• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FYI - Helmet and Gear Holder I made...

gilbysan

Connie Owners and pretty much anyone who has a Bike.  I wanted a wall mount to place my helmet on while charging my Sena 10C that would also let me hang my riding jackets, gloves, etc.  Something that was secure and with any luck would look nice.  Here is what I came up with.  I work a lot with acrylics and had some thick stuff laying around so built this wall mounted holder and hanger thingy. 

I put three hangers knobs on the bottom.  In the photos you can see two jackets; the one in the back also has a pair of cold weather pants so the hanger can manage a good deal of weight without flexing or breaking.

If you are interested in getting (buying) one, contact me for details.  They won't be expensive, just the cost of my time, and shipping, and they will look good in your garage holding your stuff.

I am also open to feedback about the configuration and such.

Thanks!

BG (gilbysan)

Attachments

• 20170404_204227.jpg
    20170404_204227.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 20170404_204348.jpg
    20170404_204348.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 20170404_204320.jpg
    20170404_204320.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 20170404_204300.jpg
    20170404_204300.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 295
Hi, gilbysan (Bob);
I would be interested in one of these.  I notice you are in Carnation, WA and I'm not far away in Lake Stevens.  I could pick it up so you don't need to ship it.

Wow!  I did not think that there would be this much response from my little project, and THANKS!  Let me do this for all of us.  I need to get real about the cost, etc. 
I will then post another memo on this string to let everyone know what it will take.  Then we can get down to it.

Thanks Again everyone!

BG
gilbysan

:goodpost:

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

Matt

mattchewn said:
Dang!
That would be F A S T !!!  like sofakingfast!  :rotflmao:

Matt
Matt - you're enjoying my new screen name?  I've been a COG member for a few years, and decided to make a new screen name that reflects my maturity level (or really lack thereof).  Last year I traded my C10 for a C14, and wow this bike is just SofaKingFast!  Hence, the new screen name.

SofaKingFast said:
mattchewn said:
Dang!
That would be F A S T !!!  like sofakingfast!  :rotflmao:

Matt
Matt - you're enjoying my new screen name?  I've been a COG member for a few years, and decided to make a new screen name that reflects my maturity level (or really lack thereof).  Last year I traded my C10 for a C14, and wow this bike is just SofaKingFast!  Hence, the new screen name.
Why yes, I am thanks. :)
Matt

Bob, please put me down for at least one of these, and let us all know details when you know them.

Nice work! Thanks for making this available!

Damn BG (gilbysan), looks like you have a full time job with these  :D

And if you sign up on ADVrider.com as a vendor you could probably sell a ton more of them, but take care of your COGger buddies  first  :great:

COGgers,

Thanks again to all who responded to my posting for this Helmet holder thingy.  I never imagined the response would be so overwhelming.  After consulting my Super Computer in Sausalito, CA (those of you old enough might recognize this reference), I have come up with a price of $50 each shipped to you in the US.  For other locations I will have to consult the shipping places to see what it takes to get them to you.

If you want more than one helmet holder, I think I can fit two holders in a USPS flat rate box so that will be the same.  Three may be a bit more, but I will confirm prior to accepting your funds, just to be sure.

Here are the specs for those interested:

Helmet Base - 1/2" Black, Smoke, Clear, or White Acrylic (Please tell me if you have a preference) with front and inside helmet blocks to keep the helmet secure.
Mounting Block - 2" laminated acrylic 3" X 3" pre-drilled and counter sunk holes for mounting.
3 - Hanger hooks made from Acetyl or Delrin for durability and fracture resistance.
I will include 3 - 3" square drive screws for mounting.

For those who want one (or more) please send funds by PayPal to my email: cloudofsparrowsdesign@gmail.com, name: Bob Gilbert
If you want to talk by phone: 425.246.9789

Thanks and safe riding.

gilbysan (BG)

That is very cool but I don't have a place in the garage for it! Too much crap.

I like smoke :great:

PayPal coming. Very cool!

I have three manequin heads for my helmets mounted on a shelf with a closet rod underneath for gear - I thought I was crafty but ya outdone me! This will mount high in the trailer when traveling and maybe in the house when home. Thanks and hope this is fun and profitable for you.

:beerchug:

Fais said:
I like smoke :great:

PayPal coming. Very cool!

I have three manequin heads for my helmets mounted on a shelf with a closet rod underneath for gear - I thought I was crafty but ya outdone me! This will mount high in the trailer when traveling and maybe in the house when home. Thanks and hope this is fun and profitable for you.

:beerchug:

Why move it from house to trailer. Just buy two!

To everyone who place an order, just an update on progress.  All the components are made up.  I am doing the fitting and finishing to each Helmet Holder and will update each of you when your order is sent to you.

Thanks much!

Gilbysan

All who have ordered the Helmet Holder, in case I missed someone, please read this.

An update.  I have all pieces made up and ready for gluing and assembly.  I have three completed and will get the others done over the weekend. 

The number of orders received equals exactly the quantity of plastic I had on hand; meaning that all orders will be honored.  (thank goodness).

Please see the updated photos attached to this message.

Thanks for your patience!

gilbysan
Bob Gilbert

Attachments

• 20170413_190146.jpg
    20170413_190146.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170413_190348.jpg
    20170413_190348.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20170413_190526.jpg
    20170413_190526.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 20170413_185919.jpg
    20170413_185919.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 123
Are you going to continue making them, or make them to order? 

As soon as I can I will be ordering 2 more if you are.  It will be a couple of weeks though.

All,

Cognosticator asked if I will continue to make these Helmet Holders.  Here is the straight poop for these things.  Like many of you I am a tinkerer and can't resist an opportunity to make something that improves my life or the lives of others, particularly fellow Coggers.  That was the genesis of this project.

The batch just produced was made from scrap I had laying around and cluttering my already cluttered shop/garage, ergo the $50. price, of which by the way $18-26. went to shipping cost.  If I had to buy the materials each one would cost me just about $75. again plus my time and shipping.  The time it took to make this version was excessive, but I had already cut up the pieces so had to just motor through the process.

One question I ask myself is- is this Helmet Holder worth $90-$100?  Well, to me the answer is yes because I like the way it looks and it holds my $600 Helmet and $350. Intercom/Camera better than anything else I have seen or used.

Another question is- how much more cheaply could it be produced?  It is possible to have it made in China at a low cost, but no, for things like this, I am committed to hand-made items, made in the US.

I have since figured out how to make a much simpler version, using less acrylic requiring less machining, routing, sanding and polishing, etc.  I also want to incorporate a holder for the Keyfob and the Emergency fob/key.  All I need to do is figure out much it will cost for materials and for my time to produce in some quantity.  Once this is done, I will be happy to announce to the CoG.

Thanks to all who bought a Helmet Holder and please watch for the newer version which I hope to post in a week or two...

Sincerely,

gilbysan

Hi Bob/gilbysan,

Thanks for the update as I'm looking forward to this product and the new changes like keybob holder. Is there room for glove holder between or off to the side of the jackets? Just spitballing... Anyways, I'm local in Issaquah and can save us time and shipping when you're ready!

Cheers,
Robert

Really nice Bob... I wish i had a place to put it, or two, one for me and one for my wife!
Well done!

I appreciate you making the helmet and jacket holders! Mine looks great in the garage and is very convenient to store gear.  Thanks, Bob!

Attachments

• +MC-HelmetHolder_20170421_004_DSCN9981.jpg
    +MC-HelmetHolder_20170421_004_DSCN9981.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 116
  • +MC-HelmetHolder_20170421_007_DSCN9984.jpg
    +MC-HelmetHolder_20170421_007_DSCN9984.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 121
I'm interested in 2.0 as well if you are still checking this thread and gauging interest. I've been out of pocket and sorry I missed out on the first batch. Really nice work and well engineered!

UJMRIDER,

Thanks for the good words!  I am working through Version 4.0 right now and hope to have some ready shortly.  It will incorporate a couple of significant changes, notably a key holder and use a single piece design which makes it much simpler to produce and does not sacrifice strength. 

Regrettably, the pricing will be higher.  The first batch used up all my 1/2" acrylic (which was given to me), and shipping costs turned the whole exercise into a loser for me.  The is what drove the new versions.  I am working hard to keep the pricing to something that is reasonable for you and makes it worth my time to make.  The most important thing is that it works well and looks great. 

Attached are some photos of the V4.0 piece for review, please check them out when you have a chance and if you have any feedback I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks!

gilbysan
Bob Gilbert

Attachments

• DSC_5176.jpg
    DSC_5176.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_5183.jpg
    DSC_5183.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_5172.jpg
    DSC_5172.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_5170.jpg
    DSC_5170.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 122
I go away for a weekend and you're posting pics of version 4.0 already ?!  :)

I love the progression - good stuff -  :beerchug:

All,

mattchewn got his 2 holders in and one had a problem.  I thought I had packed the doubles well enough but apparently not.  If you have any issues with yours, please let me know right away so I can remedy it for you.

Check out the V4.0 Helmet Holder attached to this note.  The work continues...

Thanks!

gilbysan

Attachments

• DSC_5193.jpg
    DSC_5193.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_5172.jpg
    DSC_5172.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_5176.jpg
    DSC_5176.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_5170.jpg
    DSC_5170.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 99
Very nice workmanship and design, i was thinking if it would be better to turn over the key holder (the hook) 180 degree to face toward the wall, in which case you can make slightly bigger hook without the need of having the front being tighter (as the slop will keep the keys hanging)? Hope this make sense so it makes it easier to slide the keys in and out?

DarenLine,

Good feedback, thank you.  It is not that visible but I used double stick tape to place it there so changing it is not a problem.  Also, the hook is actually a hook used to tie down loads on tractor trailers, (I think).  Just something I had laying around.  Trying to find a better hook that will secure to the acrylic and is easy to make...

Watch for the next iteration shortly.

Thanks!

gilbysan
Bob Gilbert

Coggers,

Update, now at Rev 5.0 for the Helmet Holder.  Based on feedback (thanks!) I incorporated two key ring slots, one on each side of the base plate.  I have not yet figured out where to put the FOB, I place mine in the crotch of the front "V" mount for now anyway.

Check out the photos attached.  I am making up another batch of Holders, these will be in Clear Acrylic only.  I will update again when they are ready to ship out.

Thanks much! Safe Riding!

gilbysan
Bob Gilbert

Attachments

• DSC_5224.JPG
    DSC_5224.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_5213.JPG
    DSC_5213.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_5214.JPG
    DSC_5214.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_5200.JPG
    DSC_5200.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 127
Ok Bob, now I'm impressed! I like ver 5.0! I would do the same with my FOB and put it in the "v" holder with the helmet, but use the sides for hanging my gloves since they come with a clip to hold both! Let me know price so I can pull the trigger!  :great: :great:

Interested in v5!
How much would it be, shipping included, to Ontario, Canada?

Thanks!  :beerchug: