• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FJR1300 Recall

This is a serious recall - little surprised the volume is only ~ 2,300 machines. Bad batch of gears / conjecture only...

So the recall states that second gear could break and lock up the rear wheel but they are not fixing second gear.. instead they are doing this:

"Yamaha dealers will inspect and reprogram the ECU, and also replace the main axle and drive axle assemblies, free of charge".

ECU?? lol... What is that going to do to help the second gear? Less power in second??

They are replacing the drive? What does that have to do with it? Wait till the first person locks up second gear and is killed or severely injured.

I read there have been no 2nd gear issues or accidents at this time, so this is a precautionary step. Glad mine is an 08.

Gents
I am glad I don't have a machine under this recall.
1. I don't think I could ride it.
2 I don't think I could sell it with a clear conscience.
Having a rear wheel lock up at the wrong time could easily lead to a fatality IMHO.
Ride Safe in 2021
Nick 2014 C-14

Unfortunately I own a 2016 6 speed which will probably be recalled. The way I understand it is Yamaha is replacing both gear shafts in the transmission. The engine must be removed from frame and cases split in order to do the work. And also some kind of ecu reprogramming is involved.
Its a bummer, not real happy about the situation but I love the bike. I'm not afraid to ride it and will continue to do so until I get the official notice. I'll get the work done when I can get it in, but I'll research my dealer network here in Arizona to make sure of the mechanic that will be doing the work. Mark

I gotta laugh at this one. I bought a used 84 FJ1100 in 87 that was a terrific bike, but I learned it liked to eat 2nd gear about every 2000 to 2500 miles. I tore that thing apart twice and replaced gears, shift forks, and drum each time. But the first time it popped out of gear after the 2nd full trany repair it went up for sale. I was not going to spend another weekend disassembling, rebuilding and rebuilding what was clearly a poor designed tranny.

Looks like things have not changed all that much and they still don't have it right. LMAO I have a buddy that has a 08 FJR1300 that he has basically parked 4 or 5 years ago that he just told me to come get. That was in the Fall and I still haven't gone to get that free bike. Must be some psychological thing going on, or the memories of the busted knuckles and sore muscles in the back of my mind. Or it could be the Yamaha generator with the rough running 11 HP motor I got rid of last year, or the possessed Yamaha 350 quad that I currently have that hates everyone - including the dealer - none of us can get that thing to idle properly or run well when it is tuned to idle.

I like Yamaha's I swear I do, they just don't like me too much.....

Last edited:
I'm on the FJR Forum and those guys don't seem to be real concerned about this. One things for sure though they like bashing the Concours over there. Ha At least mine isn't trying to kill me.
Nick
2014 C-14

I'm on the FJR Forum and those guys don't seem to be real concerned about this. One things for sure though they like bashing the Concours over there. Ha At least mine isn't trying to kill me.
Nick
2014 C-14
I've ridden all the various late-model sport tourers, beginning with Aprilia's Tuono. BMW K-bikes of 1200, 1300 and 1600cc, various STs (which WILL get you in trouble at high speeds), the FJRs...etc.

There's a reason why I bought two C14s and will probably buy a 3rd-gen version, just to have a complete set. Other than consumables like TPMS /fob batteries and tires, they haven't needed anything in the way of maintenance apart from the standard fluid and filter changes, valve inspections, etc.

A number of people I know (and the assorted cycle rags) complained about the cockpit heat of the 08-09 models. My '08 usually doesn't get ridden in temps over 70F; when it's 10 degrees out (BTDT many times) you'll appreciate that warm cockpit.

I've ridden all the various late-model sport tourers, beginning with Aprilia's Tuono. BMW K-bikes of 1200, 1300 and 1600cc, various STs (which WILL get you in trouble at high speeds), the FJRs...etc.

There's a reason why I bought two C14s and will probably buy a 3rd-gen version, just to have a complete set. Other than consumables like TPMS /fob batteries and tires, they haven't needed anything in the way of maintenance apart from the standard fluid and filter changes, valve inspections, etc.

A number of people I know (and the assorted cycle rags) complained about the cockpit heat of the 08-09 models. My '08 usually doesn't get ridden in temps over 70F; when it's 10 degrees out (BTDT many times) you'll appreciate that warm cockpit.

You know, that's a brilliant insight. If my 2011 was warmer in the cooler months I could comfortably ride to work in November. The snow starts to fly on the mountain in early to mid November, but no accumulations until later in the month so I could still ride if it was not so cold. Now down in the desert where I live it is about 20 degrees warmer most of the time so my 2011 is just fine in early November for the first part of the commute and the last quarter of it coming home. But up on the mountain, yeah its a bit tough to do because I don't want to wear a full riding suit. I normally arrive and go straight into meetings. No time to change nor do I want to be all "rumpled" up by the gear over my clothes. Helmet hair is as far as I am willing to go! :ROFLMAO: