• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork Brace after lowering?

croach1776

Tonto
Need thoughts on adding fork brace after lowering Connie. Front was only lowered about a quarter of an inch. Anyone who has added fork brace has it noticeably inproved ride and handling. Thx in advance

Comment

If your not an aggressive rider, you will not notice the difference.
If you are an aggressive rider, it will feel a bit more stable/planted in the turns.

NOTE: If you buy one, you "must" buy one that is made to fit the year of your bike.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
If your not an aggressive rider, you will not notice the difference.
If you are an aggressive rider, it will feel a bit more stable/planted in the turns.

NOTE: If you buy one, you "must" buy one that is made to fit the year of your bike.

Ride safe, Ted
Would it help if your loaded both the side trunks and a top box. Ya I dont consider myself a very aggressive rider. Thx

If you have a used/deal somewhere, do it. Doesn't hurt.
But, I don't think you would notice much difference.
If you want to do it, and get the best, contact Murph.

Ride safe, Ted

To do it right you should fit the brace to the forks. Before you start check if you have an striction.
Bounce the front end up and down a few times, note where the forks settle on the upper fork tubes.
You would like it to stop at the same height each time. Then add the fork brace and bounce again.
Once again you would like it to stop at the same height or close to the same height. If not the
brace needs shimming on ether the inside of the brace or outside of the brace cap.

Shiming is a PIA! On my 87 C10 was any way.

Tube tops and/or brace are not perfectly round at contact points. Figuring where to shim is problematic.
Instructions are simple. Application is not however. That was on a KB brace made for the early model application.

My brace was too tight at one spot and needed to be have tube top relieved via sandpaper.

Yes to more planted in turns!

Need thoughts on adding fork brace after lowering Connie. Front was only lowered about a quarter of an inch. Anyone who has added fork brace has it noticeably inproved ride and handling. Thx in advance

Comment

I took mine off and went for a ride just to see if it was different . I noticed the difference . Didn't feel bad but definately different . My bike is an 87 and I hear the early model braces are hard to find now .

Attachments

• 20210307_172630_(1)_(1).jpg
    20210307_172630_(1)_(1).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 133
Thanks for the input. When I find one for reasonable price will pull the trigger but need to know what it involves and if its worth the effort.

As these bikes have been around a few years, some aren't sporting the forks they left the factory with.