• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fred's Birthday ride in Arkansas

rbentdude

Now that the National is over we can start thinking about the "Arkansas Regional Ride at Jack's Resort" ride that is unofficially "Fred's Birthday Ride". Hopefully the summer time heat will be a distant memory and we can get reacquainted with the Arkansas roads. I am thinking about cooking out burgers and hot dogs Saturday night but I am open to suggestions. ;D

Reservations were made months back and we will be there. ;D

I can help out with cooking on Saturday night.

Pamela and I are leaving Thursday morning from Mesquite and will likely blast up the slab.

The ride to Coopers next Saturday is a good tune up for Jacks...HINT HINT :motonoises:

Craig

Im all booked up.  I might have even registered.  Not sure yet if I am going to make Coopers.

Great Craig I could probably use some help. I think we are going up Thursday also but I will  probably have to trailer up. I don't think I can fit my grill on my C-14. :-[

Butch, we are not worth trailering up just to make us burgers.  I bet the venue has a grill or two anyway.  Shoot I would make us eat fish or pizza before I would mis a chance to ride up there.  I know you have been there a time or two more then I though.

Butch,

There are several grills in front of the low number units on the north side of the main wing. We just need to make a run to pick the stuff up Saturday afternoon.

Craig

Yes I know they said there would be grills but I was concerned that they might not be suitable, for our refined tastes that is. Anyway Robert Cecil who lives in Vilonia, Ar has volunteered to bring his grill to the party so maybe I can ride up after all.
Craig I thought I would be able to make your ride to eat in Llano but my wife is insisting that we go to our cabin in Arkansas this weekend. Just because it has been a month since we have been there and my grass is probably  high enough to hide my dog. It was for a good cause (National, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore).

BigJoeVA68 said:
I am working on making this trip again... ;D

Come on over Joe!!!!!!!!! Let's go tear up Push Mountain Road again......Craig

BigJoeVA68 said:
I am working on making this trip again... ;D
You hot dawg, you.  Wish I could come.  But the National put me home fer a spell.  You have a good un.  Need to borrow a bike?  :great:
I could send it with Ted if he's coming.  It's currently in Randy's shop in Kerr-patch.

Rev Ryder said:
You hot dawg, you.  Wish I could come.  But the National put me home fer a spell.  You have a good un.  Need to borrow a bike?  :great:
I could send it with Ted if he's coming.  It's currently in Randy's shop in Kerr-patch.

Oh, you should definitely come. I'm worth it. ;D

I still have the V for now. Probably going to sell it after this trip. Still got my eye on a C14 eventually...

Weather will determine if I bike or cage. I will be on business in Tennessee until that Thursday...if the weather cooperates, I may take the bike for that and leave direct. Not sure yet, still in the planning stages.

Kevin said:
Would it be ok if I rode up Saturday just to visit and ride for the day?

Sure it would, but unless you get there early everybody will be out riding already. Where are you coming from?

Cliff  :beerchug:

Reservations made. She said it is getting crowded, that is a good sign!  :beerchug:

Still don't know if caging or biking...but I will be their regardless.  :great:

Good News! Looks like after the big Western CONUS trough moves through the southern plans and ARKLATEX this weekend and early next week, Big ridge settles in over SC COG area with drier air and cool temps in NC AR.

Perhaps low 40's and high 60's with sunny skies for the ride with  dry riding for SC riders.  ;D  :campfire:  :Woot_Emoticon:

Looks like we are going to catch a break on the weather and I hope the colors are as good this year as last!

Just need to keep an eye out for deer......... :violent-smiley-007:

Craig

The NewGuy WILL BE THERE!!!  >:D Lookin forward to meeting some fellow Coggers. I've already ridden a front and now a rear tire off...getting the rear ordered as we speak.

EDIT: Room Booked! It's official :nananana:

It will probably add two or three hours to the trip vs. the slab, but I'm thinking of routing through the Talimena Scenic Drive (OK.)/Skyline Drive (AR.)
on Thursday from the DFW area.  Some of you must have been that way before, what did you think of it?  Good idea?: Bad idea? Looks good to me on Google street views.
With stops for gas and food should be a 10-10.5 hour trip. So if I leave Fort Worth at 5 AM should be OK, I think. Sunset at Jacks around 6:23 PM.

talimena-scenic-byway-talihina-af.jpg

Route Map

fartymarty said:
It will probably add two or three hours to the trip vs. the slab, but I'm thinking of routing through the Talimena Scenic Drive (OK.)/Skyline Drive (AR.)
on Thursday from the DFW area.  Some of you must have been that way before, what did you think of it?  Good idea?: Bad idea? Looks good to me on Google street views.
With stops for gas and food should be a 10-10.5 hour trip. So if I leave Fort Worth at 5 AM should be OK, I think. Sunset at Jacks around 6:23 PM.

talimena-scenic-byway-talihina-af.jpg

Route Map

That is s decent route but you can also take AR 88 out of Mena to AR 27and follow it up through Russellville to AR 74, then AR 66 into Mountain View. That road is rural except for Russellville and really nice, but it might take a little longer.

Craig

kv5e said:
That is s decent route but you can also take AR 88 out of Mena to AR 27and follow it up through Russellville to AR 74, then AR 66 into Mountain View. That road is rural except for Russellville and really nice, but it might take a little longer.

Revised Route Like this?....Might take another hour, but why not, I think I'll have the time. That's one of the things I like about a GPS, I can put the route in it, but if I get tired or delayed I can always just bypass it for the most direct/fastest route.

Thanks Craig!

That's it! Rode that last year from Mt. View and it was a great scenic ride with some nice sweepers and twisties. :motonoises:

I'm slabbing as Pamela "Just wants to get there!".

Craig

I made pass thru Jack's today to check out the grill situation, there looked to be nearly a dozen scattered around. The few I looked at were plenty good for cooking burger's. I can see no reason for anyone to have to haul a grill up there.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just called to reconfirm reservations  ;D

Weather still looks great with seasonal temps only a small chance for a little rain on Saturday.

10275131144_2062c599d1.jpg

Ready for some Push Mountain Road?!!!!??!!?!!?!

Craig

:great:Thanks for the update on the grills Cliff, I have been worrying about it. Of course all of you health food guys want soybean burgers, right.

Ask Leslie why we almost didn't come because of the weather report.  In her report it was highs below 40 and rain all weekend.  Ak., Ar.  Whats the difference.  :))

smithr1 said:
Ask Leslie why we almost didn't come because of the weather report.  In her report it was highs below 40 and rain all weekend.  Ak., Ar.  Whats the difference.  :))

:rotflmao:      I like Leslie and I don't want to draw back a stump! :pokestick:

Glad to hear you are coming Bob!  :great:

Craig

Sorry to hear you two are not able to make it.  :sorry:

Maybe you can join in on the 2 NOV 13 DFW ride to the Shed and a possible next DFW ride could be FM4 or Muenster for some German Food.

Craig

Just rolled in to Mt. View, weather is amazing. Going to hit Blanchard Springs Cavern. Anyone else coming early? Dinner company always appreciated!  :great:

Due to work and past furloughs I'll to ride up Saturday early morning and try to catch up with everyone at Jacks.  If I miss the group I'll make my favorite loop to 16 through Shirley and back to Jacksonville.

10336291746_36633e50cb_z.jpg

About 10 or 12 COGGERS here....on our back porch now.

It doesn't get any better than this!

Craig

80% chance of rain and a high of 62*, I think I'm going to have to try another time to meet some of you nice folks.  Makes me feel like a sissy but I don't want to get sick either.  I really hope the weather holds out and you all have a great time riding the roads here in Arkansas.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let me be the first to comment on the AWESOME time we had at Fred's Birthday!! It may have been his birthday but we got the presents:

Great weather for the ride to there, then it rained that night. The next day started out cloudy and cool but was GORGEOUS mid-way thru.

Awesome ride on Saturday. Our group was led by George on his FJR. We had a larger group than usual, (I think we had 7 all together), but what a blast! Competent riders on capable machines tearing through some of the best motorcycle roads to be found!

The the cookout and bonfire where many tall tales were spun.  :beerchug:

Couldn't have asked for a better inaugural event, and I look forward to many more. It was great to meet Scott, George, Jerry (in his rubber romper suit), Clinton, Fred, Dan, Mo...you get the picture!

If I left out your name, remind me!

Anyway, thanks for a great weekend, and if you missed...YOU MISSED IT!  :nananana:

+1
The New Guy nailed it.  Good roads, great company.  :great:

Last year I was the fng and was fortunate enough to meet up with George and his band of merry riders.  This year had some different faces but the riding was still swift and the yarns were just as big.  And funny!. 

Favorite quote:  "Sometimes you just gotta turn that pig!"  -Jerry

Many thanks to Bob and company for organizing such a well done and fun event.

I'm still out on the road. Currently in St Louis enjoying cool temps and beautiful color changes. Have had an excellent trip so far.

spadge2020 said:
Many thanks to Bob and company for organizing such a well done and fun event.

Just to be clear...  Butch hosted, Fred and others helped out.  This Bob just ate and rode. :)

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I'm still out on the road. Currently in St Louis enjoying cool temps and beautiful color changes. Have had an excellent trip so far.

Excellent! A birthday bash that just keeps going.  :great:

Oh, I don't think I ever said it while I was there, "belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRED! :happybirthday3:"

fartymarty said:
Fred_Harmon_TX said:

Excellent! A birthday bash that just keeps going.  :great:

Oh, I don't think I ever said it while I was there, "belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRED! :happybirthday3:"

Thanks. Just got home yesterday. Had a great trip! We'll do it again next year.

Here are some more pictures.

Butch Youngblood our event host.  He is the one that put it together this year.
e669df42-4a31-49aa-a243-938df34c817a_zpsca066b5f.jpg

The Grill team, Butch (center), Doug Meister (right), and I think the butt is Martin Cobb, otherwise known as fartimarty.
IMG_0660_zpsda2e1b6b.jpg

Folks just waiting for the burgers and dogs to get done.
IMG_0661_zpsd65bcf5e.jpg

fred-houston said:
....and I think the butt is Martin Cobb

:rotflmao:  :nananana: Unfortunately, others have thought that as well. I just wish that the other times I was referred to as this had been in the same context.
Especially the times that they came from my wife.  ;)

BTW fred-H', nice skull 'n' crossbones ya did there on that L-plate.  :great: If only Butch had worn a doo rag for that photo.  All those sliced onions right under his nose and not a teardrop, the man is tough!

Necron99 said:
Looks like a great time!  So bummed I couldn't break away....
Missed ya, and D'roo too.

fartymarty said:
fred-houston said:
....and I think the butt is Martin Cobb

:rotflmao:  :nananana: Unfortunately, others have thought that as well. I just wish that the other times I was referred to as this had been in the same context.
Especially the times that they came from my wife.  ;)

BTW fred-H', nice skull 'n' crossbones ya did there on that L-plate.  :great: If only Butch had worn a doo rag for that photo.  All those sliced onions right under his nose and not a teardrop, the man is tough!

Necron99 said:
Looks like a great time!  So bummed I couldn't break away....
Missed ya, and D'roo too.

Wrong Fred.  Fred B. is the one to blame for that.    :nananana:

fred-houston said:
fartymarty said:
BTW fred-H', nice skull 'n' crossbones ya did there on that L-plate.  :great:

Wrong Fred.  Fred B. is the one to blame for that.    :nananana:
Well, I was going by screen names, notice that I used a dash instead of an underscore before the H and a lower case f???
I may be a butt  :)) , but I try not to blame the innocent. I think I have the right fred' to blame.... >:D :)

WOW!

Fantastic Photos!

Another great COG event I couldn't make due to work commitments..Come on Retirement!!!!!!

I need to make a countdown clock for that..