• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First Ride and a Few Questions

rwantinn6038

We had our annual Spring Tease here in Michigan this week - and I FINALLY went for a ride on a bike that was delivered just before Christmas. Up until this point I've been bolting some things on and just looking at it longingly. Wow, just wow. I am totally blown away, and am madly in love. I think the biggest surprise was just how easy this beast is to manage. In short, I am still grinning.

That said, my goal is to get it to near 600 miles as quickly as possible and get the first major done, to clear the way for some trips this spring/summer. I have always done all my own work and have owned some forty bikes but only a handful of brand new ones. The last major first service I did myself was an '05 Bandit 1200, which included a valve check (screw-type adjusters and easy). How many of you had done the first major yourself? I have a factory shop manual en route so can do it by the book. Was it a big deal? Level of difficulty? Let the dealer do it?

Second - reflash. I keep hearing I need to do this. I did research it, so not necessarily asking about it, but how soon is too soon? Did you ride yours a while first? Since I have a few bikes that make some great noise, I am going against the grain and retaining the stock muffler to keep my touring somewhat quiet. I understand there are some positive gains to be made in rideability even with the stock can. Okay, fine, so maybe I am asking about it. I'm not necessarily seeking more power (it has plenty to me), but welcome improvements. Is one better suited to this than others? I would also prefer a supporter of this site/group. Not worried about a little down time (it's about to get colder again and I have other bikes), but of course I'll be jonesing to ride the new kid.

Thanks (in advance) for your time. Damn, I love this thing, and what a great group to go along with it.

IMG_6712.jpg

Congratulations on your new ride. I’ll bet you still have a big grin on your face. Look in the owner’s manual and see what is involved at the 600 mile check. I only remember doing the oil and filter change and I did it myself.

Check your fasteners and ride it. I’d try to ride a flashed bike for comparison and see what you think. I personally have a flash, but do what suits you.

I have the stock can because I like it quiet too. Aftermarket exhausts may add a little power but it’s a personal choice.

Enjoy!

I would ride the bike for awhile, before doing any mods.
Then, begin farkling, including a Flash.

Whenever you get a chance, ride more with us too.
Being with other Concours Owners is the best way to see farkles that have been added to the bikes, and there are some fine people
in this club. <even Ron> :sneaky:

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks guys, and it was torture! I hadn't thought about the owner's manual. Duh. In any event, I have torque wrenches and the like, I suppose the first major is an opportunity to get to know it better.

Regarding the flash, that was my impression - smoother and the like. I'll have to noodle that some more.

In my opinion Flash is absolutely necessary. The smoothness is amazing and if like me after you flash you regret the niles that were ridden without the added smoothness and quality of ride.

For the flashes either Ivan’s Performance or Shoodaben Engineering. I personally have a full AreaP exhaust and Ivan’s 2020 AreaP full exhaust flash. Amazing performance. Prior to the full AreaP exhaust I had stock exhaust and Ivan’s Performance stock exhaust tune - great improvement over stock. I believe Shoudabeen Engineering offers more options for stock tuning but I have no experience with them.

You’ll be a bit surprised at the amount of work it takes to change an air filter, with some patience and a shop manual will get you far. The instructions in the owners manual will get you by for the air filter but deeper than that I would suggest a factory manual, digital or otherwise. I just finished the valve clearance inspection / adjustment and the factory manual is more than detailed for a basic at home grease monkey - it is involved job though and not like the Banshee or C10 that have screw adjustments.

You’ll learn quickly if the stock windshield, stock suspension or stock seat fit your style of riding. I found WS and rear Shock a bit lacking, we tour long days frequently with a good amount of spirited riding mixed in. California Scientific Large WS and Penske 8975 Dual Adjust shock resolved my complaints in that area.

If you do as us frequent long touring a throttle lock or true cruise control will be nice addition. That is a feature I am still floored Kawasaki has not resolved...

Welcome. On changes and working yourself on your bike, here's what I've observed:
* once the stock tires get over halfway used up, get yourself a new set. We all prefer the replacement tires, whatever brand.
* everybody uses different motor oil, and all are happy with their current choice. When I used a super slippery synth (Redline oil especially), I got clutch howl (slipping) from stops after working the tranny hard on twisty roads; easy fix, changed the oil early.
* to get even more agile handling, some of us steepen the nosedown angle slightly, either by A) mounting next taller rear tire size (if you have good inseam height), or B) lowering the nose - by raising front forks - 0.6" (me) to 1.0" (on forum). (B) requires bar risers to get clearance. In all these cases the stock kickstand still works.
* I second Connie Rider's suggestion to go on a couple of COG rides / functions. Cog members were a welcoming group to me when I first showed up, two weeks into ownership.

Last edited:
On the ECU reflash, It depends on weather or not you like the on/off throttle response at low engine speeds.
This is why I had mine reflashed, it was jerky going on/ off throttle at low revs.
Others here have posted how it moved the power band around; more low end torque etc etc, to be honest I couldn't tell on that issue.
My C-14 has alot of power everywhere in the rev range.
The reflash smoothed this on/off throttle jerk out and made it much nicer to ride, 350 well spent IMHO
Nick 2014 C-14

This is great info guys, much appreciated. I DO have a factory shop manual on the way (always insist on having one with all my bikes), I was just trying to get a feel for how involved the first major was. Good call on the diff - easy to do as well.

Interesting. I haven't had a ton of seat time yet, but did note some jerkiness, which I attributed to my being unfamiliar with the bike. My bar for fueling is a high one - I have a Speed Triple mapped to the Arrow exhaust. I have never ridden an injected bike that ran/responded so perfectly. Even with the stock can, I see where I may want the same for the Concours.

I would ride the bike for awhile, before doing any mods.
Then, begin farkling, including a Flash.

Whenever you get a chance, ride more with us too.
Being with other Concours Owners is the best way to see farkles that have been added to the bikes, and there are some fine people
in this club. <even Ron> :sneaky:

Ride safe, Ted

As much as I hate to admit this in public, I agree with Ted. :oops:

The 1st service is minor & easy to do, don't bother with a dealer.

Congratulations!

I would like to learn how to do tires on my own; mounting costs are ridiculous - especially if you ride the bike in.
A good friend of mine owns an independent shop about 10 minutes from here. I've bought three bikes from him (great deals), and as a bit of a loyal customer he's happy to order tires for me on the cheap. I always unbolt them and just bring the wheels to him. I am really fortunate in this regard.

Congrats rwantinn6038! Awesome ride. I won't add to what the others have said here, other than encourage you to come to '21 National Rally, held Jun 14-18 at Lake Guntersville State Park (outside Guntersville, AL). Your new ride is itching for you to take her on a long trip. :)

rwantinn6038,
Welcome and congratulations on the new bike! My opinion FWIW (my 2 cents)....sounds like you are comfortable working on motorcycles. This bike is not terribly different if you have the factory service manual. Also very helpful are Fred's videos if you have access to them. What I found remarkable is the number of things, parts, and stuff you need to remove or relocate to do a valve adjustment. Not difficult, just a lot of things.

As for flashing. I rode my 2012 for quite a while stock because I do not race, press the limits of street riding or ride fairly aggressively. With that said, and I am a daily rider doing mundane trips, I found the bike much more delightful at city speeds and even more so in low speed parking lot maneuvers. Additionally the get up and go for onramps, passing, and simply wanting unleashed speed was beyond my expectations and likely, for me, remains untapped.

You cannot go wrong with this bike or this group. ENJOY!!!

As much as I hate to admit this in public, I agree with Ted. :oops:
Cliff, I saw that... 😆

Rwantinn6038, on the Flash;
You'll notice how much easier the bike is to ease away from a stop light, particularly if your 2 up. {Smoother low end torque}
Smoother shifting. {don't ask me how a Flash of the fuel system does this, but it does}
If your familiar with the bike before the Flash, you'll probably notice that you are using a gear higher in the twisties and there is less need to downshift. {Lots more mid range torque}
Lastly; You'll notice that when you twist the "loud handle", ya better hang on tighter! {top end HP is king}

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I've had dozens of bikes of all kinds.... and installed pipes, full exhaust systems, pumper carbs, airbox mods, suspension mods of all kinds and on and on. Steves flash has made a bigger difference than all the thousands of $ and hours and hours I have spent on my bikes. You are going to do it at some point so just get it over with....maybe ride it stock for a couple thousand miles so you appreciate the difference but do it!

Congrats on the Connie. Nice looking indeed. I will also agree getting together with COG members at a COG event is a great way to see what others have done and get other ideas. The worst thing that would happen is you will make friends. I went to my first COG rally when the 09 was barely 5 mos old. Been here ever since.

I found my 09 had a jerky shift. My other half complained about it too. Pretty bad when a 46 year old bike shifts smoother.

I understand a flash will smooth things out and get better gas mileage. Might even run a little better like we need that.

We had our annual Spring Tease here in Michigan this week - and I FINALLY went for a ride on a bike that was delivered just before Christmas. Up until this point I've been bolting some things on and just looking at it longingly. Wow, just wow. I am totally blown away, and am madly in love. I think the biggest surprise was just how easy this beast is to manage. In short, I am still grinning.

That said, my goal is to get it to near 600 miles as quickly as possible and get the first major done, to clear the way for some trips this spring/summer. I have always done all my own work and have owned some forty bikes but only a handful of brand new ones. The last major first service I did myself was an '05 Bandit 1200, which included a valve check (screw-type adjusters and easy). How many of you had done the first major yourself? I have a factory shop manual en route so can do it by the book. Was it a big deal? Level of difficulty? Let the dealer do it?

Second - reflash. I keep hearing I need to do this. I did research it, so not necessarily asking about it, but how soon is too soon? Did you ride yours a while first? Since I have a few bikes that make some great noise, I am going against the grain and retaining the stock muffler to keep my touring somewhat quiet. I understand there are some positive gains to be made in rideability even with the stock can. Okay, fine, so maybe I am asking about it. I'm not necessarily seeking more power (it has plenty to me), but welcome improvements. Is one better suited to this than others? I would also prefer a supporter of this site/group. Not worried about a little down time (it's about to get colder again and I have other bikes), but of course I'll be jonesing to ride the new kid.

Thanks (in advance) for your time. Damn, I love this thing, and what a great group to go along with it.

View attachment 28792
Beautiful bike. The best thing I bought for my bike was Steve's Flash.

Thanks again guys. Already looked up Shoodaben Engineering. I think the only barrier at this point is not wanting to go anywhere to ship something. :)

Last edited:
If your going to ship your ECU to Shoodaben Engineering, You might want to call Steve and make sure hes going to be home and can turn it quickly. On the phone he'll talk to you about your riding style and what you want and thats a good thing.
I'm a Shoodaben Engineering Customer
Nick
2014 C-14

Beautiful ride Robert. (y) (y)

+1 on the ECU flash. I'm on my second Shoodaben flash, the Mountain Runner Premium (MRP). Steve is a righteous dude (Beuller? Bueller?...) and has done everyone, flash owner or not, a huge service with his work. Although my time on the bike with the most recent flash has been limited for obvious reasons, I have been super impressed with the improvement over the first flash. And that one was a huge improvement over stock. My favorite part is the much smoother take-offs in 1st gear. My short inseam makes that worth the $$ alone.

Good to see you have the FSM on the way. BTW, "Fred's videos" refer to the 10-disc set recorded and sold by COG member and C14 tech expert Fred Harmon out of Mountain Home, AR. I believe he is listed in the vendor section as Angel Ride Enterprises. He also has a set for Gold Wing owners.

Welcome to you, sir!

i rode half a season b4 flashing. i'm not getting into whose got the best flash. just research them all. also black widow full exhaust is nice too. just installed one.
good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
I have the same bike. Bought new December 2020 and have ridden nearly 4000 miles on it. My first fuel injected motorcycle (have a 2004 connie with 130k & and an oldie goldie '78 R100S). I flat out did not like the herky jerky throttle response. So ... I had the ECU flashed first by Shoodaben & second by IVAN.

Shoodaben Mountain Premium Flash ... I was disappointed. Even with throttle cable adjusted I still had inconsistent throttle response issues, this was especially concerning when accelerating out of corner at APEX. I would increase the throttle twist with no response and then suddenly get it all at once, throwing me out of my line. Another issue was the bike would start to lug when rolling along at 3k to 4k, steady throttle. I would have to give it throttle, wait for response, and it would smooth out. And lastly I had excessive fuel consumption even at steady highway speeds. I never got more that 38 MPG. The catalytic converters were working overtime, spitting accumulated moisture from my exhaust.

IVAN Flash ... difference was night and day. The bike performs like it should have from factory. A thoroughbred out on the open road and a barrel racer through the twisties. No excessive moisture. No throttle lag. No lugging. And excellent mileage when riding at a steady highway pace (55 to 60 MPG).

Note this is my experience with the two flashes. Both vendors are good folk and easy to deal with (Steve likes to converse and Ivan is direct). Both flashes cost about the same, around $350 including postage (my IVAN flash cost a little more because I paid for expedited shipping).

~wader

Last edited:
What a great group, appreciate all the feedback. And I am heeding some of the advice.

I went for another long-ish ride for the purpose of honing in on the fueling niggles to make a final decision on the reflash. That resulted in a great chat with Steve at Shoodaben last week. Long story short, my ECU should be back any time now sporting the MRP (was supposed to be yesterday, hopeful for today). Really looking forward to trying it out, and will report back.

Thanks again all.

I have the same bike. Bought new December 2020 and have ridden nearly 4000 miles on it. My first fuel injected motorcycle (have a 2004 connie with 130k & and an oldie goldie '78 R100S). I flat out did not like the herky jerky throttle response. So ... I had the ECU flashed first by Shoodaben & second by IVAN.

Shoodaben Mountain Premium Flash ... I was disappointed. Even with throttle cable adjusted I still had inconsistent throttle response issues, this was especially concerning when accelerating out of corner at APEX. I would increase the throttle twist with no response and then suddenly get it all at once, throwing me out of my line. Another issue was the bike would start to lug when rolling along at 3k to 4k, steady throttle. I would have to give it throttle, wait for response, and it would smooth out. And lastly I had excessive fuel consumption even at steady highway speeds. I never got more that 38 MPG. The catalytic converters were working overtime, spitting accumulated moisture from my exhaust.

IVAN Flash ... difference was night and day. The bike performs like it should have from factory. A thoroughbred out on the open road and a barrel racer through the twisties. No excessive moisture. No throttle lag. No lugging. And excellent mileage when riding at a steady highway pace (55 to 60 MPG).

Note this is my experience with the two flashes. Both vendors are good folk and easy to deal with (Steve likes to converse and Ivan is direct). Both flashes cost about the same, around $350 including postage (my IVAN flash cost a little more because I paid for expedited shipping).

~wader
Fellow Ivan flash fan here wader, dealt with Ivan before for my FZ1 jet kit and found he really does his homework on the bikes he does flashes or jet kits for. (He doesn't do them for just any bike.) I've found him great to deal with, and even rode the Dragon with him once. (Let me tell you he can ride too!) On the phone he'll discuss things at length in detail, but he doesn't post much. I wish I could get the highway mileage you get with Ivan's flash though. I think my problem is I have trouble keeping "a steady highway pace." That's my issue though, not the flash!

I've never heard anything like you describe with Steve's flash, though - makes me think it was a one-off that he would have corrected for you. He's a stand up guy with a lot of satisfied customers on this board. Either flash will make a huge improvement, that's for certain! I was going to wait until my warranty was up before flashing but decided not to wait. Wish now I had done it earlier.

I just read Wader's post. I don't recall being contacted about any issues. I don't know what year this bike is, but if it's a 2015 or newer (it is), and the 02 sensors weren't disconnected , that was the issue. Having flashed that file a few hundred times, i'm sure the 02 sensors weren't disconnected.

In the interest of saving money, it might be best to let the vendor know there's an issue, and see what they have to say.

Instructions to disconnect the O2 sensors comes with the reflashed ECU. For those who want to continue to run the 02 sensors, I have a flash that will leave the sensors enabled.

Steve

Last edited:
I wrote about it in another post (which got bumped to product reviews), but have since installed Steve's MRP flash (and disconnected the 02 sensors) and could not be happier. It is truly remarkable how much better it rides, and across the range is flawless. Really glad I listened to you guys and for that matter, did not wait!

Thanks again for all the guidance. Absolutely loving this bike (even more now).

I wrote about it in another post (which got bumped to product reviews), but have since installed Steve's MRP flash (and disconnected the 02 sensors) and could not be happier. It is truly remarkable how much better it rides, and across the range is flawless. Really glad I listened to you guys and for that matter, did not wait!

Thanks again for all the guidance. Absolutely loving this bike (even more now).

I also disconnected the O2 connector wires from the harness and then baggied up the two male ends and tied them off out of the way.

What I have a question about is how to plug the two female receptacles that now sit exposed and facing the pavement. They’re bound to get filled with gunk and road wash so I’d like to find rubber booties to close them off from the elements.

I realize those two lines aren’t being monitored by the ECU anymore, but if for some reason I want/need to plug these back in it’ll be a heck of a cleanup job. Maybe it’s just my OCD speaking.

Any suggestions?

If you think you might use them again someday, pull them in install threaded plugs. If you don't, they can just act like plugs. I think it would be tough to find a cover that will hold up to those temperatures.

OC
I also disconnected the O2 connector wires from the harness and then baggied up the two male ends and tied them off out of the way.

What I have a question about is how to plug the two female receptacles that now sit exposed and facing the pavement. They’re bound to get filled with gunk and road wash so I’d like to find rubber booties to close them off from the elements.

I realize those two lines aren’t being monitored by the ECU anymore, but if for some reason I want/need to plug these back in it’ll be a heck of a cleanup job. Maybe it’s just my OCD speaking.

Any suggestions?
OCD IMO. on the pre-15's they have the same connectors, still open, just zip tied to the others in the harness a bit higher up. You can do whatever you want, but IF for whatever reason you were going to re-use the o2 sensors, you could squirt out the connects with wd 40, silicone spray, whatever, and be good as new.
Steve

If you think you might use them again someday, pull them in install threaded plugs. If you don't, they can just act like plugs. I think it would be tough to find a cover that will hold up to those temperatures.

Actually, where the female harness plugs are installed (bracket connected to a throttle-side frame member off to the side of the radiator. There's not really any heat specifically on that mounting bracket, but agreed that near the exhaust and radiator there's a bunch of heat. The female ends are hard plastic, so something that would fit into the square openings where the male ends went is all I'd think would be needed. Even getting a couple of the male connectors without the wires and O2 sensors attached would work. Just something to plug the receptacle ends. I'm almost ready to use some good old fashioned 100-mile-an-hour tape and call it a day, but that'll leave a residue too.

Probably just overthinking this... LOL

OC

OCD IMO. on the pre-15's they have the same connectors, still open, just zip tied to the others in the harness a bit higher up. You can do whatever you want, but IF for whatever reason you were going to re-use the o2 sensors, you could squirt out the connects with wd 40, silicone spray, whatever, and be good as new.
Steve

"OCD IMO."
LOL, probably right. :^ )

"...just zip tied to the others in the harness a bit higher up."
Will look at the level of difficulty with relocating those female ends up and away from where they are now behind the cowling.

"OCD IMO."
LOL, probably right. :^ )

"...just zip tied to the others in the harness a bit higher up."
Will look at the level of difficulty with relocating those female ends up and away from where they are now behind the cowling.
I am super happy with my MRP flash, and have also disconnected my O2 sensors as per guidance from Steve.

For those looking for a 'tidy' O2 sensor bypass solution: https://kawasakibrad.com and a couple of others sell blank plugs and bungs for the pipes as a kit.

Cheers,
J

I just read Wader's post. I don't recall being contacted about any issues. I don't know what year this bike is, but if it's a 2015 or newer (it is), and the 02 sensors weren't disconnected , that was the issue. Having flashed that file a few hundred times, i'm sure the 02 sensors weren't disconnected.

In the interest of saving money, it might be best to let the vendor know there's an issue, and see what they have to say.

Instructions to disconnect the O2 sensors comes with the reflashed ECU. For those who want to continue to run the 02 sensors, I have a flash that will leave the sensors enabled.

Steve
2016 with MR flash, i don't recall disconnecting the O2 sensors , was i supposed to? Guess ill check and see if i did or not .

2016 with MR flash, i don't recall disconnecting the O2 sensors , was i supposed to? Guess ill check and see if i did or not .
It depends which flash you chose. I have a Mountain Runner that uses the 02 sensors, one with the sensors disabled, and then there's the Mountain Runner Premium with disabled sensors If the sensor is disabled, I have instructions on the sheet that comes with the ECU on disconnecting the sensors. I also hand draw arrows >>> <<< pointing at that particular section of information. I also generally discuss it with folks when they are ordering, and if it's a flash that uses the 02 sensors, I make a note of that in the area where I sign the instruction sheet.

Yes, I know... we are men. We don't read instructions. 🤣

If you're not sure, take a pic of the label on the bottom of the ECU and email it to me.

Steve

I kinda think OCD, but is this what your looking for?
(I am unsure what thread size is needed. M-18 seems to be the most prevalent)

Last edited:
Bought my 2015 in 2016 as a leftover. Had it flashed in 2016, but it was Steve's regular flash (Don't think the MR was available yet). I remember the instructions saying the disconnecting the O2 sensor is optional. So, mine is still connected and the bike runs great.

I kinda think OCD, but is this what your looking for?
(I am unsure what thread size is needed. M-18 seems to be the most prevalent)

The plugs like are found on the kawasakibrad dot com site listed above. There isn’t one (that I saw) for the C14. Wondering if it’s the same sensor used on the ZX14 though.

It depends which flash you chose. I have a Mountain Runner that uses the 02 sensors, one with the sensors disabled, and then there's the Mountain Runner Premium with disabled sensors If the sensor is disabled, I have instructions on the sheet that comes with the ECU on disconnecting the sensors. I also hand draw arrows >>> <<< pointing at that particular section of information. I also generally discuss it with folks when they are ordering, and if it's a flash that uses the 02 sensors, I make a note of that in the area where I sign the instruction sheet.

Yes, I know... we are men. We don't read instructions. 🤣

If you're not sure, take a pic of the label on the bottom of the ECU and email it to me.

Steve
Steve it is the mountain runner as i dont think you had the premium at the time i bought mine, i did read the directions and i think the sensors stayed connected , oh well it runs fine im not messin with it!

Fellow Ivan flash fan here wader, dealt with Ivan before for my FZ1 jet kit and found he really does his homework on the bikes he does flashes or jet kits for. (He doesn't do them for just any bike.) I've found him great to deal with, and even rode the Dragon with him once. (Let me tell you he can ride too!) On the phone he'll discuss things at length in detail, but he doesn't post much. I wish I could get the highway mileage you get with Ivan's flash though. I think my problem is I have trouble keeping "a steady highway pace." That's my issue though, not the flash!

I've never heard anything like you describe with Steve's flash, though - makes me think it was a one-off that he would have corrected for you. He's a stand up guy with a lot of satisfied customers on this board. Either flash will make a huge improvement, that's for certain! I was going to wait until my warranty was up before flashing but decided not to wait. Wish now I had done it earlier.
I have no doubt Shoodaben would have corrected issue. My experience with him was excellent. My moving to Ivan was a choice.

And the mileage thingee I get!! Hard to not ride the bike to potential. Most of my riding is done in high desert with wide open vistas (actually my preference as I get older). It's easy to just cruise at 70 with those kinda roads. :)

Steve
Hi Steve,

I did bypass/disconnect the O2 sensors. Installed a kit similar to this ... https://kawasakibrad.com/shop/ols/products/o2-eliminator-concours14.

And we had a follow-up discussion about outside temperature affecting performance. I think it was late December early January? And daytime temps hovering around mid-upper 30's.

When I installed Ivan's flash - mid/late January - the temp's were comparable.

I tried to keep the comparisons as equal as I could. Not fair to compare one to the other if conditions are different.

I hope you are doing fine health-wise. And thank you Steve for the follow-up!

That milage is incredible.
I am not exaggerating/embellishing. I do often get that mileage. To be fair though my trip averages are closer to high 40's to mid 50's. Most of my riding is done in high desert with wide open vistas (actually my preference as I get older). It's easy to just cruise at 70 with those kinda roads. :)

I am not exaggerating/embellishing. I do often get that mileage. To be fair though my trip averages are closer to high 40's to mid 50's. Most of my riding is done in high desert with wide open vistas (actually my preference as I get older). It's easy to just cruise at 70 with those kinda roads. :)

I just got back from a trip. While we were out on those long stretches of highway doing 75mph to 85mph (sometimes a little more) I was getting anywhere from mid-40's to mid-50's mpg. Around H-town's highways I can be known to ride about the same speed range, but unlike on the open road where there are fewer decelerations and accelerations, the mileage is only in the high 30's mpg.

On this recent trip, based on gallons filled and miles covered I averaged 46 mpg. Right now my gauge shows avg of 40.2 mpg overall with 6,827 total miles (since the end of March when I bought it new with zero miles).

BTW, after getting the MRP installed the machine runs MUCH cooler and seems to have slightly better mpg. I didn't do any official pre-ECU documentation of the efficiency, but I've noticed the gauge shows high 50's when I'm riding local feeders at 45 to 50 mph.

Hi Steve,

I did bypass/disconnect the O2 sensors. Installed a kit similar to this ... https://kawasakibrad.com/shop/ols/products/o2-eliminator-concours14.
Well... that explains it. Those plugs have resistors in them. Look at the pics, you can clearly see them. They are emulators to trick the ECU into thinking the sensors are in place. The problem is that with my software, that would still let the ecu attempt to correct my fuel settings, which explains the issues you had - exactly the same as leaving the sensors connected.

I really wish you had reached out to me with this information, but it's water under the bridge now.

Steve

View attachment 28792

Yes, I did my own initial service at 600-ish miles. Changed oil, filter, final drive 80/90, tightened the throttle cable, checked brake fluid reservoirs, added a couple pounds of air to the front and rear tires (it was March and still chilly overnight), topped off coolant and gave it a nice spit shine.

Saved ~$385 vs paying the dealership labor rate.

I’ve done all my maintenance since then. Most challenging was getting the body panels off and on without forgetting any bolts or pushpins. Am changing oil each 3k miles with 20W50 and have installed a reusable Flo oil filter/cooler from Schnitz Racing.
BC9BAE95-9E48-4206-8111-2B578C77DEEE.jpeg

Hi Steve,

Well... that explains it. Those plugs have resistors in them. Look at the pics, you can clearly see them. They are emulators to trick the ECU into thinking the sensors are in place. The problem is that with my software, that would still let the ecu attempt to correct my fuel settings, which explains the issues you had - exactly the same as leaving the sensors connected.

I really wish you had reached out to me with this information, but it's water under the bridge now.

Steve
Steve has sold multiple Flashes based on a riders Style, their wants, and "he" works to improve his Flashes continuously.
Reading thru this discussion (above) I see some confusion;
It seems that everyone that has Steve's Flash, and has an Oxygen Sensor on their bike should check and see if their bike is set up correctly.
ie; Is the oxygen sensor hooked up or not, and should it be...
Also, everyone needs to see if they (or a prior owner) installed a kit like wader used. (could be hurting performance)

If your in any doubt about any of this, contact Steve to be sure your getting the optimum out of your ride!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:

Steve
Good info for those following this thread... disconnect and tie the sensor wires up out of the way when using MRP. And, if installing termination plugs make sure they are inert.

later :)

I just got back from a trip. While we were out on those long stretches of highway doing 75mph to 85mph (sometimes a little more) I was getting anywhere from mid-40's to mid-50's mpg. Around H-town's highways I can be known to ride about the same speed range, but unlike on the open road where there are fewer decelerations and accelerations, the mileage is only in the high 30's mpg.

On this recent trip, based on gallons filled and miles covered I averaged 46 mpg. Right now my gauge shows avg of 40.2 mpg overall with 6,827 total miles (since the end of March when I bought it new with zero miles).

BTW, after getting the MRP installed the machine runs MUCH cooler and seems to have slightly better mpg. I didn't do any official pre-ECU documentation of the efficiency, but I've noticed the gauge shows high 50's when I'm riding local feeders at 45 to 50 mph.
That's good mileage indicator for local roads. Gotta like that!

Steve has sold multiple Flashes based on a riders Style, their wants, and "he" works to improve his Flashes continuously.
Reading thru this discussion (above) I see some confusion;
It seems that everyone that has Steve's Flash, and has an Oxygen Sensor on their bike should check and see if their bike is set up correctly.
ie; Is the oxygen sensor hooked up or not, and should it be...
Also, everyone needs to see if they (or a prior owner) installed a kit like wader used. (could be hurting performance)

If your in any doubt about any of this, contact Steve to be sure your getting the optimum out of your ride!

Ride safe, Ted
Hi Connie,

Thx for follow-up. My post was not intended to speak disparagingly of Shoodaben Engineering. He has been professional and helpful. I merely posted the differences I experienced with the two flashes (I admit to some embellishment on my Ivan description ... chalk it up to being a bit giddy from the ride).

And as Steve pointed out it may well have been the terminators causing the issue with his MRP flash. I did not experience my issues with Ivan's flash (terminator/covers installed).

What I have learned from this discussion is ... if using MRP, and installing terminator/covers, be sure they are inert - no electronics whatsoever ... basically a plastic cover. If in doubt just zip tie the wires back out of the way as Steve recommends.

Hi Connie,

Thx for follow-up. My post was not intended to speak disparagingly of Shoodaben Engineering. He has been professional and helpful. I merely posted the differences I experienced with the two flashes (I admit to some embellishment on my Ivan description ... chalk it up to being a bit giddy from the ride).

And as Steve pointed out it may well have been the terminators causing the issue with his MRP flash. I did not experience my issues with Ivan's flash (terminator/covers installed).

What I have learned from this discussion is ... if using MRP, and installing terminator/covers, be sure they are inert - no electronics whatsoever ... basically a plastic cover. If in doubt just zip tie the wires back out of the way as Steve recommends.

Concur, just tie the O2 sensor plugs up and out of the way. I added the step of using a small baggie to cover the ends, which then got zip tied up.

The inert plugs are what I was looking for originally, just because I didn't like the idea of leaving female sockets exposed to the elements. Next time I have the bike in the air (because I'm obsessive-compulsive) I'll probably use some duct tape to cover the openings. Nothing fancy or expensive, just a DIY garage Band-Aid to put my mind at ease. LOL

Hi Connie,

Well, it would be hard to ask anyone posting on the internet to be more straightforward about this situation. Well played, Wader. :)

Steve