• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Figured out how to get the back wheel on easily

big0red4224

My new method for not fighting the wheel to get it back on the splines. It may be a known trick, but I was at a loss.

I put the wheel on the axle and run the axle all the way through the swing arm and run the nut on just a couple of threads. Then I get down on the ground, lying on my side on the left side of the bike, facing the final drive. I reach my hands around opposite sides of the final drive, grabbing the wheel hub and squeeze the two together. Popped right on, the first try.

I fought it for 10 minutes trying to get it on from seated behind the bike.

I think you just got lucky but I will give that a try next time. The problem as I see it is getting the splines lined up perfectly.

My new method for not fighting the wheel to get it back on the splines. It may be a known trick, but I was at a loss.

I put the wheel on the axle and run the axle all the way through the swing arm and run the nut on just a couple of threads. Then I get down on the ground, lying on my side on the left side of the bike, facing the final drive. I reach my hands around opposite sides of the final drive, grabbing the wheel hub and squeeze the two together. Popped right on, the first try.

I fought it for 10 minutes trying to get it on from seated behind the bike.
Same here - fight from behind the bike; I can see how this would work better - nice tip to try.

Hmm. I have done 4 rare changes on my C-14 and do not recall any problems. Did start putting it in gear. Fresh spline grease and on. It is a heavy combo compared to sportbikes with BST rims, lol. I will log this info for the next time, thanks for sharing. Maybe I just got lucky.

I did somebody else's a month ago and had trouble. Was sitting on the driveway behind the bike and after 5 minutes we did the axle trick. Which you would think would be the answer, but it was not. Took it back out to look at it, rotated 180 and it went on first attempt. I've done mine 40/50 times with no problems.

I run the axle in and get the wheel and drive splines together. Then just a matter of turning the wheel on the axle until the splines mate up. Sometimes it take 10 seconds, sometimes 10 minutes.

I think the reason it worked for me was the symmetrical pressure applied by grabbing on opposite sides of the drive. You just can't do that from behind the bike. I had already put it in gear and it was still fighting me.

I think the reason it worked for me was the symmetrical pressure applied by grabbing on opposite sides of the drive. You just can't do that from behind the bike. I had already put it in gear and it was still fighting me.
That makes sense.

So far with 12 years of owner ship I have not fought the rear tire going on even being on the center stand. Luck I guess. Don't forget to check for some grease on the splines.

I fold a towel under the tire to help adjust the height of the hub so it can slip on easily with the axle in it. It seems to take the pain out of this for me once you get the hang of it.