• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork removal (2014 C14)

Throttle 8

Quick question about fork removal for those who have done it before. I have developed a slight weep in my clutch side fork, and am going to take them both out to have the seals replaced. The shop manual states that as well as loosening the top clamp bolt and the 2 bottom clap bolts; that I should remove the handlebar holder as well. Is this necessary? Also it says to remove the upper inner fairing panels, is also necessary?. I will be taking the forks to a good shop to have the actual work done so I am not going to loosen the top fork plug unless told otherwise.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

You are correct in all you're assessments. It does help to remove some of the plastic up underneath, to gain good access to the lower pinch bolts. But I've done it both ways.

Before you remove the forks, have you tried one of these?
Worked for me.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted! I have never heard of this before. I will give it a shot.

I used the RISK RACING 35-45mm with good success. I had trouble getting the Sealmate around the backside of the forks. FD2557C2-A96C-4E15-92A6-3CDEC573DB46.jpegE70344D3-A6C2-46D6-8038-2496962AA8B5.jpeg

I be the one... what does this device do....hmfg?

It pulls whatever grit/trash is between the seal & tube out to slow or prevent leaking. You do have to pop the dust seal loose & slide it down out of the way but that's no big deal. Often it will start back, it seems to be a temporary fix. 35mm film works well also as does other thin plastic cut to shape.

Served as a temporary fix on my V-Strom while in Alaska but getting home with no more leaking was good enough.

Last edited:
You snap it around the fork tube after pulling the dust seal up. Twist it in between the seal & tube as you rotate it, then up & out. It cost a little more, but it’s kept the left fork dry for 5k miles🤞🏻I also put some fork covers on.
I didn’t have much luck with the Seal Mate.

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered the seal mate and will give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I will just go back to plan A and pull the tubes.
How much fluid did you guys loose when you did it?

Be careful, i had a tough time getting the inside of the fork seal cleaned out w/seal mate. The snap around one did the trick.
I have no idea on fluid loss.

When the forks are compressed, the air in the shocks is compressed. I elevated the front wheel so that there was less pressure trying to push the oil out. Lost very little oil.

You can make one of these out of a milk jug or water bottle too. The idea is to gently/firmly push the tool under the seal, and then sweep the trash out.
Or the seal mate can be cut smaller to make it easier to use.

Be careful, i had a tough time getting the inside of the fork seal cleaned out w/seal mate. The snap around one did the trick.
I have no idea on fluid loss.
I just order a Risk Racing after watching some You Tube videos. The Seal Mate was only $8 so no big deal. Fluid loss appeared minimal in all the videos.
Thanks for the help guys---you all rock. I will give an update in a couple weeks.

I recently replaced the oil seals on the forks of my 09 c14. Removing the inner plastic and handlebars made access much easier and only took a few minutes. The seal cleaners look interesting; however, the suspension fluid gets old and should be changed regularly. The suspension guru Dave Moss advocates changing fluid every 6 - 8 thousand miles. Since one must pull the forks for the fluid change…. might as well put in a $35 set of oil seals at least every other time. Fred Harmon has good instructions on how to do it in his C14 video series.

I recently replaced the oil seals on the forks of my 09 c14. Removing the inner plastic and handlebars made access much easier and only took a few minutes. The seal cleaners look interesting; however, the suspension fluid gets old and should be changed regularly. The suspension guru Dave Moss advocates changing fluid every 6 - 8 thousand miles. Since one must pull the forks for the fluid change…. might as well put in a $35 set of oil seals at least every other time. Fred Harmon has good instructions on how to do it in his C14 video series.
Wow. Every 8K? This seems overkill but what do I know. Is anyone here changing fluid this often? I know I need to change mine as it's still the original fluid (09 with 38K). Any fluid and seal recommendations? I'm 170lbs and tour solo with about 100lbs of gear. Thanks, Justin

Wow. Every 8K? This seems overkill but what do I know. Is anyone here changing fluid this often? I know I need to change mine as it's still the original fluid (09 with 38K). Any fluid and seal recommendations? I'm 170lbs and tour solo with about 100lbs of gear. Thanks, Justin
I suggest to go with OEM seals through one of the Kawasaki parts resources. Don't forget to get dust seals if available. I ordered a set that was "like OEM" and did not fit correctly. I used Fred Harmon's recommendation and used Honda suspension fluid as shown in the snap. Be cautious about fork oil as it may not be appropriate for cartridge style forks (upside down) used in the C14. Traxion Dynamics has a nice tool kit also used by Fred in his video. It can be a bit cumbersome at first... but with patience it tends to work quite well. Don't forget to pick up a fork seal driver.

Link: https://traxxion.com/product/fork-service-tool-kit/

Suspension Fluid: 1662556290605.png

I've bought a lot of parts from partzilla. They don't charge full MSRP. You can also talk to a real human if you care to.