• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

front fork seals

I did the work and parts came from partzilla. If those are not factory parts then that's where I failed.

DUMB A$$ said:
1702 miles on the new seals installed December 2018.

There it is........dry rot. šŸ˜„

Have you checked for anything that may have gotten under the seal?

Did you check for burrs or nicks on the fork tube when you did the job?

Just spent 270 on the 2nd set in a year. The first was was done for 100 by the guy that rents track bikes at my local track. This last job was done by an independentĀ  shop whose owner I have known for 30 years and has always done good for me. The left fork was a quarter inch longer than the right after the cheap job and I asked them to fix that. They found the cause was a stripped thread on the damper rod. I am now running Skock Soxs.
https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Sox-37-50mm-Fork-Black/dp/B0041CC4N4

You may just have some dried up bug guts, or dirt, that got stuck on the lip of the seal. I have these seal doctors from Risk Racing.Ā  They work great at cleaning dirt out of the oil and dust seals on the forks.Ā  The smaller 35-45mm fits tight to the C14 fork tube, the larger one 45-55 is loose, you have to squeeze it a bit to make it get under the seal...get the smaller one.

https://riskracing.com/pages/seal-doctor

A guy brings his snowmachine into the shop in Northern Canada for some work.
The Mechanic looks at it and says " I think you blew a seal"

The guys reply's, No, that's just a little frost on my mustache.

Sorry had too.

Nickrides said:

Sorry had too.

That one never get old!Ā  :rotflmao:

Enjoy the ride,

Jon

I now remember seeing the seal cleaner when I was researching the seal replacement and I will give it a go this weekend.Ā 

Did the cleaning trick today, drove to store and back. Now I wait and see.
Will drive longer when temps get out of 100.

DUMBA$$

So far so good. I dont have a wet spot under my fork anymore.I am moving from Ca. to ID. this friday and will eventually have to ride it there and that will be the true test.
DUMBA$$

Nickrides said:

Sorry had too.

:D :rotflmao: ;D That one never gets old!Ā  ;D :rotflmao: :D

Jon