• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel indicator issue

mudumbas220

Hi guys need your suggestion.
Got my bike serviced last month. Could not ride till yesterday after the service. The fuel indicator was low, so I stopped and filled her up.
Switched on the engine and indicator still shows the same value. Everything else on the screen is working.
Could you advise me of what the issue could be please.
Thank you

I have been having strange behavior from my fuel gauge also. Often after a full fill up it shows down one bar on startup but after a few miles goes on all bars. Other tmes I will start up with a 3/4 full tank and it shows empty. Recently for a few tanks it was stuck on empty but later started working again. This is an 08 with 100,000 miles. I think mabe the fuel float arm is corroded and sticking. Or it could be dirty contacts on the electrical connector. I have been too lazy to pull the tank and troubleshoot, been riding my 4 other bikes instead.:rolleyes:

I have been having strange behavior from my fuel gauge also. Often after a full fill up it shows down one bar on startup but after a few miles goes on all bars. Other tmes I will start up with a 3/4 full tank and it shows empty. Recently for a few tanks it was stuck on empty but later started working again. This is an 08 with 100,000 miles. I think mabe the fuel float arm is corroded and sticking. Or it could be dirty contacts on the electrical connector. I have been too lazy to pull the tank and troubleshoot, been riding my 4 other bikes instead.:rolleyes:
So mine is a 2012 and has like 28k miles on it. It has been garaged most of its life. I just spent 1500$ on this big service and now this.

A while back someone on here had the same problem. They filled the tank to about 40% and rolled forward hitting the front brake to slosh the fuel around inside the tank to shake the fuel float around and get it loosened up and working properly. Do it a number of times and see if it helps. Might be worth a try since it worked for another Cogger.

A while back someone on here had the same problem. They filled the tank to about 40% and rolled forward hitting the front brake to slosh the fuel around inside the tank to shake the fuel float around and get it loosened up and working properly. Do it a number of times and see if it helps. Might be worth a try since it worked for another Cogger.
Thank you will try that tomorrow for sure. If it works it would be good. It will save me a trip to the mechanic.

While on the subject guys. The mechanic lost the top cover for the USB socket. I am scared that if water goes in there it would burn the electronics. Can you please advise where I could get a cover.

So mine is a 2012 and has like 28k miles on it. It has been garaged most of its life. I just spent 1500$ on this big service and now this.
I agree the fuel level mechanism should not ordinarily fail at only 28000 miles. However if you have been using 10% ethanol fuel and letting the bike sit idle for weeks at a time the ethanol attracts moisure from the atmosphere and this can lead to corrosion. As someone mentioned the first thing to check is that the fuel gauge connectorf. is connected and while you have it in hand disconnectec and clean the contacts and use some contact cleaner to be sure the connection is not th e problem.

While on the subject guys. The mechanic lost the top cover for the USB socket. I am scared that if water goes in there it would burn the electronics. Can you please advise where I could get a cover.

I agree the fuel level mechanism should not ordinarily fail at only 28000 miles. However if you have been using 10% ethanol fuel and letting the bike sit idle for weeks at a time the ethanol attracts moisure from the atmosphere and this can lead to corrosion. As someone mentioned the first thing to check is that the fuel gauge connectorf. is connected and while you have it in hand disconnectec and clean the contacts and use some contact cleaner to be sure the connection is not th e problem.
Can I disconnect and check the fuel gauge connector myself or need to take to the mechanic..

Yes you should be able to fish the connector wires out from the back of the tank and check them with a little effort. They are kinda buried out of sight but accessible. The fuel pump electrical connector is in that area also, make sure you know which is which. By the way I went for a ride Sunday and my guage showed empty and range 20 miles. I filled up and it only took 4 gallons. I cranked up and it stated on empty.
Rode the last 5 miles home showing 0 range. Fired it up Monday and the guage was back working showing a full tank. I am pretty baffled at this point.

Intermittent sender, intermittent sender connections to the main harness are about it unless there's another connector or two in series with that line as it runs to the ECU.

Yes you should be able to fish the connector wires out from the back of the tank and check them with a little effort. They are kinda buried out of sight but accessible. The fuel pump electrical connector is in that area also, make sure you know which is which. By the way I went for a ride Sunday and my guage showed empty and range 20 miles. I filled up and it only took 4 gallons. I cranked up and it stated on empty.
Rode the last 5 miles home showing 0 range. Fired it up Monday and the guage was back working showing a full tank. I am pretty baffled at this point.
Let me try that