• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front Wheel missing parts

kkja13

A month ago I took my front wheel off to get a new tire mounted. The day after I took the wheel off I contracted Covid. Needless to say I haven't felt much like putting the wheel back on until yesterday. I started working on it and realized that I'm missing the snap ring and the speedometer engagement cup. I always remove them before taking a wheel to the shop to be mounted. I must have put them some place safe (from me). I wandered around the garage for over an hour yesterday with no luck.
My son will be here in 2 days and we were gonna ride some day trips around the area.
Is there any downside to putting it back together and riding it without the snap ring and speedometer cup in place, other than not having a working speedometer?

I do that kind of stuff all the time. I always find it in the last place I look. Sometimes it takes awhile to find that spot too.

Looked again tonight, still can't find them.

Any downside to riding without them? I can't see how it would cause a problem. Thoughts?

Things are pretty slow in this forum this time of year...
The snap ring only secures the engagement cup right and not the bearings? (It's been a while since I had mine apart) The speedometer assembly does not serve as a spacer either... I honestly can't recall.
I can't imagine running the bike without the cup would do any harm - as long as the wheel is secure from horizontal play. These bikes don't have any computers that require a speed input.
I'd have a great ride with your son - you can always use the tachometer or a GPS if you're curious about your speed.

That's my plan, put it together and run it.

I do believe the speedometer gear box is a spacer for the left side of the wheel, but the cup and snap ring are just along for the ride. I'll try the reassembly tonight and see if it works. Meanwhile I need to order the "lost" parts since there is no way that I will find them until I have spent money on the replacements. 🤦‍♂️

I think "Greenie" is right. As long as you have all the spacers you can
ride without the Receiver. When you assemble the front wheel just
be sure there is no play laterally.

Curiosity got me, and I pulled the snap ring and engagement cup out of my spare tire. Looks like the snap ring holds the outer bearing in the wheel, same as on the right side.

Mine has a slight clearance between the snap ring and engagement cup. Engagement cup moves easily. No lateral movement of the outer bearings. Were driven in. But I think the snap ring is there preventing possible lateral movement of the outer bearing, also.

DaveSz

Attachments

• IMG_2497B.JPG
    IMG_2497B.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2498B.JPG
    IMG_2498B.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for checking
Yeah, I was worried about that too, but then started thinking that the inner race is what gets sandwiched by all of the spacers so I'm not sure how the bearing could move at all. Maybe if the bearing came apart the snap ring would keep the outer race in place?

Last edited:
I was seeing it as the axle and inner races and spacers and all staying nicely in place, but the wheel sliding to the right on the outside surface of the bearings, since the left side snap ring isn't there to stop it from moving to the right. As noted, my bearings went into the wheel hub with some effort, and aren't sliding around in practice, but I think the snap ring is there for that. Fixes the wheel to the outside of the bearings, one on each side of the wheel.

Put 40K on the wheel in the photos, and the wheel hasn't moved at all to the right, and it is not touching the snap ring on the left. But I'd rather ride with the snap ring in place than without. Too much imagination.

DaveSz

Yeah I've never seen that bearing move at all. I'm gonna try and locate a snap ring today from a local bearing shop to use in the interim.

I should have the replacement parts next week and make it right then.

To avoid this in the future , it's not necessary to remove that for a tire change....at least I never have anyway .

To avoid this in the future , it's not necessary to remove that for a tire change....at least I never have anyway .
I have one of the frugal HF wheel balancing stands, and my HF balancer's axle cone won't reach the left side bearing with the engagement cup in place. I have to remove the snap ring and engagement cup every tire change, for the front's final balancing. The cone will fit into the engagement cup on the left, but not so dependable centering. The engagement cup on mine has a bit of wiggle.

I remove it so that the shop mounting the tire doesn't lose it or damage it. Ironic isn't it?

FYI, I found a 1.625 snap ring at Tractor Supply that fit in there nicely until I can get the correct Kawi parts, just in case the snap ring is necessary for something other than holding the speedometer receiver in place. Worked great.

Please check very carefully for lateral play when you assemble without the speedo drive. Your message isn’t 100% clear (to me anyway) on what parts you don’t have. The stationary part of the speedo drive housing does act as a spacer. If that’s the part you’re missing, I think you have a problem.

Please check very carefully for lateral play when you assemble without the speedo drive. Your message isn’t 100% clear (to me anyway) on what parts you don’t have. The stationary part of the speedo drive housing does act as a spacer. If that’s the part you’re missing, I think you have a problem.
I have the speedo drive gear housing, I'm only missing the snap ring and the reciever. I would post a pic but I can't. FYI, I posted the pic on the other Concours site.
For the record, it worked great without the 2 parts I just mentioned. No lateral play, and the only issue is the speedo not working...as expected. Parts will be here from Partzilla this weekend.

You can use 2 jack stands to hold up a MC wheel by the axle for balancing.

I have to extend the jack stands up as far as they'll go but they work great.