• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork oil change and perceived improvement in ride

sfsokc

I have a 2011 with about 35K.  So I've gone back & forth a few times on 1) purchasing a new suspension, and 2) doing the fork oil change.  Obviously, completely different questions, but ultimately I decided #1 is way too expensive (personal value proposition), and #2 looks like a PITA.  Never changed the oil before, and I've noticed my ride getting a bit harsh lately. Without going into the whole "it's a good idea to do" (yes I know), what I'd really like to know is if it will make a significant and PERCEPTIBLE improvement in ride quality?  I should mention that I bought the bike new, always garaged, ridden very little in dusty/rainy/dirty conditions, so I doubt the oil could be that dirty.

Thank you!

I'm curious as well.  My suspension seems to be fine.  If there's a difference, I can't tell it.

And I've never changed even the shocks on any of my cars.  Most of the cars I have owned, have lasted 16-18 years, so it isn't like I swap cars every 2-3 years.

Chris

Well you guys obviously never 'jump' your cars or bikes often enough to find out how crappy the stock suspension can be after a while...

so I doubt the oil could be that dirty.

After 35,000 miles - its dirty.  It will come out black and runny.

I've always been able to tell a nice difference with fresh fork oil change in any of my bikes.

It won't turn you into Valentino Rossi though . . . . .

Stasch,,, that's ok.  :great:
  I already "think" I ride like Valentino Rossi...  :motonoises:    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Ted I think your good for about 2 and a half ROSSIs.  Something to be said about quantity?

The fork oil will definitely be "dirty" in spite of your avoidance of dusty/rainydirty situations.

The dirt is suspended particles that have worn from your bushings, fork sliders and perhaps even the fork tubes themselves.

The longer you go between fork oil changes the less effective job it does at preventing that wear and it also loses its designed damping characteristics.

Fork oil change isn't hard if you have the proper tools. You can buy those tools from Traxxion and do the job yourself for less than $100, you can also upgrade the fork springs while you're in there for another $120. I splurged on the full boat Traxxion AK20 kit and Penske shock and it transformed the bike.  :13:

What tools are needed from them besides the spring compressor?  I wouldnt mind trying out new springs.Not sure about the whole works though  ;)

Turtle said:
Fork oil change isn't hard if you have the proper tools. You can buy those tools from Traxxion and do the job yourself for less than $100, you can also upgrade the fork springs while you're in there for another $120. I splurged on the full boat Traxxion AK20 kit and Penske shock and it transformed the bike.  :13:

The kit from traxx comes with the spring compression tools , theres a set of adapters that i didnt use and a fork oil measuring syringe.  Pretty certain i ordered the universal kit.... check them out on line..

I will look again. I seen a set for wings. Also seen the fork level tool. Thanks
Wayne

konehead said:
The kit from traxx comes with the spring compression tools , theres a set of adapters that i didnt use and a fork oil measuring syringe.  Pretty certain i ordered the universal kit.... check them out on line..

My bike only had 12k on it when i bought it and the fork springs tested over 20% off by rate. New 1.20kg springs, seals and fluid made a dramatic difference. Those springs at 35k are almost definitely sacked out and harsh. So basically anything you do should feel a lot better.

Thanks to everyone that responded!  I think y'all have talked me into doing the job at least....