• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Friend in an accident

funsize

A friend of Jorge's and mine was in an accident in North Carolina July 18th.  Her name is Becky and a driver was not paying attention and hit her and pinned her against the guard rail.  Her left shoulder blade, shoulder, clavicle and arm were shattered.  Several nerves were torn off.  Her pancreas.  She was lifeline to Knoxville.  Her kidneys started to go downhill and there is a blood clot forming where they patched her artery.  The doctors were deciding whether her arm had to be removed to save her life but were concerned if her kidneys could function. 

I received news yesterday that her arm up to her shoulder was removed.  She's still not out of the woods.  Please keep her family in your prayers.  She and her husband, Stan, have been avid riders and are wonderful people.

Irene

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she recovers quickly and the other driver had good insurance coverage.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Irene. I hope everybody is careful out there.

ConcoursKZ said:
Sad to hear this. The power of prayer is amazing.

I totally agree.  Her daughter let me know that Becky is recovering as well as can be expected.  She is a fighter.

Irene

This is so sad. Sounds like no gear short of a tank would have provided protection. I am sorry for you Irene to have such a front row seat. Only positive thoughts for her recovery

Sorry to hear this news. It is alarming and sad how fast a persons fortunes in life can change due to someone else's inattentiveness. Wishing her all the best in her recovery.

Hi Irene, so sorry to hear about your friend.  I hope she can fight through this and heal, both physically and emotionally.  Broken bones, bruises, etc. will heal, but when you lose a limb, especially due to someone else's ignorance, it is absolutely devastating.

Like many COG members, I have been riding since my teens, and have always been intrigued with our ability to put these devastating events out of our mind when it's kickstand up, and focus on the task at hand.  And then reality sinks in again when you hear a story like this.

Again, so sorry Irene. :'(

Sorry to hear about your friend Irene.  I hope she has the strength to make it through all of this and not give up on living life to the fullest.  Man that will be hard!  There is a guy in town that has been riding for years with one arm.  I've never asked just exactly how he does it, but missing an arm hasn't kept him from doing the things he loves like riding bikes and playing softball.  We're all pulling for her! 

A couple of years ago, I was returning home from Louisville, KY after a trip there to take mom to the dr.  I was on the Sherman Minton bridge, from Louisville to New Albany, IN.  I was in the far right lane so that I could exit into New Albany and get on highway 62, when some woman in a huge SUV decided she wanted my lane.  Of course she was on her phone and driving distracted.  I was lucky enough for her to realize that she was about to run me into the right side of the bridge.  Scared the crap out of me.  Cagers on the interstate scare me with their lack of attention.  I ride the interstate very little for this reason, besides the fact that interstates are only good for making it from point a to point b quickly.  If I do get on the interstate, I do my best to stay as far away from cars and trucks as possible.  A speeding ticket may be in my future because of my method to avoid being around cars and trucks.  Two lane roads are where it's at for me.

I really hope she recovers both mentally and physically!