• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork Maint?

JerBear

I'm changing my fork seals and dust boots. I got to the end of the process after installing the seal and spring clip, dust boot. filled the oil to 101MM followed the service manual and for some reason after it is all put together I can't adjust the top rebound adjustment. I measured the 13mm at the bottom of the top plug and the damper adjustment knob moved freely then. I also adjusted the jam nut to 12mmon the top of the piston rod before installing the top plug. Anyone know what i should undo or redo to get the knob free on the top for damping adjustment? It won't turn either way but i expected it to be able to turn counter clockwise.

Jerry,
If I am reading this right. You measured both the adjuster and rod jamnut for full open rebound, per the manual. You should expect to turn the knob CW, to maximum dampening(12-14 clicks), but no CCW rotation. I have done several of these forks, and never had the issue your are experiencing

Last edited:
I'm changing my fork seals and dust boots. I got to the end of the process after installing the seal and spring clip, dust boot. filled the oil to 101MM followed the service manual and for some reason after it is all put together I can't adjust the top rebound adjustment. I measured the 13mm at the bottom of the top plug and the damper adjustment knob moved freely then. I also adjusted the jam nut to 12mmon the top of the piston rod before installing the top plug. Anyone know what i should undo or redo to get the knob free on the top for damping adjustment? It won't turn either way but i expected it to be able to turn counter clockwise.
Hey Jerry, the only thing I think of is it seems you have to make sure the adjusters are fully turned out "before" you re-install them??? otherwise when you tighten things down you bind them so the little knob wont turn by hand...

Jerry, it sounds like you have things adjusted right. They should only turn counter clockwise at this point. Mine was a little reluctant to turn at first but with a little more finger torque it did turn. Don't try to force anything with pliers.

I tore it apart and checked, the measurements were correct. Reassembled it and now it works šŸ¤”

Jerry,
If I am reading this right. You measured both the adjuster and rod jamnut for full open rebound, per the manual. You should expect to turn the knob CW, to maximum dampening(12-14 clicks), but no CCW rotation. I have done several of these forks, and never had the issue your are experiencing
FWIW Kim I got them working but from the manual directions it only turned counter-clockwise. Itā€™s funny how our memories will do that to us as we get older šŸ˜‚