• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FYI: Givi monoLOCK Vs. monoKEY

philipintexas

Scooter
Industry Vendor
I receive orders from people who have already purchased a Givi trunk without realizing the difference between the two systems.
Generally speaking, monoLOCK trunks are intended for scooters and require the plastic mounting plate that comes with them. If the mounting plate is attached to the stock rack you end up with two layers of flexible plastic. Even attached to a metal rack they are somewhat flexible. There is a metal kit for MonoLOCK trunks but it's hard to find and is more expensive than the monoKEY kit.
MonoLOCK trunks may be a bit cheaper but don’t provide the firmest attachment.

MonoKEY trunks can be attached directly to a metal rack by using the SW-MOTECH mounting kit (All metal). This provides a much more solid set-up and removes all the flexible plastic parts. It also leaves a cleaned rack when the trunk is removed.

Last edited:
That being said... I am on to my third Monokey case, as the first two were lost due to an oxydized metal monokey mounting plate (GiVi original). Having spent over a grand on the V46 and V47, I replaced the metal GiVi plate with the nylon one. Also, I am getting the new V47 mounted permantly, i.e. bolted to the plate, so I don't experience this again. I already have the GiVi light kit for the case installed, the nylon plate also has the provisioned space for the case power connector.

I am a heavy guy, (265 lbs) and my suspension is set to be stiff, so it might be a side-effect of the combination of crappy roads, shocks and vibration, but I err on the side of safe. Seeing the case roll by me while going down an overpass is not an experience I wish to repeat.

I've had the monolock system for years. No problems. The mounting plate is on your rack and it's good. I would not have a trunk on the POS they call the stock rack.

I've had the monolock system for years. No problems. The mounting plate is on your rack and it's good. I would not have a trunk on the POS they call the stock rack.
Twisted Throttle sometimes has a Monolock adapter kit that can be attached directly to my rack and eliminates the extra mounting plate.
Not right now as I have one on Back order, but they have them occasionally. Part number is: GPT.00.152.20300.B
It MAY require some adjusting of position, or slight Modification of the latch plus one extra hole.

I’ve used your rack with the SW MOTECH set up for 6 years. Still tight!