• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork Seal Fun!

rlievenski4555

I noticed my left side fork weeping oil when I washed my bike about a week and a half ago. Thanks to Fred’s excellent DVD set, I ordered the fork tool kit and OEM oil seals from Traxxion Dynamics. The tough part is finding dust seals. One Kawasaki dealer near me had one in stock and found no others anywhere else within driving distance. He said they have more ordered but have been on back order for a while. Likely no chance of getting one from any of the parts warehouses. I ended up finding an oil and dust seal pair on Amazon…. But realized today that the dust seals are about 3mm thicker than OEM and wont stay put. Luckily the current dust seals are in great shape and are useable. Hope to have the wheel on and everything torqued down in the morning. I need to get out and enjoy these beautiful sunny days!

Attachments

• 26CEB85E-E5BD-42B9-B704-9169D02DBE73.jpeg
    26CEB85E-E5BD-42B9-B704-9169D02DBE73.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 118
  • D45CDD2D-5E10-4E7A-909F-40CF55341843.jpeg
    D45CDD2D-5E10-4E7A-909F-40CF55341843.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 8B442FBF-6C1E-4930-A337-AE5147888413.jpeg
    8B442FBF-6C1E-4930-A337-AE5147888413.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 117
I used a kit from AllBalls. Came with oil and dust seals. 30k miles worked great. If you’re a paying member, there’s a set of tools floating around somewhere. Send a message to OldManOnAConnie (Mark Hartman) to get them. It’s got everything you need to take apart the fork, and I still new seals. Even the split ring install tool that I threw in there.

I used a kit from AllBalls. Came with oil and dust seals. 30k miles worked great. If you’re a paying member, there’s a set of tools floating around somewhere. Send a message to OldManOnAConnie (Mark Hartman) to get them. It’s got everything you need to take apart the fork, and I still new seals. Even the split ring install tool that I threw in there.
I buttoned her up shortly after the post and road tested on a 900 mile ride around Lake Michigan. Forks feel great and tight as a drum when it comes to suspension fluid! Should be good for a few years to come.

Following 😁