• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final drive gear oil

fournations

Hi guys, so I just want to make sure after the oil nightmare. I'm changing the final drive. Im gonna put super tech 80W-90 gear lubricant GL-5. Says extreme pressure formulation. Thumbs up on this stuff? Or no. Jim

No scientific proof, but I personally stay away from the Walmart brand.

Used Kawi Diff lube for the first 25k.

Just switched to Mobil1 Full syn when the Kawi bottle ran dry.

No discernible difference in rideability or anything else, but I like synthetic products, and Mobil1 never lets me down.

gr

ghostrider990 said:

No discernible difference in rideability or anything else, but I like synthetic products, and Mobil1 never lets me down.

gr

+1

ghostrider990 said:

gr

What weight is the Mobil-1?

I use the Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 also and drain and fill it with each oil change at 5,000 miles. I know its overkill but I already have the drain pan out and it only takes a minute. I fill with a ketchup type squeeze bottle so super easy.  It took a number of changes before the original grey color finally went away. Now it looks clean when I drain it. Makes me feel good when its fresh looking so why not.

Tundra said:
ghostrider990 said:

gr

What weight is the Mobil-1?

75w-90 i believe.  Perfectly adequate for Synthetic.  Readily available everywhere, but not particularly cheap.

A little goes a long way for the Final Drive.  I too change my final drive fluid when I change the engine, at about 5k miles.  :great:

As for some non-scientific testing, these are interesting, particularly in reference to the Amazon Basics oils that on the market now. If you watch carefully, one of the testers points out that Warren Industries (one of the oldest oil producers in the U.S.) is the manufacturer of both Supertech AND Amazon branded oils.  :-\

Also, worth while noting that both Amazon and Supertech are rated for SN Plus API rating, where M1 is only SN rated.  The motorcycle specific oils may have different ratings, specs, and results.  But this is an interesting set of outcomes.

Keep in mind, that these videos are not Final Drive oils, they are engine oils.
I merely posted these to compare brands, as i was the first to disparage the Supertech.
I still won't use a cheaper oil, that has only been on the market a short time.
I'm familiar with M1 brands, have used them extensively in my own vehicles, and I feel safe using them under the operating conditions I frequent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjF1sJ5VeXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc

gr

Dirtwiz said:
I use the Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 also and drain and fill it with each oil change at 5,000 miles. I know its overkill but I already have the drain pan out and it only takes a minute. I fill with a ketchup type squeeze bottle so super easy.  It took a number of changes before the original grey color finally went away. Now it looks clean when I drain it. Makes me feel good when its fresh looking so why not.

+1  :great:

ghostrider990 said:

gr

:great:

75w-90 i believe. Perfectly adequate for Synthetic. Readily available everywhere, but not particularly cheap.

A little goes a long way for the Final Drive. I too change my final drive fluid when I change the engine, at about 5k miles. :great:

As for some non-scientific testing, these are interesting, particularly in reference to the Amazon Basics oils that on the market now. If you watch carefully, one of the testers points out that Warren Industries (one of the oldest oil producers in the U.S.) is the manufacturer of both Supertech AND Amazon branded oils. :-\

Also, worth while noting that both Amazon and Supertech are rated for SN Plus API rating, where M1 is only SN rated. The motorcycle specific oils may have different ratings, specs, and results. But this is an interesting set of outcomes.

Keep in mind, that these videos are not Final Drive oils, they are engine oils.
I merely posted these to compare brands, as i was the first to disparage the Supertech.
I still won't use a cheaper oil, that has only been on the market a short time.
I'm familiar with M1 brands, have used them extensively in my own vehicles, and I feel safe using them under the operating conditions I frequent.

gr
I picked up the Mobile-1 75w90 full synthetic today for just $12.00 bucks at my local AutoZone auto parts store. That's cheap enough for me. Good brand name, good protection.

TIMELY topic! I just changed my gear oil and Wallymart only had Valvoline SynFull 75W-140 full synthetic in stock, so that is what I got. It does met the GL-5? specs. Any ideas, comments on using 75W-140 instead of 70W-90. Thanks in advance.

I have run to many miles on my cars and trucks with super tech oil and lubes to be concerned about quality. I never even think about ditching a vehicle until they have over 200,000 on them. .Never tried the oil in the bike, use the rotella but have used the gear lube.

Jim, I change my diff oil every other time I change the engine oil. I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil, paid about $12 for 1 quart bottle that should be enough to change the diff oil about 5 times, or about $2.50 each change. Changing the diff oil is the easiest maintenance job on the bike, right up there with checking tire pressure. The bottle has a spout on it to make it very easy to fill the diff back up. Do not rotate the wheel to get more oil in, more is not better in this case.

I use the Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 also and drain and fill it with each oil change at 5,000 miles. I know its overkill but I already have the drain pan out and it only takes a minute. I fill with a ketchup type squeeze bottle so super easy. It took a number of changes before the original grey color finally went away. Now it looks clean when I drain it. Makes me feel good when its fresh looking so why not.

I have been using the Lucas Oil 75/90. In a squeeze type bottle....and I am always careful how I cut the tip

I use the Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 also and drain and fill it with each oil change at 5,000 miles. I know its overkill but I already have the drain pan out and it only takes a minute. I fill with a ketchup type squeeze bottle so super easy. It took a number of changes before the original grey color finally went away. Now it looks clean when I drain it. Makes me feel good when its fresh looking so why not.
Amen to that. Fluids are the life blood of our machines. Cheap insurance and makes me feel good. I ride it hard and maintain it well.

Has anyone EVER heard of rear gear problems? I never did.

I was into outboard drag racing, many of the racers were from the Houston, La area, they work in all phases of the oil industry, and from what they say that Walmart oil is just fine, they call it a joke that people are so hooked on BRAND names, from what he said they run many different company products depends on the day, from what he said they use the same base oil for most oils only additive changes and containers to put the oil in, he said the only oil that comes from special tanks was Rotella oil, go figure.

Last edited: