• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fossil/Shaniko Ride - Spring Break

Gumby

Anybody interested in riding around Eastern Oregon for Spring Break with me? Let's work out some details for a day ride/weekend ride/A RIDE!

Weekend of March 23-25

Sound Rider did a good write up on the Fossil - Shaniko ride.

MAP

gsun said:
Are you up for weather dependent?
Weather could be a factor, especially for getting over the pass. May have to push, but I want to gauge interest. :beerchug:

I may be in. A bit early in the year, but what the hey! Layer up.

I'm a maybe too, weather dependent! I've done many rides there and love that area. But that weekend is my only opening so hoping weather does work out for that timeframe.

Weather some time off and a place to stay as the ride to a starting point is most likely a good jaunt for me. I would love to see some more Northwest events right now the only thing on the calendar is the Bun Cooler.

That sounds awesome, hopefully the weather will cooperate.  I also really like that section from Fossil to Spray to Kimberly as well.  I'll put this on my calendar!

Gonna have to push this ride. Not a big fan of leaving for a trip in the rain. :??:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/97124:4:US

Stay tuned...

I rode that general area a week or so ago (March 11th).  Hood River>The Dalles>Maupin>Shaniko(via Bakeoven)>Antelope>Fossil>Condon and return.

Bakeoven was littered with gravel
Shaniko to Antelop was also littered with gravel
The rest of the ride was pretty clean

There were more OSP out and handing out awards than I've seen in years.  I ride that route about 3-4 times every summer and never see more than 1 officer.  There must have been 4-5 I saw.  Guess they are getting spring fever too.

Seems the weather wouldn't have cooperated in most areas if we chose this weekend...

As for the gravel, maybe it's because of the weather? Does the area get a fair amount of ice/snow? Hopefully it's cleaned up come spring & summer.  Glad we haven't had time to venture out there if OSP were trying to make their quotas. Guess they don't have enough tourists to pick on yet.