• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fastest way to Sac from Pahrump

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
Hey Cali (and ex-Cali) people:

Google maps says the fastest way to Sac from Pahrump is up CA-99.  Why not I-5 instead?  I'd be pulling a trailer, so I'm not going to be doing 75.  What's CA-99 like?

99 is crowded, busy and rough, and always with heavy truck traffic.  It will save you about 1/2 hour to max of 1 hour for the overall trip depending where in Sac you are heading (and traffic and construction, etc.).

I-5 is straighter and more boring (nothing to see, forever), but traffic flows better and faster. But sometimes it's pretty windy (and may be a factor depending on your trailer and the day).

They both suck. (I take the 99 on the Concours cause I-5 puts me to sleep)

If you have the time and prefer some scenery - through DV to 395 up and hang a left into Sac on the 80 (or 88 if you don't mind two lane through the mountains).  The time should be pretty close to the I-5 route.

Hope you're doing something fun!

Thanks Keith!

I was hoping you were going to chime in.

Edited to add:  I'm totally familiar with US-395, I-80, CA-88, US-50, etc. because I used to live in Reno (I miss that scenery but not that climate).  I just don't wanna deal with those pulling a trailer.

WANDRNG said:
Hope you're doing something fun!

Well, I took CA-99 and Keith's assessment was accurate.  It was crowded, but it was the fastest way.  And with me pulling a trailer, I wasn't actually being held up by anyone.  I went down starting late Thursday night.  The worst part of the trip was actually CA-58 coming back on Friday night at around 6PM.  Starting in Boron it was 5 miles of stop and go trucks.  Holy crap that intersection was nuts.

As to doing something fun:

This thing jumped into my trailer in Sacramento and followed me back home.  I thought it was cute, so I decide to keep it.  It even knows how to hold my morning coffee for me...

:)

I've been house training it with a quick run down Badwater Rd. in Death Valley followed by an oil change.  A run across Death Valley to Lone Pine and one more oil change it will be completely house trained.

;D

Tried to buy one of those in Sacramento, let me walk out over two hundred dollars as a returning customer!

FTB530 said:
Tried to buy one of those in Sacramento, let me walk out over twoo dollars as a returning customer!

I didn't have the discipline to bargain for that last $2.    ;D

CaffeineMan said:
FTB530 said:
Tried to buy one of those in Sacramento, let me walk out over twoo dollars as a returning customer!

You have to be tough lol or have fat fingers and can’t type on a phone!

FTB530 said:
CaffeineMan said:
You have to be tough lol or have fat fingers and can’t type on a phone!

All I could think of was that (now old) movie "Better Off Dead" with the paperboy:  "Twooooooo dollarrrrrrrs!"

;D