• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front Forks Service

weymouth7

Last month my riding group held an event where a guy who runs a motorcycle suspension shop performed a suspension clinic.  Once he completed the work on my 2014 with 34K miles, he stated the front forks needed servicing as they were reaching the limit of what the adjustments could do.  He suggested just the oil be serviced - for  $280.  First, is this a typical maintenance item I should expect, second is this a warranty item, and third is the price in the right ballpark?  BTW: Handling was much improved following the clinic.

Even though Kaw doesn’t spec a replacement interval for fork oil, I highly recommend a minimum interval of 20k miles for commuting, or 15k miles if you’re a hard rider. Price is about right to just change the oil. It’s fairly simply to just change the oil. Couple hours and a couple special tools is all it takes. If you’re a paying member, Old Man On a Connie owns a traveling set of tools for paid members. Send him a message to see where they’re at right now lol.

I had my fork seals replaced ealier this year by an independant mechanic for 175, including oil and seals.

I would not do oil only.  I did oil only at 45k and then they leaked at 55k.  I had to have seals and oil done on the road in Portland.  I think it was $550 but not sure. 

When I did the oil myself I bought the tools and figured it out but would have been simple to do the seals too while in there.(Kick Self Again)  I would have then but I did not know how bad it was to have inverted shocks leak.  It will get on your brakes fast.  I am use to being able to wipe off oil for a year till I get around to it.

mike said:
Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm going to plan for oil & seals.

personally I would just change oil.  34K, with no incidence of leakage (and frankly they shouldn't be leaking) does not warrant seals. That requires complete dis-assembly, and rebuild... at that mile point.. I have a hard time swallowing that service..
but...
if you are going full Monty, and insisting on doing the seals.... PLEASE buy the OEM seals, do not buy e-bay marketplace seals.. buy the OEM's.

I have no shoe in this, but every time I read about failed seal installs, both for C10, and C14... they went with E-Bay vendors, or non OEM.
It's your time, and money... the time, and tools.. well, decide based on your experience and expertise in doing it.
best of luck, ride safe.