• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Garmin or Tom Tom ?

Suzzz

The title says it all... Garmin or Tom Tom ?

I'm partial to Garmin having owned 2 in the past and being comfortable with their platform but I'm open to switching to a Tom Tom depending on the features, reliability and waterproofeness.

Pros and cons?

I started a thread that you may find interesting.  http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/tomtom-rider-550/  This subject is near and dear to me, since my Garmin 595LMT went flying off the bike and I never found it.

The jury is still out regarding the TomTom Rider 550.  As a navigation device, it is superb.  The menu is different than a Garmin, but is totally centered on navigating you.  The screen has more useable viewing space than the Garmin products.  It is bright, clear and since you can see under the things like the sidebar, you really have virtually the entire 4.3 inch screen for viewing.  Also, it can be looked at in either landscape or portrait mode.  The portrait mode, once you use it is something I think you'll want to stick with.

The only "con" I have, is the non-navigation interfaces.  Specifically, if you want to take or place phone calls, or listen to music.  And for that, it'll do it...but you have to be smart.

I finally figured out how to pair the TT 550 with the secondary BT phone channel on my Sena.  Once I did that, the conflicts I was getting have disappeared.  Those conflicts were my fault.  As I look back on it now, the "conflicts" were simply that I was using the TT 550 and Sena headset in the single channel mode.

Answering and making phone calls is done through Google Assistant or Siri.  Same with music.  The first seems to be pretty straight-forward.  The second, is not so much.  I'd like to be able to control the source easier.  And that's where the Garmin products shine.

Garmin doesn't just provide a way to link your smartphone, but it holds your hand while doing so.  You get a lot of bells and whistles on the Garmin in comparison.  Both GPS's will allow you to make a phone call pretty easily.  The Garmin allows you to open up your contact list and get the name of the person you want to call.  Or go down through the list of Recent phone calls.  You can do that on the TT 550, but you'd probably do it by stopping on the side of the road and pulling out your smartphone.  You probably should do that anyway, just to be safe.

With the Garmin, you can pick the source of your music through a menu.  With the TT 550, you need to be familiar with how the smartphone's voice assistant chooses your music per your commands.  Both will do the job, but it is how they pull it off that differs.

My biggest objection to the Garmin products is their use of screen real estate.  On the 395/396 or 595, the info bars were small and didn't block much.  The two info buttons on the bottom that showed your speed and another statistic of your choosing, were readable, but small.  On the Garmin XT...they are huge.  I mean really HUGE.  I wouldn't be surprised that you can see more of your route with the TT 550 and its 4.3 inch display, than you can on the Garmin XT and its 5.5 inch display.  It's that obtrusive.

And the Garmin has tossed in the kitchen sink for built-in apps.  Some are useful, like the weather.  But I've had problems picking up the weather on my 595LMT.  So it may be of limited value.  It'll connect to my inReach SE...but my smartphone already does that.  So when you look at the features and apps...ask yourself if you'd ever really use them, and if they would get in the way of what you want to do.

Chris

Thanks Daboo!

I'll check the thread you suggested but your explanation is very helpful. I go on bike rides to get away from the phone so that feature doesn't really interest me although I do pick up calls now and then. I mostly want to be able to listen to music and hear the GPS. Weather is a cool feature to have but not absolutely necessary.

Thanks again for your opinion!

I agree.  I can get weather on my phone.  I'll admit it was cool to use the weather feature (the only time it worked) on my way through South Dakota.  There were thunderstorms all around me, and I could see my route between them, and watch as they moved on the screen.

I have my own playlist of Hillsong's worship songs that I like to play.  I think if I simply open that up first, it'll play that when I want it. 

I'm using it on the way to Kamiah for the Bun Cooler Lite, so I'll get a chance to see how it works.

Chris

I just ordered the Garmin Zumo XT to replace a Zumo 660 that was damaged when it fell. (SAT antenna ripped off PCB). The XT has 5.5" screen and a bunch of other features. I will write up my impressions once I get it and have time to use it.

One thing I like about Garmin devices is having Basecamp to create routes on a computer and download to the GPS.  What tools like this are available for Tom Tom?

TomTom has a far simpler map and routing program, called TomTom MyDrive.  With the simplicity, comes less features.  But it'll make a route up and transfer it over wi-fi to your TomTom.

You can also use other third-party apps like Kurviger, My-Route app, etc.

Chris

Shizzle said:
I just use my phone with the WAZE App or a Map App of your choice.

I prefer keeping my phone charged in case I need it to make a call and are those apps using data?

I thought for a bit about using a smartphone for my motorcycle GPS.  I would never though, use my smartphone that I use daily and rely on for a phone, camera, etc.  I've read a few threads on various forums where someone used their new iPhone and had the camera's image stabilization fail...making the camera useless.  And trashing an expensive smartphone.

The alternative is to buy one of the "ruggedized" smartphones on the market.  You can get one on eBay for @$100, more or less.  It all depends on the model and the condition.  You don't need "data" to use one of these, or even a phone account.  They'll connect at your home via wi-fi, where you can download the mapping program of your choosing, and download the maps you need.  You never need to connect it to a cell phone provider.

It sounds like a perfect solution, and it is for some people.  For myself, it wasn't.  I heard rumors that some of the ruggedized phones were slow.  I suspect the older ones that are cheap are slow, and the newer ones that aren't cheap are fast.  By that time, you're getting up in cost.  I've also seen that some phones can't take the heat from both the sun, and their internal processors as they try to compute your location and routing, and also providing a bright screen.  I know I've seen one of my own phones shut down in the heat...but that was years ago, and not recent.  So for me, it would take some research that I decided I didn't want to do.

Chris

I like to run a Garmin GPS along with my retired cell phone. (Samsung s-5) The GPS has my pre-planed active route on it that I worked out on BaseCamp. It is only looking forward about 2 miles. The cell phone has an offline map program on it. I use MapsMe. It will work with or without a data connection world wide after you down load the maps. It is set at about a 20 mile range to give me an overview of what is close by as I ride the small roads. It is also a backup if the primary GPS fails. It will do point to point routing if you want but I have not taking the time to learn more complex routing.

Most common  cell phone apps do use data to keep updating the maps as you drive. On the smaller roads I like to ride I am out of cell coverage in several locations. Last labor day weekend on a trip in the car we got off the planed route to get gas in the NY city metro area.
WAZE was not able to recalculate the route due to data time out errors. I suspect high volume of data on the Holiday weekend. The Garmin had no problem. WAZE came back after we got out of the area but I had to stop and restart it.

I have no experience with a Tom-Tom unit I imagine that with a little learning they are a quality unit also. GPS unit or cell phone they all work, it is just if they work the way you want. What ever you chose take the time to learn how it works and so you can get the most out of it.

So I've had the Garmin Zumo XT for a few weeks and can offer my take on it. First the screen size, display brightness in any low or bright conditions and orientation is fantastic. Coming from the 595 these areas have improved a lot. Also using it and interacting with all the features, settings, etc is much more responsive and quicker. Not that the 595 was slow in operation but the XT is noticeably quicker when you need to get to a setting/feature, or zooming in and out on the map.

Music/BT pairing...
From the music side and pairing with your choice of BT headset (mine being a Sena 20S) is great hands down. You'll see a bottom status window pop up on next music track from your playlist. If you want it displayed all the time, then yes it will overlay on the right side and as Chris mentioned it will take at least a small portion of the screen. Dialog can be easily closed, so it's a matter of opinion/preference on what matters to you most for map viewing/navigation. And if you prefer to listen to your music locally using mp3s/playlists instead of BT streaming from your headset, works great with a microSD card (not included) installed.

Apps/features...
Yes this is an area that Garmin excels in! Traffic and weather which seems to be the norm in any GPS is excellent compared to the last model. As a previous user of the 595, this feature is much better and refined where you had to select this feature to view weather or traffic. Not so with the XT where it knows your area and will notify you with that right side window overlaying your map again can be closed quickly. I was riding local roads and already knew there was construction on my route and notified me ahead of time!

One of the big features added to the XT is now the Birds eye view. Its like the satellite view of Google maps where it comes in handy to see the landscape, trees and topography all in one. Yes this feature requires some data but if you select your area or planned your route, it will do this ahead of time when your XT is at home with the Wifi connection it now supports. And yes the built-in Wifi helps for future firmware and map updates without having to plug the XT to your computer.

Chris hit it on the nose with the smartphone pairing and phone calls. Again no change here from the 595, just know that if you need to find a contact, or when placing a call or incoming, XT can handle this with no issues. And if you have any text messages, those show up in that right window where you can dismiss it. I do wish Garmin and maybe TomTom can add a canned auto-replay feature to their GPS when a text message comes in telling the person they're riding and will get back to them. Just a safety/time feature that vehicle GPS (carplay and android auto I believe) incorporated and moto system need to have.

I don't have any issues with the 2 small info buttons on the bottom, easily customized with temp, speed, direction, fuel/mileage remaining, etc. Maybe its XT's bigger screen or Garmin did make the info buttons smaller but its not obtrusive as you would think. Definitely helpful with the map navigation and would not want to close this if it were a window.

So far I'm very happy with Garmin XT, much better and improved in many ways. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either this Garmin or a TomTom, just do your research and balance what matters to you most.  Sure you can use your phone for some/most of these but if you ride in the rain and/or using gloves, can your phone handle these scenarios? Some of us keep the phone in our pockets, tank bags when its raining and so you you might not worry if you don't ride in inclement weather.

Anyway, here's a short clip of a ride I did yesterday with the XT in view. Not to be a XT review ride, more of just enjoying the weather!
https://youtu.be/ehNHoh98Q9w

-/Robert

PS> Don't judge me on the YT vid, I'm not a regular vlogger like some are, just wanted to ride and get out. Excitement, caffeine and sunny weather to blame on excessive throttle and garbled words. :)

Thanks for all your comments guys! I started this being partial to Garmin and I still am, thanks to your very informative comments. I'm not quite ready to buy yet, maybe in a month or so, so I still have time to ponder on it.

Nice ride Robert!

robertv said:
So I've had the Garmin Zumo XT for a few weeks and can offer my take on it.
Anyway, here's a short clip of a ride I did yesterday with the XT in view. Not to be a XT review ride, more of just enjoying the weather!
https://youtu.be/ehNHoh98Q9w
-/Robert

Forgot to ask... what attachement are you using for the GPS?

I should note that the Garmin mount includes the Ram 1in ball and reservoir mount. If you prefer to mount it somewhere else or off center, Ram has a wide selection of mounting systems for GPS, phone, etc. https://www.rammount.com/consumer/on-road/motorcycle

The tech mount came installed when I bought my C14. If it didn't I would go with the Ram fork stem ball base instead of the tech mount.

-Robert

robertv said:
PS> Don't judge me on the YT vid, I'm not a regular vlogger like some are, just wanted to ride and get out. Excitement, caffeine and sunny weather to blame on excessive throttle and garbled words. :)

Out of curiosity, what camera are you using, where on the helmet is it mounted and where and what do you use for a microphone?

garage monster said:
Out of curiosity, what camera are you using, where on the helmet is it mounted and where and what do you use for a microphone?

I have a Neotec helmet so had to carefully think of safety, visibility and ease of use when I mounted the Hero8 off center near the flip-up button. Previously had the Hero7 but having the external mic adapter dangling with a lapel mic routed into the helmet wasn't ideal or safe. It was a big step up in $ with the Hero8 and their new media mod accessory yet much more elegant and safe. Credit to this YT vid where he lists most of the items I'm using. I don't use the dirt bike cam mount, just the sticky GoPro mount => https://youtu.be/PxwN56W0n80

So I used the TomTom Rider 550 to and from the Bun Cooler Un-Rally this weekend.  I'm looking forward to the Garmin Zumo XT that should arrive tomorrow.  It'll cost more, but I think it'll be worth it.

The TT Rider 550 is a good GPS.  The route perspective is great for glancing at the upcoming road and using that info for setting up for the next couple turns.  The info on the screen takes up very little space, yet is easy to read and understand at a glance.  That's great.

Some things I noticed, in no particular order.
  • The map detail is poor by today's standards.  Most of the time, all I saw was a flat green screen with the route.  Things like bodies of water that I was used to seeing with my Garmin 595, didn't show up unless they were really large.  I realize that is eye candy, but it is nice to see something about what you're riding through.
  • The route guidance side bar shows things at a glance like gas stations, traffic, etc.  The concept is great.  But several times, I drove by gas stations that didn't show on the side bar.  I need that info.
  • The Google Assistant is the interface to your Android smartphone to get it to do the smartphone things...like make calls, play your favorite music, etc.  It was hit or miss.  Mostly miss.  When I asked it to open Google Music, it did.  When I asked it to play my Hillsong Playlist, it did once.  Most of the time, it opened the YouTube app to play someone else's music.  I think it was following the route of where the money is.  Maybe it was Google's fault and not TomTom's, but I wanted it to do what I asked it to do with no fuss or bother.  And it didn't.
  • The TT Rider 550 will display in either portrait or landscape mode.  But the screen orientation changes very often as you lean into a corner, or hit a lot of bumps.  You can get around that by locking the screen orientation, but that keeps you from changing the orientation as you want on the fly.

Chris

Chris,

If your Zumo XT doesn't arrive in time, you're more than welcome to check out mine. We can meet for a quick ride/social distance coffee! I think you'll be happy with the XT over the 595. I can't say for sure if you'll like the screen real estate taking up space when seeing gas, food, or cities ahead, but IMHO I actually like it since when I'm riding its a good reminder what I might need. And the map as well as the route is very visible with topo items showing like a lake/river or mountain.

I've discovered if you don't like or use Basecamp, you can now use Garmin's new app Explore or their web version to create and share routes. It's leaps and bounds better over their old clunky Basecamp app. It's free, no subscription fees, just use the same Garmin account you used to register your device under Garmin Express. So much easier using their web app Explore to create routes, then sync with your XT!

I think if there were some nitpick cons with this device are the keyboard. It's now a split qwerty keyboard where one side of the keyboard you can enter the letters, but to get to the other half of the keyboard you have to remember to use the left or right arrow. It's kind of annoying but I guess if you're riding or stopped, its easier with gloves to type at a bigger letter button.  The other con and its minor is the why did Garmin go back to the mini-USB cable/port? Not that it's bad as I have some old spare mini-USB cables but I would've thought with today's technology that they would have went with USB-C or stuck with micro-USB as the 595 had this.

-Robert

I bit the bullet and bought the Zumo XT. Over the years i have used Magellan and Garmin and my Zumo 500 had served me well as I am an IBA member and used the 500 on my coast to coast ride. Lately it has acted up and the screen has always been hard to see in bright sunlight even though I had a hood for it.
The Zumo XT arrived last Thursday and by Friday night it was mounted in place of the 500. Saturday was a 562 mile ride and the result is??????

The XT is the best GPS I have used. The screen is super clear and easy to see at all angles. The mapping includes the topographic texturing that shows your surroundings and it is very fast whether mapping a new destination or just changing screens. I love it.

There was a mention of the keyboard and you can use the QWERTY key board with the big keys or choose the smaller keyboard. This thing is worth every penny.

:iagree:

Just got a Zumo XT. Began learning how to use it on the bench over a week and took it for maiden voyage rides over the holiday weekend. I like the screen size, resolution, and update performance. The ability to have topo is a plus. The connection to phone Garmin Drive app brings weather, traffic and phone data onto the GPS.  Have read rumors the touch display may not be as responsive when wet - will have to see how that goes. Still more to learn. So far it's a keeper.

So I have Garmin, TomTom, and Igo Primo navigation.  I got the TomTom a few years ago for the winding roads feature.  IGO is on the head unit I installed in my truck to give me back up camera, gps,  and bluetooth.  Oh, I also have whatever system they use in a Toyota.
Of the 4, I like the way Garmin interfaces the best.  All of them will get you from point A to point B, but the Garmin has the more intuitive interface.  Easier for me to input the destination.  It also seems to have more detail about surrounding areas.  It's nice to see what's nearby, in case you want to explore a bit off your programmed route.  I can get along with the others, and tried hard to like the TomTom.  It does what I want, but is pretty no frills.  If/when I need to replace it, Garmin will be my new gps.

For those of you who have the Garmin XT, it is my understanding that there is no 3.5 mm connector for audio output on the device. I am wondering if there is audio output on the mount or if there is some other alternative.

Texas Concours14 said:
For those of you who have the Garmin XT, it is my understanding that there is no 3.5 mm connector for audio output on the device. I am wondering if there is audio output on the mount or if there is some other alternative.
I'm going to assume the XT requires bluetooth for audio.  Being mc specific, I'll bet the thought is you wouldn't hear directions without some sort of headset so why add the audio connector.  That negates using your favorite earbuds plugged into the unit.

Texas Concours14 said:

Correct- there's no 3.5mm jack but now the XT has a built-in speaker for audio output. You can hear your music, button presses and notifications.

And yea it would be hard to hear when riding depending on your m/c + wind but maybe at lower speeds you can hear the audio.

The Zumo 595 had the speaker in the Auto mount. When you connect it to the motorcycle mount you could use bluetooth or an audio jack in the motorcycle power cable for a headset. The amp and speaker in the unit wouldn't be big enough to hear while in motion. My Zumo 396 has a speaker but disables it in the motorcycle mount bluetooth only. Both units know when they are being powered by the motorcycle mount. I have Sena SMH10 comm units that connect with the GPS for voice directions, phone and music.