• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Experience upgrading armor in riding gear -- what fits and what kind of doesn't

santacruzrider

I’m upgrading the armor in my jackets and riding pants, and thought I’d share what I’m learning as far as what fits and what doesn’t, how much CE Level 1 has changed in the last several years, and how different the prices can be from one product to the next.

Note that none of this involves scientific data or testing (beyond that represented by manufacturers stamping the “CE Level x” on their gear.)

For those short on time, I’ll give away the exciting conclusion: The newer visco elastic armor (the kind that changes its molecular structure in response to an impact -- like the D30 stuff) is thinner and more flexible than the old CE Level 1 armor, a number of brands seem to be perfectly interchangeable between different brand jackets, and there are some few cases where the old stuff -- though less comfortable -- just stays in the right place much better. (y)

If you’re interested in the sausage-making details, I wanted to upgrade the armor in several jackets, brands including Fieldsheer, Tourmaster, and Scorpion. Styles include leather, perforated leather, textile, and canvas. The pants were Tourmaster textile and Scorpion textile overpant. Gear belongs to two riders, so don’t shame me for gear hoarding. :devilish:

Original armor ranged from non-CE basic sleeping pad foam or two-layer foam (mostly in the pants) to CE Level 1 style using rigid plastic shields attached to ¼-inch cloth pads, and a couple of instances of older CE Level 1 visco elastic armor. My goal was to get everything up to at least CE Level 1, and as much as funds, fit and comfort allowed, up to Level 2.

By shopping online prices and being willing to mix brands, I got some great deals on armor from D30, SAS-TEC, and Fieldsheer Armadillo.

So what did I learn:
  1. All the armor fits a little different, even between two jackets of the same brand. The Armadillo shoulder armor is perfect in my full leather Tourmaster, but totally sucks in my perf. leather Tourmaster where it gets totally out of alignment and I doubt would help much in a crash. For the second jacket, the new SAS-TEC is perfect.
  2. Level 2 armor is thicker than Level 1 armor, but the new Level 2 visco elastic stuff is about the same thickness as the older Level 1 visco elastic from the very same brand. My guess is that they are improving the effectiveness, making it easier to go a bit thinner. The net effect is that upgrading from older Level 1 to new Level 2 has no change in jacket fit.
  3. The three brands of armor all look and feel about the same quality. This is not scientific, but they all have about the same flexibility, thickness and weight, and felt about the same when I smacked them with a hammer. All three do vary a bit in profile and dimension, but all could be coaxed into my jackets.
  4. There was one spot where I decided to just stick with the old-school Level 1 stuff. On the elbows of one leather jacket, none of the new visco elastic armor would stay where it needed to be when I rode, and it kept repositioning to the inside of my arm. Lacking any adjustments on the arm and having no desire to get out a needle and thread, I went back to the old Level 1 armor made out of hard nylon and cloth pad. It’s more rigid and less comfortable, but it stays right where it should be in case I ever need it.
  5. Level 2 armor makes your butt look big. :eek:New Level 2 D30 fits great on my Scorpion overpants, but on my sportier fitted textile pants, they just ruin my figure. OK, maybe that’s not true, but they are too thick to fit well. They are fine when I’m standing around, but after a bit on the bike, they start jabbing up on my hip bone and generally feel like crap. For that pair, the newer Level 1 is going to be my compromise.

So, am I safer? Maybe, or probably, or at least I’d bet I’m not less safe. In every case I upgraded at least 1 level and the jackets are all still as comfortable. In a few instances and places, they are much more comfortable.

Note that I didn’t mess with the back armor as I always remove it and instead wear a separate Level 2 back protector under my jacket. Yes, it makes me look fat -- no, I don’t care.

Anyway, would love to hear if this aligns with what other riders are finding with armor, or if anyone has some hacks for how they improved safety without buying stock in visco elastics.

Cheers

haha

Just finished reading a thread in ADVRider about CE and Euro testing ....jees there is a lot of opinion and controversy. After wearing Motoport for 3 or 4 years I do not like going back to my Alpinestars, Kawi GA, Olympia or any other gear. Just my opinion which without a couple of bucks won't get you a cup of coffee.

Valid point of view -- Motoport makes nice stuff. That's puts you somewhere in that grey where most of us are, trying to protect ourselves within reason of comfort, budget, and just being able to continue to love the ride without feeling like we're in suit of medieval armor (unless that's your thing, and then rock it brother!).

From my own experience (sample size of 1), even taking half measures can make a world of difference. I had a 50+mph high side where with ninja-like skill I was able to land first on my outstretched arm, then my head, then my shoulder, and then I did this really cool head first full body slide while watching my C10 follow behind me -- blocking traffic. Unfortunate casualties includes a leather jacket with a shoulder that ground all the way through and down to the underlying CE Level 1 hard plastic pad (which stopped the asphalt intrusion) and a pair of Scorpion half-mesh textile pants where the front pocket zipper ground down to nothing, but the 500 denier fabric still looks new and the el cheapo foam hip pad prevented even a bruise.

Actually, like me, the pants weren't a full casualty -- I cut out the destroyed zipper, sewed up the pocket, upgraded the hip pads and have put another 40,000+ miles on them. KLR cheap? Maybe! :p

I gave up on my Air 2.0 overpant this year... The knee armor was everywhere, the waist band is
half broken, and black overpants and Florida summer just don't 'mesh'.

I picked up a pair of Rev It! Tornado 3 riding pants, and I'm sorry I didn't sooner.
Klim Aggressor Cool -1.0 Pants underneath and I'm cool and comfy!
My Hit Air Jacket (air bags) is about as far as I can go for torso/neck/spine protection.
Tech I hope to never test.