• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel leaking from left side after turing on the fuel level 2006 Concours 1000

victor wilder

Had my Concours worked on at J&R Cycles in Marrietta, Ga. Robert pulled the tank off and cleaned the carb's. Picked the bike up last week with not alot of gas in it. Bike started just fine when I picked the bike up. Filled the bike up with gas with fuel lever turned off. Did not have time to ride the bike when I got it home. Tryed to start the bike yesterday Jan. 1, 2022 and bike would not start, I noticed fuel runing down the left side of the engine. Closed the gas lever and fuel stopped flowing out of the bike. I am going to take the bike back to J&R Cycles. My name is Victor and I live in Powder Spring, Ga. I would like to get my bike repaired correctly. Could use any comments to pass on to Robert when I take the bike back.

(Unless it was modified or replaced) The petcock on the C-10 does not have an on/off position.
It has prime/run/reserve positions.
It should be left in the run position.

If you're putting the petcock into the prime position and gas runs out of the carbs, the float valve in one of the carbs is not sealing correctly.

Many of us have had the same problem and its a PITA to get them to seal correctly at the correct Float level.
MANY shops have the same problem with the Connie carbs.

Steve Sefsick has rebuilt many carbs in the club.
If he's still doing it (he has been ill) I highly recommend sending the carbs to him for a stand-pipe install, carb rebuild and re-jett.

Ride safe, Ted

I would definitely not try to start the bike again . It is possible that one or more cylinders have filled with fuel and the bike could hydrolock . Plugs should be pulled to be sure there's no fuel in the cylinders .

On the OEM petcock the lever pointing down is in run mode and let's the gas flow when a vacuum is applied to the petcock from starting and running the engine.

The other two 90 degree lever positions are prime and reserve. As stated you probably moved it to prime which allows free flow of the gas to the carbs as if in run lever position, but you have a float bowl level set to high or the float bowl valve isn't shutting off the gas flow properly.

I would call the repair shop back and say you tried starting the bike by putting on prime (if that's what you did?) and you have a carb leaking that shouldn't be.

Make sure that someone didn't replace the OEM petcock with a manual one first.

Check for hydrolock (possible engine killer) before anyone tries to start the engine as someone has already posted.

All of the above is good advice! You need to become well informed on this subject. Do your due diligence. A sticking float after carb work would indicate carb work less than satisfactory would think. This as others have noted can get expensive quickly if you hydrolock motor.

You need to look and see exactly where the gas is coming from. If it is as Ted mentioned, you could have petcock AND carb issues. If it's dripping from around the petcock, then it's most likely just the petcock. Fuel lines need to be checked as well. I have seen a petcock leak such that it's leaking and dripping gas to the outside and not leaking into the fuel line.