• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

For you 17in wheel runners out there...?

starwars1138

TL:DR - Got any advice on tire choices for a C10 with 17inch wheels? I don't even know where to start.

I have a deal pending on a late model C10 with the 17 inch wheel conversion already done. I'd like to be ready to pull the trigger on some new rubber for her once she arrives (waiting till the tires are bare before ordering new ones sure does have an impact on how much riding you get to do before the new tires arrive... ask me how I know!).

I had a 97 C10 a decade ago and since then I've forgotten most of what I knew about tires then. I recall folks running Michelin Pilot GTs (that was what I put on before I sold the bike) as well as Avons (I ran through a few sets of those too). Pilots lasted longer but weren't as grippy and the Avons were solid but didn't last long. That's all I recall.

I understand that with 17inch wheels, I have a new world open to me - which puts me into analysis paralysis. It was much easier to choose when options were limited. As far as what type riding I do - I tend to lean more towards the Blue Ridge Parkway without traffic rather than Deals Gap. I live in GA and ride 12 months out of the year. Plan on doing some long distance stuff and some camping (I ride solo but will need to carry gear). I'm a delicate flower, weighing in just shy of 300lbs.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can point me!

I have been using Mich PR4GT. The GT is for a heavier bikes such as ours. The do have a PR5GT that is the newest model, but as long as the build code of the PR4GT gives me at least a year and a half, I'm happy. Grip is good, wet or dry, no complaints.
I am going to need a new rear before the end of the end of the summer and I will go with another PR4GT.
Tried Avons and wasnt happy with the treadlife and wear pattern.
THere are less expensive brands out there and I am sure some will post their favorites.

I have been using Mich PR4GT. The GT is for a heavier bikes such as ours. The do have a PR5GT that is the newest model, but as long as the build code of the PR4GT gives me at least a year and a half, I'm happy. Grip is good, wet or dry, no complaints.
I am going to need a new rear before the end of the end of the summer and I will go with another PR4GT.
Tried Avons and wasnt happy with the treadlife and wear pattern.
THere are less expensive brands out there and I am sure some will post their favorites.
Thanks Bob. What kind of wear are you seeing out of the PR4GT?

Starwars, I don't have the 17" wheels but I understand that there is a decision to make on tire size.
** The OD of the tire diameter is smaller than stock if you use X series, and X width.
** But, it is slightly larger if you use Y series, and Y width.
I don't know those series or widths, but that is what I recall.
Hopefully someone with 17's can clue you in on what size to purchase.

Ride safe, Ted

The PR4GT only comes in 170/60, other tires may come in the other size that fits,160/70. The later is a little taller and narrower. I have a zzr1200 shock and with the 170/60 the bike height maybe a 1/2 lower than stock judging by my sidestand attitude.

That's the sizes I was looking for. Thanx.
NOTE: Wasn't mentioning them for seat height.
The difference in diameter effects the torque, and RPM's at speed.
The smaller tire will offer a bit more torque than stock and more RPM's at "X" speed.
The taller will offer less torque, and less RPM's at the same "X" speed.

Not a huge deal, but a cross country rider might prefer the taller tire.

Ride safe, Ted

I'm in Western NC by the SC border. I just put Dunlop Roadsmart III's on my '00 front and rear.
With the M/S rear. Have about 1000 miles on them and love them. Did a 450 ride on the BRP from Asheville NC to Fancy Gap VA and back and was able to take corners at 50-60 comfortably where they use to be 30-40.
Granted I just replaced my steering head bearing and rebuilt the forks with Racetech 0.91 springs and emulators, so those could also be factors🤔🙄
Overall impressed with the tires and the reviews of mileage