• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Few items plus lowering links

croach1776

Tonto
Ok. Got the minor leak from petcock bolt - one of the OEM plastic washers I was using bolt hole was deformed plus I had metal washers over them which according to schematic were not necessary. So two brand new washers and the leak is fixed. Tried to fix my fuel gauge sensor issue by bending forward metal tab the prevents rod with float from rotating too far into the tank. But doesnt seem to have fixed the issue. Will try the resistor fix next, I did this before I had to dry dock her and the shop must have removed it during rehab work. Got my lowering links and dropped them off at the shop. I'm gonna have them drop her 1.75". Any thoughts on this. The will lower the front too and bend the side stand. I'm gonna try the 2x8 in the garage to see if this helps get her up on the center stand, if too much of a problem they can adjust the center stand too. Next will try the Easy Power Mod and see if I can get the PO heated grips working.

Back when i hd my 98, i had to use the 2x8 with the stock set up to get her on the center stand. Ur dropping it 1 3/4 inches lower.... good luck with that lift....

Back when i hd my 98, i had to use the 2x8 with the stock set up to get her on the center stand. Ur dropping it 1 3/4 inches lower.... good luck with that lift....
Blue was lowered when I got it from the PO. Only way I could get it on the center stand was with help from my son. Only a beast could get that bike on the center stand alone.

butBack when i hd my 98, i had to use the 2x8 with the stock set up to get her on the center stand. Ur dropping it 1 3/4 inches lower.... good luck with that lift....
Was it ever possible for you to get her up without the wood
Blue was lowered when I got it from the PO. Only way I could get it on the center stand was with help from my son. Only a beast could get that bike on the center stand alone.
I heare ya. But ya know I will have to give it one try

With original suspension I stack two 2x6" and stand along side as I drive it up. The center stand will just lift it off the wood. You could do it with bare feet. I cut a 45 on the end of each piece to help the roll up.

After your happy with the new height, shorten the center stand. Problem solved.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Ya Im gonna try the ramp solution first and see if that works as long term. I dont put it up on the center stand much when riding but you never know when that might be necessary. I think a 2 x 10 would be more preferable and cutting a incline would definitely help. Thanks

Croach, no i always had to use the 2x6 ramp. Its the only way i was comfortable/confident in putting her up on the centerstand.

I wonder of you could cut the board short enough to carry with you. I think I heard of someone doing this.

I have used just a small section of 2x4. You have to get it in the center of the tire and stop the bike at just the right spot. I can get the bike up but feel safer with a spotter. The 2x6 is a little more forgiving and will still fit between the center stand legs. With the double stack the stand goes right down.

Ya I am always nervous about getting it up, if it starts tipping over away from you not much you can do to stop her. Last drop was getting her up on Cstand in driveway. Unfortunately the right leg of the center stand was in the flower garden off edge of concrete, started sinking in the more I tried to get her up then gravity took over. Cracked rider side peg but amazingly not in a place where it would cause a problem. I am riding with a totally cracked peg.

Okay. Looks like the new washers on petcock stopped the very minor leak. Checked my coolant. Found it easier to do by
shining a light into overflow reservoir, the coolant kinda glowed and was able to see level clearly, almost overfilled.
I pulled back tape from wire bundle coming from igniter in preps for Quick Power Mod, wanted to see if finding the yellow/black wire
would be a problem, but nope there it was on top. Will review You Tube by Steve and give it whack next weekend. Hopefully shop will also
schedule installation of lowering links this week. Got some good ideas about getting her up afterwards using a 2x?

Cause I cant sue myself it its screwed up. There are three areas that need to be addressed and they all are co-dependant
1. Install the lowering links and make sure both are equal in height and allow the rear wheel be true.
2. Lower the front to keep original ride geometry....again need to make sure forks are equal height in the triple tree
3. Adjust the side stand by heating and bending to ensure bike will remain upright vice falling off.

If the temporary use of a block of wood, etc under the rear wheel proves too much of a hassle then will have them refab the center stand to
make this easier to use.

Ride safer.