• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Falling Washers

gr8scott

Dumb question time... While disassembling things to get the rear wheel off, the washer pictured below fell off while I wasn't looking. The Clymer manual does not show a washer on the right side of the wheel in the Rear Hub sketch (p. 328 in my version), nor do the reassembly steps address it. On reassembly, does it go between the nut and swing-arm, between the swing-arm and the brake bracket, or between the brake bracket and spacer collar?

Scott

20201216_130146.jpg

Looks like the washer that goes between the swingarm and the nut.

Ride safe, Ted

Gee Ted, I dunno. Neither of my bikes have a washer, and neither the fiche(s) or Manual shows one there.

Looks rather thin, and marred like something has been turning against it.

A mystery to me.

Scott, question for you: Did you get this bike new, or used? Is this the first time you have had the rear wheel off?

Going to assume used, and the first time off. I'm suspecting that it was something a PO added between the swing arm and the nut,..... where Ted described. The OD looks like it just might fit up in that pocket under the nut, and with no pressure applied once the nut was removed, it decided to fall out.

My .02

Last edited:
I think your correct Guy. Was probably in the pocket.
I think I added a washer to mine.
But, the OD of that washer looks a bit too big to fit in the nut pocket (??).
Give it a try and see...

Here is a long shot thought; {gr8scott} Does your bike have the 17" rear wheel conversion?
If so, there is a possibility what a washer/spacer was added to make the brake caliper align correctly with the rotor.

Ride safe, Ted

Gee Ted, I dunno. Neither of my bikes have a washer, and neither the fiche(s) or Manual shows one there.

Looks rather thin, and marred like something has been turning against it.

A mystery to me.

Scott, question for you: Did you get this bike new, or used? Is this the first time you have had the rear wheel off?

Going to assume used, and the first time off. I'm suspecting that it was something a PO added between the swing arm and the nut,..... where Ted described. The OD looks like it just might fit up in that pocket under the nut, and with no pressure applied once the nut was removed, it decided to fall out.

My .02
Bike was purchased new by me in 1998, an this is the first time I've taken the wheel off on my own. A buddy and I have been doing the tires ourselves for some years now, but he has always handled the disassbly, so I've never paid much attention. Prior to that, a regular MC shop did my tires for me. I'm finally getting a little more self sufficient.

I think your correct Guy. Was probably in the pocket.
I think I added a washer to mine.
But, the OD of that washer looks a bit too big to fit in the nut pocket (??).
Give it a try and see...

Here is a long shot thought; {gr8scott} Does your bike have the 17" rear wheel conversion?
If so, there is a possibility what a washer/spacer was added to make the brake caliper align correctly with the rotor.

Ride safe, Ted

It does fit in the pocket, and no, stock wheel.

Are you the "Scott" in the middle of these two characters? New program doesn't show member names like the old one did.... at least that I've found yet. I think you may be, but not sure.

?????????

P5180015-XL.jpg

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. One thing I noticed though is that my beer drinking team has a serious motorcycle problem....... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. One thing I noticed though is that my beer drinking team has a serious motorcycle problem....... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
LOL! and it continues today.

Those were good times. Wish this virus crap would take leave so we can get on with our lives. Never happen if the morons amongst us keep ignoring the basic rules about co-mingling and use a little common sense.

Frustrating.