• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front end "clunk" - '08ABS

Bagger John

Got an interesting one for the forum gurus:

Have had an '08 ABS model since 2010 when it had 6k on the clock; now at 22k. When I brake with the front brakes and go over road irregularities (coming to a stop, for instance) there's a slight clunk in the front end. It's been noticeable from day one of ownership.

Bike has been routinely put on the center stand along with a jack under the engine and steering head play checked. There is none, steering is light and not notchy. Been doing this since I owned the bike and no play ever observed.

I only hear the clunk when braking. Not when riding over bumps, rough pavement, etc. Interestingly, my '12ABS doesn't make the noise under braking.

ABS idiosyncrasy with that particular model or something else? The steering head hasn't been apart for servicing though that's on the future list along with a fork oil change.

I had the same issue for years on my '09. It was more annoying than anything else. I replaced the steering head bearings this past spring and now no more clunk. My bike has about 110,000 on it and I think they were the originals.

Just a guess but check those spring pads (Kawi P/N# 92145) that fit in behind the brake pads to keep them in place. Possible to have one of those out of position that might allow the pad to enough to move enough to make a slight clunk? Your description of the clunk does sound like a steering head bearing but you checked that and nothing. Make sure the caliper bolts are tightened to 25ft/lbs. Also, I've seen others have trouble with the hex head on these bolts rounding out (soft) so make sure the hex bit socket is in all the way.