• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Garmin 590LM Battery Charging Issue

ghostrider990

I've owned my Garmin 590LM for about 5 years now, since the C14 was new.

It's a nice unit with a ton of features.  It's not PERFECT, but I don't know of a better dedicated GPS unit - hence why I bought it.

After about the first year, I noticed that the battery would not seem to hold a charge, even after being in the charging cradle riding all day.  Non-charging was confirmed by manually plugging into a wall charger with the same effect.

As I'm gearing up to go to the National this summer, I decided I should start looking for a new battery unit for the garmin, as it is (mostly) a proprietary unit LiOn 2000maH, small battery pack with dedicated wire harness. $50 from Revzilla.
While I strolled through various google searches on battery replacement, I came across this:

http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.com/2017/06/garmin-zumo-590lm-battery-fix.html

Lots of current comments on how well this works.  I won't go into detail, but it's a fairly simple fix (albeit at a MICROSCOPIC level) and anyone can do it.  Be warned:  You WILL need a magnifying glass to see what you're doing!

Needless to say, it took me about 20 mins to dissect the tiny wire harness, and put it back together carefully.
But the result is working well, and the battery now holds a charge!

If anyone else is having this issue with their battery holding a charge when not connected to the bike or plugged into a charger, this little fix WORKS, and saved me $50.

hope this helps.

gr

Thanks GR!  Good find. The battery life on my unit has never been that great and getting worse. See you at the National.

4Bikes said:
Thanks GR!  Good find. The battery life on my unit has never been that great and getting worse. See you at the National.

Let me know if this works for you!

I haven't had it back on the bike yet, for testing, but it passed the wall-charger test, and ran in stand-by mode for hours off the bike.

Something to note: unless you do a HARD on/off (long press the button on the back) the unit will typically go into Sleep mode, not Full OFF.
I think I've never really paid much attention to this, but it does contribute to the overall draining of the battery when not plugged in, or docked on the bike.  Just FYI.

gr

***UPDATE***

For what it's worth, my garmin sat unused / uncharged for about a month, and when i went for an extended ride this weekend, I had the same "non-charging" issues as before.

Again - not sure if the battery pack is failing, but it really seemed to not be accepting a steady charge from the cradle on the bike.

I may charge it from the wall charger and see if that cures it. 

Just FYI.

gr