• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

French GP - Spoiler

Hogboy

Street Cruiser
Interesting stuff happening in MotoGP this year.

- MM seems to be a big step above even the other aliens which I don't think too many expected 2 years ago.  It seems more than possible that he will beat Agostini's 8-straight wins record which is saying something when you consider Ago had his 4-cyclinder MV and was going against Norton Manx's, etc.

- Pedrosa seems like history and will be dropped by Honda next year as I think I read somewhere.  Tiny rider who never quite grabbed the crown.

- Rossi is back and seemingly riding better than Lorenzo which I didn't think was possible.  Not sure but I think it's all in his head (or tires).

- the B guys are looking great this year and the new rules actually make for some decent racing.  Great stuff from Bautista, Bradl, Espargaro and Dovi!

- Crutchlow is where he should be I guess. Coulda had an A team ride if he was quieter - now I hear that the teams are looking at Moto2 for next year's MM challenger - sounds like they don't think any existing rider can keep near him.

(and one last thing - I see a listing on RDS (French TV) for tomorrow showing an unnamed bike race at 11:00 - elsewhere I see they have delayed rights to MotoGP - can it be?????)

Results of the French Grand Prix
Rossi Second, Lorenzo Sixth
by Coleman Francis
Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team Honda RC213V
2 Valentino Rossi Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha M1
3 Alvaro Bautista Go&Fun Honda Gresini Honda RC213V
4 Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha M1
5 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team Honda RC213V
6 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha M1
7 Stefan Bradl LCR Honda Honda RC213V
8 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team Ducati GP14
9 Aleix Espargaro NGM Mobile Forward Racing Forward Yamaha
10 Bradley Smith Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha M1
11 Cal Crutchlow Ducati Team Ducati GP14
12 Scott Redding Go&Fun Honda Gresini Honda RCV1000R
13 Yonny Hernandez Energy Ti Pramac Racing Ducati
14 Hiroshi Aoyama Drive M7 Aspar Honda RCV1000R
15 Karel Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing Honda RCV1000R
16 Michael Laverty Paul Bird Motorsport PBM
17 Colin Edwards NGM Mobile Forward Racing Forward Yamaha
18 Broc Parkes PBM PBM
19 Mike Di Meglio Avintia Racing Avintia

Margin of victory 1.8 seconds.

Nicky Hayden crashed out early in the race--unhurt.

Marquez was forced to make a 'water through the screen door' run through the pack after a mistake left him in tenth place on the opening laps. He sliced through the pack, passing ex-world champions like Lorenzo, Rossi, Pedrosa and Bradl quickly and seemingly easily.

This was Marquez' fifth race win in a row.

At this point it seems the only way MM is going to lose a race is if he gets hurt along the way.  It's GREAT to see Rossi back in the thick of things, and he was doing all he could to pull away from the group while MM was back in the pack, but you knew it was inevitable that he would be caught. 

The new rules are definitely making it more interesting, and that's good because it's quickly going to be boring to see the kid with a huge gap at the front of every race.  That said, he is truly an amazing rider.