• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Garand shoot Cancelled

Tim R

Here is an email I received from Ralph Malone.

The dates I am interested in the NW group paying attention to is March 18th and September 26. These are John C Garand matches where if you have not a shot an M1,Someone will help to not get your finger bit.   I also want to make it clear you do not have to have a rifle to shoot. Being a range with an organized event I belief we can loan a guy or gal a rifle without breaking state law in several ways. So if you don't have a Garand we will loan you one for the match.

Hey buddy, I haven’t sent this list out yet, but the following are our planned Shooting dates for he 2020 summer season.

I hope you can participate, or if the arm still isn’t up to it, maybe be our Range Master and call the line.

The dates are:

March 28th.  OWC Garand Match.  Roger Sylvanus Memorial

May 9th, OWC NRA Regional Course, 80 shot Highpower Match

June 20:  OWC NRA Regional Course 80 shot Highpower Match

July 25th  Riverside Sportsmen’s Association NRA 80 shot high-power match.

So last year the match fee was $45.00 I believe. But this also includes 55 rounds of 30-06 and this surplus  shoots pretty good. They issued the same stuff at the 07 Nationals for the John C Garand match and I won a Bronze like out 1300 shooters. That was of course before the stroke. For the Garand matches there is an affidavit that must be signed and notarized for that range. Only do it once and good to go. In the past we have had a volunteer Notary at the range and we could take care of it there.  In a nut shell the CMP doesn't want to issue a certificate for those who are not allowed to have or purchase a firearm. The CMP certificate fulfills one step in being able to order a CMP firearm. 

August 22nd.  Riverside Sportsmen’s Association NRA 80 Shot Match.

September 26th.  OWC Christian Johnson Memorial Garand Match.

Dan was a fire fighter who was badly burned and succumbed to his injuries. He used to come to the Garand matches with a rifle slung over his shoulder and riding his Harley. I can imagine there might have been a few concerned citizens but no one ever called law enforcement to check him out.

Thee is a couple of motels in the area, I can do some checking of prices if everybody wants. The Waterville Hotel is out because it would be at least a three hour ride to get to our range. 

Also The John C Garand match was about use stock as issued M1's. The rules have relaxed some so if want want to shoot you AR, AK, 03 or SKS feel free. You get to provide ammo for you r non 30-06 rifle and the range fees go down because your not buying the surplus.

Lunch The H$ Moms or I should say Mom brings out a grill and while shooting the slow prone fire gets orders. I like the double cheese burger with a bag of chips and a water for $5.50. They have single patties and hotdogs too if your cheap. Water is .50 cents I believe. I always get a couple f those during the day. 

In addition, the Chelan Gun Club is thinking about doing a Garand match or two this year.
Their range is at the top of Antoine creek off the old road to Chelan the takes off just south of Wells Dam.
They came up to the Okanogan match last year, and Chad and I went down to their range in the spring and shot with one of their guys that came up.
I”m willing to help them get the CMP Approval for their matches, and tell them what they need to get in terms of targets, pasters, and match equipment if they have the funding and the energy to follow through.  If they do get their act together, would you consider helping them by being a Range Officer and running a match or two for them?  I plan to come down and shoot with them, so I could do it too, but it would also be great if you were willing to help them.  Their potential schedule is limited because their range is closed from June 1 to October because if fire hazard.  (Too bad they don’t do some vegetation control so that their impact berms are clean, and then control their shooters.  They have burned the range down 5 times in the past, so the County won’t let them be open in the summer any more.)

We love new shooters, and old ones that we don’t see very often too.

You would be the perfect guy to help them with the CMP paperwork (Eligibility affidavit) if they are new to CMP Games in Okanogan.

Its always better if your traveling companions are capable of accurate fire power. (Ralph, you have no idea)

It was good talking to you last night - And I’m really delighted that you had a good experience in Old!!

If you have questions please feel free to ask. Shooting is one of my more favorite things.  I also have some (limited) equipment I can loan out. Tim

What is OWC and where is it?  I just looked up OWC and Operation Wealth Creation in Uganda.

Also, what is CMP?  Canadian Mounted Police?

Chris

I should include the course of fire. All will be done at 200 yards with reduced targets with the exception of the standing an sitting positions which are shot at 200 yards any ways. You get 5 sighters to get your sights set.

First course of fire is standing. 10 rounds in 10 minutes for record.
2nd course of fire is rapid fire sitting. Here you have 60 seconds to fire 10 rounds for record with a mandatory mag or clip change. There is plenty of time so no need to shoot fast, just when you have sight alignment.
3rd stage is prone rapid fire 70 seconds to fire 10 rounds for record with a mandatory clip or mag change. We load 2 and 8  for tin the clips and or mags.
4th stage. 20 rounds for record in 20 minutes which is slow fire prone.

For you old NRA shooters the CMP rules are you start in position. No standing to sitting or prone. I kinda miss the old command "shooters rise"  They still have shooters rise in the NRA approved matches but I like the CMP rules, I'm getting old.

Finally the guys I shoot with and who are putting these in are law abiding citizens. We have no, nada, none who are on the weird side. Just good upright people. Some even ride something other than a Connie.

Why I am I putting this out. I think there are some who will have a hoot because the John C Garand match is a hoot. And of course nothing wrong with making some perfume on the range. And of course you might get to hear me yell at some poor soul who had a snfu. 

Daboo said:
What is OWC and where is it?  I just looked up OWC and Operation Wealth Creation in Uganda.

Chris

CMP= Civilian Marksmanship Program. Took over for the old DCM program. 
OWC= Okanogan wildlife Council. Yep I'm taking you all to Uganda  ;)  Would be an epic ride eh?

The range is just out side the town of Okanogan in the county of Okanogan.

All US stuff.

TimR said:
Daboo said:

Chris

CMP= Civilian Marksmanship Program. Took over for the old DCM program. 
OWC= Okanogan wildlife Council. Yep I'm taking you all to Uganda  ;)  Would be an epic ride eh?

The range is just out side the town of Okanogan in the county of Okanogan.

All US stuff.

Thanks for keeping it alive man.. being a DCM (that term alone, dates me...)  "child" of the late 70's, and doing it thru the 80's, I miss it.. sad I passed my DCM rifle off to a fellow in my club, after its' time in my hands.. It was re built twice, by the Springfield armory staff,over the years,  at National Match, when I owned it.. man, sweet machine... miss all the free ammo also, but the cases are still mine. (you have no idea, just how much time it takes, to re-purpose 30k rds of brass, into usable/serviceable/re-loadable ammo.. very time consuming I will say.  :mad:  )

as for sights.. yes, Iron sights... that's the way it always was, even tho in later years "classes" became available for "unlimited combos".. but those were mostly shooting 1000 yd.s... yeah, you heard that right. Camp Perry, in my home state.

shoot straight you guys and have a "blast" of a time.  :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

rich not a problem. I shot on the China Lake team from 87 to 90. For the fleet matches the rifle shooters would go at lunch and shoot 60 rounds of 45 to help get the numbers up for the pistol shooters for awards towards distinguished. EIC wards depended on number of shooters. Sure helped when it came to LEO reserve academy. people were impressed I shot 96% with a checked out of the base Armory a NM 45. 

I bought my DCM M1 for $167. looking back it was most likely a correct Springer but I turned into a heavy barrel, heavy stock 308. first time I shot it I shot a 714 and was impressed. Full range course to boot. But as I age and the barrel wore I discovered the AR. Cheaper to shoot with much much less recoil. 80 gr SMK's fly out to 600 very nicely. I had dreams of going out to 1k but never made it.

The stroke really put the damper on Hi power. My left leg won't let me do sitting. Plus my shooting coat shrunk. So what I do not is call the match and give pointers when I can. I let people borrow equipment at times. I have a low mileage AR that I won't lend out but the high mileage one still shoots good so I have no problem.

I have a story I like about the Kenmore range in Bothel. I decided I was going to shoot a match, had never been there before and directions were not all that great. I got there a little late. Shooting had not started but because squading was already done they would not let me shoot. Keep in mind I had driven 200 miles to get there. Pissed me off. So I decided I was going to go shoot a match there and take some of their money. I did too until I met some guys who were closer. A comment that about killed me I was told my M1 shot groups like an AR.

Today that M1 needs a barrel. The gun Plummer who put it together is no longer with us. So I'm going to try to save some money and have a stainless Krieger stuffed on it. The Krieger barrel on my low mileage AR makes no copper. Period.

So now what I'm doing is trying to get a 357 Cow Boy II Marlin sighted in to shoot Cowboy Silhouette. That's all standing. Tim

HeavyRotation said:
Maybe a stupid question, but what are the rules on sights, iron only?

We are a pretty relaxed group except when it comes to safety. Garands came with iron sights. But, if a guy shows up with a AR, SKS, AK or any thing the is safe to shoot they will not be turned away. A .50 would be questionable for a 200 yard range. So I don't see why Optics would turned away. We want people have fun and do it safely. I don't own any Junker Garands so if you need to borrow one I think I have one you could shoot if that is what you are worried about.

And since it is an actual range for a match loaning a rifle in WA state to shoot is not breaking transfer laws. The Garand guys how ever will be competing for medals and/or a trophy. Medals are based on number of Garand shooters and scores.

And again if you don't have a Garand you can come anyways because there will be loaners. I have yet to see a loner that was not capable of winning the match. Plus an experienced Garand shooter will be there to help newbies out to the point of almost being one on one. 

A link to print off the affidavit needed

http://old.thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Affidavit.pdf?ver=20191029

I talked with the behind the scenes guy who informed me he/they were out of surplus 30-06.

We are very particular on Garand food. If you an find a M2 Ball equivalent all is good. PMC, Federal and a couple of other brands might also have it. Of course one might run into surplus. I would not trust ammo produced by India. No steel cases. Steel is lacquered to make them slip out of the chamber easier but is a pain to remove from the chamber after shooting the stuff.  SKS or AK have fun with it.

For those who reload. Probably the cheaper what to go. in a GI or Remington case. 46.7 grains of 4064 with a 155 gr  "Palma" Sierra Match King  and a CCI 200 primer is a good combo that shoots very well in my Garand's. I found this load will hold the ten ring at 600 yards if I do my part. Not a particularly hot load but again shoots very well. I found with no changes a 150 and 147 grain bullet also shoots well with this load according to my reloading notes. Other powders that will work is Varget, IMR 4895, H4895, R 15, IMR 3031 and those powders with that approximate burn rate. The problem with a slower powder subjects the op rod to excessive speed and can bent it. The original Ball 2 ammo was loaded with a powder very similar to H4895 with a 152 gr FMJ.

Typically the case neck will hold the match bullets because they do not have a crimp ring.  Be sure to check the reloading manual.

If you want to shoot one of my rifles, the rent is $35.00 which would include 55 rounds of Grand food.

This year because there isn't any surplus ammo available the match fee is $10.00.

I'm also working on a local motel to give us a Good rate. any questions please feel free to call me and or PM. Thanks Tim 

Just tossing this out there for ya

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20483.msg253672#msg253672

lots of variations here:  (I wouldn't suggest the tracers tho...)  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifle-ammo/30-06-ammo/military-surplus-30-06-ammunition-144-grain-full-metal-jacket-lead-core-tracer-can-of-loose-400-rounds/

here also, but stay away from the steel case stuff... I've shot a lot of foreign manufactured tho.. all seemed good..
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/30-06-ammo?sort=round_low

All my "empty" brass, is Lake City M2, which has been saved for like 40+ years... reaming primer pockets gets old REALLY quick...

good luck on your shoot    :great: :great: :great:

Rich brings up a good point, no tracers.

Rich's link on 06 ammo has some good deals. I might have to point out some of the deals to buy for later matches to the guys who put the match on.  M2 ball for less than 90 cents is a good deal. again, no steel cases. But steel cores are ok. it's hard to set sand on fire. Tim

I hate to suggest this but if you are having trouble finding suitable M2 ball shoot me an email at redc14rider@outlook.com and we can come up with something if serious about shooting the match.

I recently sent out an announcement of our Scheduled M-1 Garand Match which will be March 28th at the Okanogan Wildlife Council Lower Range.

In that I mentioned that the OWC will NOT be buying ammo and issuing it for this match as the cost has become too high through the CMP.

The Good News is that Kim at Dave’s Gun & Pawn has found M-1 appropriate ammo from Privi Partizan that is 150 grain bullet, and it was specifically loaded to M-1 Garand Specifications.

I have used this brand of ammo in my M-1A with great results, and it is reloadable brass.

The ammo comes in 25 round packages and the price is $16.75 for a package.  Thats 67 cents per round, way better than the 92 cents per round that was the price of the CMP commercial ammo.

Since the match is a 55 round match, it will take 5 rounds more than two packages to shoot the match, but you will end up with 20 rounds for pre-match practice if you buy 3 packages, or two guys can split 5 packages and end up with 15 rounds to fight over.

So, if you need ammo for our Garand Match, OR if you have a Garand, and just want some appropriate ammo, go see Kim.

DAVE'S GUN AND PAWN : 509 826-0544 Where are you going to buy store bought 06 for .57 cents a round? No one will have a problem with this stuff going through their rifle.

KIM is a great gal. What I like is she doesn't try to get her months rent off one sale some of other the other shops might be doing. I bet she will have the ammo at the range for the out of towners if you ask. Depending on turn out for COG members I would be willing to buy an extra box to get the 5 rounds needed.  I don't like going to riverside where Dave's Gunn And Pawn is located. I usually end up putting something on lay a way that I don't need. Last was a Nylon 66. Never wanted one before.

Motel Info Brewster/Pateros

Brewster Motel is $71.07 for a single bed. 88.08 for two beds. WWW.APPLEAVENUEMOTEL.COM  509 689-0400

Pateros Motel. Single $86-89 ! Queen bed but if there is a 10% senor rate.!07.90 for 2 queens but only one gets a senor break.

Remodeled some time back. River view from every room. I believe they have a camp fire ring. http://lakepaterosmotorinn.com/  509 923-2203. toll free 866 444-1985

Breakfast: Not sure when the Mud House opens  for breakfast but might be a good spot to get everyone for dinner. Good food and not out of line.  We do have a McDonald's too.

Pateros: Has the Sweet River Bakery which is down the street westbound from the motel. It opens at 6am and popular because they don't mess around. Good coffee too.

Howards at Pateros is beyond what most want to spend but it is nice. Howards has a restaurant, but years since I've been in there. Too much $ for what you get IMHO.

The range is easy to find. Take old 97 from Brewster. It will end at 20. Nice ride by the way, at 20 turn right. Just before entering the town of Okanogan there will be a sign on the left that says "DUMP" on 20. Turn Left and go up the hill. There will be another sign that points you to the dump and follow it. On the left there will be a dirt road. Continue through the gate and a little further you will see the range. Go through the range gate and park.  Opening shots are at 9am. I would recommend arriving a little early. Travel time driving 55 is about 40 minutes to the "dump Sign. Then another 5 minutes to the range if that. Maybe I could put some pink ribbons on the signs you need to turn at once on 20. Tim

Great to see the old rifles shooting. We have an M-1 program at my range also, it's always well attended. We fielded an all fire dept team at the 1998 NTIT at Camp Perry in Ohio held during the CMP matches. The NTIT was originally designed to be shot using the Garand. We got a lot of attention when we walked to the ready line, all good. The military guys had a hoot watching us shoot these antiques and rooted us on during the match when they had fired all their rounds. I used my pre-war but also have a mid-1944. Shortly after, John C. Garand matches were being held at Perry. Hmmm. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, but there were a lot of folks looking at us and watching us and asking a lot of questions. BTW, we did NOT finish last.

NTIT  AKA  "Rattle Battle" National Team Infantry Trophy

In 2007 at Camp Perry John C Grand Match I missed a silver by 2 lousy points so I ended up with a bronze. Better than most I suppose. But I won $200.00 from Springfield on the 1st M1A match. Wish I could still soot.

From the Springfield winnings we went to Walmart and I bought a air conditioner for me and the roomies. Sure had better nights with that thing running in the hut.

The huts were interesting. Camp Perry was a POW camp in WWII. One day the GI's dumped off some lumber and told the POW's winter is coming. So they built 4 man huts. I think most are gone now. In 07 one could stay in a hut for like 11 bucks a night. WE were next door to the WA state JR boys team. Never met a nicer group of boys. I think we kept them up at night.

I stayed in a hutment once, man you had to have some sort masochistic streak to actually and willingly stay in a hutment.  Much better at East Harbor State park, even in a tent, I was better off. ;D

Tim, I assume you know about the Garand Collectors Assoc and how they field numerous teams at the matches at Perry?