived. They have one of the Snake River Canyon rockets there, yes there was 2 of them. You will need to go to the museum and find out why.
Topeka is right along I-70, if you need a 1.5-2.0 hour break, I am recommending this as a stop. My wife also enjoyed the museum, so how can you go wrong?
Like I said earlier, all I remember is Evel crashing during his jumps. He was actually successful 375 times out of 400 attempts.  Check it out.

Yes he was something. A kid starting out with nothing, in a dead end town.
Took what he had and made us all watch him. Just another American story.

My one true regret in my life was not going out to the Snake River "event". It must of been a party.