• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel tank leak

Mad-Max

Hi, I’ve recently noticed a leak from my fuel tank the bike a 2008 A8F. The leak is coming from under the seat area. Where there is a black sponge pad about 1/8 inch

thick. Under that is where there is an extra sheet of metal for strength. Its only spot welded in place so it’s an ideal place for water to sit & rot your tank.

The black sponge stuff is hiding the problem & holds water. Great. When it rains, water runs off the tank & under your seat & then between the two sheets of metal.

Slowly rotting the metal.

Has any one else had this problem? Does anyone know a good method of curing this problem besides replacing the tank?

If it's rusted to the point of leaking fuel there are no easy fixes. Some have tried welding but most welding shops won't touch fuel tanks. You might try it yourself with extreme caution! Other than that, I've heard that some use JB Weld which is supposed to hold up to gasoline. I'm not sure I'd trust it over the long term but it might be a temporary fix until you can locate a new tank.

How about using the JB weld from the outsude and then using a tank lining product like kreem, that coats the inside against rust???

Yes, but this guy replaced the tank and then did this: Here is the thread.

Tanks are available for under $100. I heard of this problem years ago and started Appling some Fluid Film about once a year to the seams. Still looks like new.

If it's rusted to the point of leaking fuel there are no easy fixes. Some have tried welding but most welding shops won't touch fuel tanks. You might try it yourself with extreme caution! Other than that, I've heard that some use JB Weld which is supposed to hold up to gasoline. I'm not sure I'd trust it over the long term but it might be a temporary fix until you can locate a new tank.

I used it on the bottom seam of a ZX1000R tank, that had a very bad leak. It began leaking while on a trip. I used the JB Weld Quick product to get back on the road. The affected area was over an inch long and at its widest point, about 1/8 inch. That temporary fix lasted three years, after which I replaced the tank.

I would definitely use it as a temporary fix, but it will work, and it will last quite a while.

The new JB weld fuel tank specific sealer is pretty good, have it on my 1250 Bandit tank and no leaks. Now, before that product, around 1993 the tank on my '84 ZX-750 Turbo started to leak at the back of the tank where the spot welded hold down tabs were mounted. Let the tank air out dry for a week in the heat, then filled it with water and a local welder guy fixed it with a full perimeter weld. No problems. Used air dryer for an hour to dry the tank out from the water.