• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final drive incontinence and a ray of sunshine:)

Smokeyjoe

Beads of fear induced sweat gathered on my brow as I gazed upon the oil dripping to the floor. My 2011 C14 w/65k was bleeding 75/90wt.
Pull the wheel off and found weeping from under the bevel gear plate. Read the shop manual...I have been wrenching for many years but the section on "final backlash check" gave me pause.
This is the long way to say thank you to Ted and all the other brothers who mentioned ebay as an option! Cheers and thanks:)
Jack

Reactions: Bud
Yes - I bought a spare FD off EBay (cheap) shortly after I bought my used, low mileage '08 a few years ago.

Good insurance - my original FD is doing just fine.

Pretty certain it will, differences in 08+09 to the 2010 and newer versions were mostly heat midigation issues so bodywork was changed. There were some additional changes like seats, eliminating the top storage on the tank, linking brakes.. engine, trans and drivetrain are all the same..

Here's an interesting one for the C14 crew at large. Bear in mind this isn't my first rodeo with final drives on shaft bikes; I know most of the failure points associated with other brands/models:

Looked at the rear wheel of my '08 and saw a spattering of droplets all around the left side of the rim. The right rear quadrant of the final drive case is streaked with what appears to be a moly compound; like it came out at speed. FWIW, any time I have the rear wheel off for a tire change I completely service the drive line: Moly grease on the wheel driven splines and on the driveshaft nose splines, fresh final drive oil. The service manual doesn't show any O rings or other seals intended to keep the wheel spline grease inside that area. Possible gear case oil leak? I haven't checked the oil level yet but will today.

There's about 3K miles (and 4 years) on the tire. I have a salvaged final drive unit inbound just in case but am wondering if I'm dealing with a seal leak or something else.

Here's an interesting one for the C14 crew at large. Bear in mind this isn't my first rodeo with final drives on shaft bikes; I know most of the failure points associated with other brands/models:

Looked at the rear wheel of my '08 and saw a spattering of droplets all around the left side of the rim. The right rear quadrant of the final drive case is streaked with what appears to be a moly compound; like it came out at speed. FWIW, any time I have the rear wheel off for a tire change I completely service the drive line: Moly grease on the wheel driven splines and on the driveshaft nose splines, fresh final drive oil. The service manual doesn't show any O rings or other seals intended to keep the wheel spline grease inside that area. Possible gear case oil leak? I haven't checked the oil level yet but will today.

There's about 3K miles (and 4 years) on the tire. I have a salvaged final drive unit inbound just in case but am wondering if I'm dealing with a seal leak or something else.
You don't think it's wheel spline grease? I know I often get a few spots after a tire change and lube. Wipe it down and good to go. Nothing to messy, just a bit around the hub.

You don't think it's wheel spline grease? I know I often get a few spots after a tire change and lube. Wipe it down and good to go. Nothing to messy, just a bit around the hub.
It looks like spline grease. Beggars a question, then: What made it suddenly migrate out? Dry splines are bad news, as they'll wear quickly.