• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front Tire Wear, Front Forks

ramrider

Training Wheels
With 5800 miles on the OEM B'Stone front on my 2 month old 2009 C14, I'll be lucky to get 7000 so I've got Michelin Pilot Road 2's on order. While checking the front forks, I noticed that two of the four "Front Forks Clamp Bolts (Lower)" were not tight and one of the two Front Forks Clamp Bolts (Upper)" was also not tight. The Periodic Maintenance Chart in the factory manual calls for checking "Bolts, nuts and fasteners tightness - inspect" so I'm putting the fork bolts at the top of the list. To re-torque the lower bolts with a torque wrench to factory spec., you'll have to remove the fairing but you can use a 10mm box wrench to check to see if the lower bolts are tight. After a 300 miles test ride, I think tightening the bolts has improved the handling, maybe it will help the tire last longer.

Fork clamp bolts not tight? Way dangerous. Scream at the dealer about poor set up. Pay nothing under warrenty. As for the stock tires nothing will help them except the trash bin. I went with Shinko 05s. Cost way less than other fitments and lasted 8000 on the rear. Ratio seems to be two rears to one front. Excellent tire! UP

Lower fork clamp bolts loose? I wish! Mine were so tight from the new that when I tried to raise the forks in the yokes by a couple of millimetres (advice per local Kawa mechanic and bike racer) I chewed the stupid 10mm bolt heads that were apparently made of solder and liquorice. New bolts from the hardware store have 13mm heads: much better. (BTW, I was kidding about wishing for loose bolts!)