• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Finally a helmet for the Texas heat

jim snyder

Saw this today and checked it out online. Air conditioned helmets. The company is Feher Helmets. Website is feherhelmets.com. Price was better than I expected $549 on sale.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1535309933978.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535309933978.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 199
Just saw this while at lunch today.  Pretty neat concept...DOT and ECE too!  Too bad it's for the Texas heat and not the Arkansas heat... :rotflmao:

But what's it weigh??? Too heavy and the cooling wouldn't matter much.

CRocker said:
Just saw this while at lunch today.  Pretty neat concept...DOT and ECE too!  Too bad it's for the Texas heat and not the Arkansas heat... :rotflmao:
No problem just tell them your from Texas when you call.

Grant,

They claim approx 1450 grams...about what your typical modular helmet weighs...definitely possible with modern technology...not too bad...in my opinion...but, even if they're fudging by 10% it shouldn't be bad...I can remember the AGV(?) Air Conditioned helmet from 30 years ago...seems like that thing weighed over 5 pounds...

Jim,

I can just tell them I'm a Texan?  Sweet!  :beerchug:

I tried an AGV Air Conditioned helmet several years ago.
Didn't work at all. Was hot and "heavy"...

Was not actually air conditioned, had a heat exchanger system in it that was supposed to remove the heat.
Was an Old Stock helmet that they were selling on Ebay. "Cheap"
So, it was probably past it's usefulness.

Ride safe, Ted

From the design/pics, looks like it’s using a Peltier cooler (electronic - you see these used on 12v coolers).

Had a 12v cooler - kept things cool, about 50 degrees. I could see this working for a helmet, just wonder how they perform the heat transfer - airflow? I would think using a pad with liquid in it would transfer heat from your head much better.

I’m interested.

That's funny, I read the title....and my knee-jerk reaction to that was "pffffft....ONLY if it's air conditioned!"  :rotflmao:

gr

JimBob, what you described is exactly how the helmet I bought was supposed to work.
Admittedly, the one's I bought were past their prime.

Looks like it’s using a Peltier cooler. and I would think using a pad with liquid in it would transfer heat from your head much better.

I'm NOT trying to be a naysayer here.
If this does work it would be great!

Ride safe, Ted

Ok, I did a little research.
The helmet uses both.
  It cools the air with a thermal electric cooling module and forces the cooled air across your head with a fan.

Here is the how it works video.
https://feherhelmets.com/pages/video

I'm more interested now, so I sent them a note with questions.
One of the questions was; will they offer COG a group discount..
                                          (It never hurts to ask)  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Update; No Group discount, but they are on sale now for $549.
            Also sed; "not currently" offered in a Modular.
                Makes me think that a Modular "might" be on the drawing board..  >:D

connie_rider said:
JimBob, what you described is exactly how the helmet I bought was supposed to work.
Admittedly, the one's I bought were past their prime.

Looks like it’s using a Peltier cooler. and I would think using a pad with liquid in it would transfer heat from your head much better.

I'm NOT trying to be a naysayer here.
If this does work it would be great!

Ride safe, Ted

Peltier’s work...BUT...I think for the helmet you’d need some really good airflow, so not a fan but a compressor wheel blower (what is often called a squirrel cage). Fans don’t work well with turbulence or resistance, so pushing through small tubes is out. Blower wheels can actually generate pressure (hence “compressor wheel”), which works well for something like this.

Looks like it runs on the bikes 12v system, so no reason to not use a BIG peltier, and powerful fans, for both the head-side air and cooling the Peltier.

The cooler I had worked, but it wasn’t great. I recently had a small “dorm” fridge that had 2 Peltiers, ran on AC (well, had a power supply built in that converted to 12v). It worked fine - kept my beer cold. So there’s hope this could really work.

I wear an old ugly gray modular helmet, and I rode in a lot of heat last August. I found what helps keep the head cool is lots of airflow, even in the heat. Also, if you stop for lunch or whatever, take your helmet in the A/C building with you rather than letting it set/hang on your bike in the sun, or at least make sure it is in the shade. A clean bandana every day between head and helmet helps absorb sweat and keeps previous ride's dirt/sweat off your forehead. Also, color makes a difference in the sun, with white being the coolest. No A/C for me, thanks, I prefer lots of airflow.

If these were sold as a modular, I'd have one...
Unfortunately they are not.

So, I noted the mfg.
  He replied that a modular may be in the works...

Ride safe, Ted

Ted,
The one you're talking about, did it have a bladder over the top of the head, and they a Peltier device on the very top? I remember seeing one like that MANY years ago, but it was horribly expensive.

Yep, that was it. I bought mine on ebay (3) for about $50 each.
Probably old stock.
None worked...
I think they might have gave me my money back when I told them they didn't work...

Ride safe, Ted