• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fall riding

Strawboss

I've not seen anyone here comment on riding in the fall and some of the things to remind ourselves about.

-Deer
-leaves on the road, especially wet ones
-snow that doesn't melt when it hits the road means that the road temp is under 32F
-black ice, see above
-hypothermia
-idiots that don't scrape whole windshield thats iced over
-tail lights/headlights covered with snow, cars and bikes
-Deer
-Deer
-DEER

Say what you want about FL riding, but we don't have to check any of those in the list. :nananana: ;D

More of a winter and spring issue but down here in the south if it does get cold enough to freeze they dump enough sand on the road to be a real hazard.  They say because it gives better traction on the ice.  Sure I don't have the bike on ice but the sand lasts for months and does not help traction at all on the bike.

I forgot about sand and associated products, here in many of the more rural areas they still used cinders at intersections for snow, like sand, slippy when there is no snow. 

Fall-ing...while riding...for any of the listed reasons.

Also my favorite, drivers with the extra excuse that they do not expect anyone is crazy enough to ride in fall/winter so really did not see you. It's your 'fallt'.

smithr1 said:
More of a winter and spring issue but down here in the south if it does get cold enough to freeze they dump enough sand on the road to be a real hazard.  They say because it gives better traction on the ice.  Sure I don't have the bike on ice but the sand lasts for months and does not help traction at all on the bike.
Sand is a year-round hazard on Long Island because the island is made of it.  Any hill close to the road can let sand blow off by wind or wash down by rain to a streak across a road.  When I was a young'un I spun a "cage" on a residential street , 30 mph zone, on the north shore where it's hilly.  It was a streak of sand across the road and some over inflated tires, maybe 40 PSI like the C10 rear.  I learned about driving from that.