• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel Level Sensor

Roderick

Hello Everyone,

I Just bought a other ZG1000. one from 1986
When I bought it i noticed that the fuel level gauge isnt working.
I know when they work they are inaccurate but this one doesnt work at all.

I removed the tank and saw the wires are cut off from the fuel level sensor in the tank so i gues that one is broken. I will replace it.

I looked further and i saw that a wire is removed from the wiring loom going to the fuel level sensor connector
I only have one wire the other one is missing. I have been trying to search in wiring diagrams but the ones i could download are so worse pixeled when you zoom in i couldnt see the wiring color codes.

Is there anyone with a good Wiring diagram so I could reconnect everything?
Or can someone point me where the 2 wires must lead to?
I assume 1 to the gauge on the dashboard and 1 to ground.
I would like to make it as it was ment orginal with the right color wires and connections.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I don't have that info handy, but have a thought.
It's would probably be easier to just buy the section of harness that goes from the plug to the dash.
Just post your need in the Market place section of this Forum.
I have 1, but it's for a later Model.
I suspect someone will have 1 lying around.

Ride safe, Ted

I assume this is a North American model we are talking about. Your right, at the tank
the connector with 2 wires one white and one black/yellow. The black/yellow is
ground. The white runs all the way to the fuel gauge. At the fuel gauge the black/yellow
is still ground. The brown should be 12 volts (battery voltage) it's also voltage for the
instrument back lighting. With no connection at the tank connector the gauge should
be all the way to the left (empty). If you ground the white wire the gauge should start
climbing to the right. If that works then you most likely have a problem with the
in tank sender. The resistance of the fuel sender should read, full tank 4-10 ohms.
Empty 90-100 ohms.

Rwulf thanks for the information. Appriciate it
I will for sure replace the sensor as everything is cut off

@connie_rider I will try to fix it first its not a hard fix i think.

Last edited:
Rwulf i reconnected the missing wire to chassisground. shorten the white wire to my new ground and the fuel gauge is going to full.
I opened the fuel level sensor. i saw the wires were rotten because of water. I replaced the wires with the correct wire colors and reconected everything. everything works agian thanks for giving me the wiring route. now its fixed properly.